Samsung S95B QD-OLED first impressions, Projector Calibration tips, AV & Hi-Fi News & more

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
This week Phil gives us his initial thoughts on the Samsung S95B QD-OLED we purchased last week. Does it have a defeat device to trick calibrators and reviewers? Is this the ultimate OLED TV for picture quality? Plus we look at tips for calibrating your projector and the room it is used in. Ian rounds up the latest Hi-Fi and AV News, while Ed gives us the latest Hi-Fi news and his album, playlist and vinyl of the week…

Presented by Phil Hinton with Ed Selley, Julian Scott, Ricky Jennings and Ian Collen

Email questions and feedback to [email protected]

This podcast is sponsored by MPB, the simplest and safest way to sell photo and video kit. Free up funds from your kitbag and get paid fast. Find out how much MPB will pay you HERE.

00:00:00 - Start
00:00:26 - Welcome
00:08:40 - Competition
00:09:40 - Sony VPL-XW5000ES and Sony VPL-XW5000ES projectors launched
00:13:58 - 8K TV growth slower than expected
00:19:30 - HiFi Rose unveils RA180 integrated amplifier
00:21:42 - Samsung QE65S95B OLED TV first thoughts
00:37:55 - NAD C399 Integrated Amplifier Review
00:42:32 - What is the best way to calibrate a projector?
00:56:50 - Ed's album, vinyl and playlist recommendations

These links will be live following the live stream

Direct Link

To watch the video with the live chat, click the YouTube logo in the video window
Support us by making a donation at avforums / Streamlabs
Become a Patron at AVForums is creating Videos | Patreon
Your donations help us to improve the website, publish more editorial and make better podcasts. Thank you.

Last edited:
Sounds like the Samsung is heading for a really low score. Maybe a firmware update can improve it but dodgy build quality is also a concern. It’s a shame that they are not trying that hard with what is one of the most exciting panel technology developments in years

Thanks gents for another good listen, Phil's initial thoughts on the Samsung are intriguing and no doubt his published review will be proof read thoroughly in view of some of his suspicions. Could the poor build quality ( hence lower RRP ) and UI be possibly Samsung trying to get to market before Sony?

Last edited:
Samsung TV division didn’t want to sell QD-OLED just yet, and apparently this was forced on them by Samsung Display. Interesting stuff and makes sense considering their stance with QLED and this being half baked.

Sounds like it is not quite where it should be in terms of build quality,accuracy in filmmaker mode or software behaviour. Whoops. Look forward to the full review.

@CaroleBaskin I'm not sure it was forced on them, I thought SDisplay invested in the new tech, but SElectronics didnt want it as led is king, and so SD went elsewhere and Sony, Panasonic and Phillips showed an interest or so the story went earlier last year.
Now SE are also purchasing WOled panels from LGDisplay...couldn't make it up

@CaroleBaskin I'm not sure it was forced on them, I thought SDisplay invested in the new tech, but SElectronics didnt want it as led is king, and so SD went elsewhere and Sony, Panasonic and Phillips showed an interest or so the story went earlier last year.
It’s bizarre, isn’t it? I’ve read that Samsung Electronics we’re pushed to buy surplus panels or something along those lines. I could be wrong and of course it’s all speculation.

What’s this about them purchasing WOLED panels??

See this post for some background

Nope I'm correct. Have a look at the article below. And be wary of confusing the four- yes four (!) - different companies involved in this OLED tv "dance":

1. LG Display- makers of OLED and LCD Display panels for TVs, phones, laptops etc
2. LG Electronics- TV manufacturer which uses LG Display's panels
3. Samsung Display - makers of OLED panels for phones and notebooks, LCDs, and now also QD-OLED
4. Samsung Electronics (or more accurately Samsung Visual Display) - TV manufacturer which buys panels mainly from Samsung Display but also LG Display and Chinese manufacturers.

SVD has until recently been reluctant to back QD-OLED and there's a lot of corporate politics at play here:

SVD is indeed now looking to buy LGD's WOLED panels... in addition to Samsung Display's QD-OLED.

In terms of Samsung Display's QD-OLED 'trouncing' LG Display's WOLED - well maybe from a performance standpoint, but remember that LG's WOLED manufacturing capacity (two 8.5G fabs in Paju, Korea and Guangzhou, China) is much higher than Samsung Display which has a single QD-OLED production line. WOLED is much, much, much cheaper and becoming moire of a mass-market display tech.

Woow in the end this tv is pure fake crap and all this US tv youtubers are just clickbaiters hunting for clicks....

Well if this doesn’t play out well, Sony A95K it may well have to be, but my concern there is the stupid stand they have used. Why ditch the stand of the A90J which was literally functional and perfect. Doesn’t make any sense. I’d have to make a custom length plinth to sit on a tv stand that’s already got a soundbar in situ

Or just wait for next year Samsung model wich will for shure be much better.

Who needs QD OLED when I have the Samsung 75Q950TS QLED? It’s in film maker mode and I have the black shadow detail on -5 and the blacks are incredible nearly OLED levels. 1500 nits and got rated the best TV of 2020 and since QLED has just gone backwards in terms of black levels according to AVF reviews just measuring the black level as 8 out of 10 not 9 out of 10. 👍

Where have you seen that..? I tried a rudimentary Google but couldn't really find it, TP Vision, Philips etc. I would absolutely love a (QD) OLED with Ambilight in the Living room with a relaxed ABL for sports etc. Might come next year if you read a source about it then.
Thanks

Who needs QD OLED when I have the Samsung 75Q950TS QLED? It’s in film maker mode and I have the black shadow detail on -5 and the blacks are incredible nearly OLED levels. 1500 nits and got rated the best TV of 2020 and since QLED has just gone backwards in terms of black levels according to AVF reviews just measuring the black level as 8 out of 10 not 9 out of 10. 👍
Having owned the 8k Samsung the blacks were "good" especially during the day time but at night time with the lights out the blacks are no where close to the OLED. Also -5 shadow details seems like your just crushing the shadows and losing a ton of shadow detail trying to make the screen look darker.

Where have you seen that..? I tried a rudimentary Google but couldn't really find it, TP Vision, Philips etc. I would absolutely love a (QD) OLED with Ambilight in the Living room with a relaxed ABL for sports etc. Might come next year if you read a source about it then.
Thanks
I’m sure I read it on here somewhere pre CES, but having had a quick look can only find articles referencing Panasonic, TCL …

So apologies for getting you excited.
If Panasonic and TCL do offer it in 2023, I don’t think Philips will be far behind.

I’m sure I read it on here somewhere pre CES, but having had a quick look can only find articles referencing Panasonic, TCL …

So apologies for getting you excited.
If Panasonic and TCL do offer it in 2023, I don’t think Philips will be far behind.
Damn if Panasonic comes out with a Qd- Oled, I might just get weak and buy one to replace my HZ 1000...:D
Provided Panasonic can keep their quality up though...

Having owned the 8k Samsung the blacks were "good" especially during the day time but at night time with the lights out the blacks are no where close to the OLED. Also -5 shadow details seems like your just crushing the shadows and losing a ton of shadow detail trying to make the screen look darker.
Yes, it did do that on a lot of sources so I have now put it in standard mode and shadow detail down to -5 again and Bingo no crushing and shadow detail still remains. I have tried it on a lot of sources now and it’s proper sorted it. Black levels on QLEDs are great only second to OLED. When you shut the curtains black levels only get better but not as good as OLED. Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another good podcast. But I miss the hardware guys talking about what they have been watching on TV, discs or cinema. I know there is a AV Forums movie/TV podcast (Which I of course listen to). But they don't talk about a lot of regular TV such as Taskmaster, Masterchef, Top Gear etc...

Could this be brought back, either as part of the hardware podcast or have a crossover/handover between the hardware and software podcasts?

It’s been nice not hearing about aircrash investigation though ;)
A lot of the original tv stuff I liked was watched by Steve though, so current setup is fine by me, guess it’s hard to get a balance…

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom