1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung Replacement ?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Bacus, Mar 27, 2005.

1. Bacus

Bacus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,421
    Well it looks like there may be a replacement coming up for the samsung 50" !! Rumers have said this and now the sets are getting the big price drop at last ! So does anybody know any more news on this ? IS there a newer model coming out very soon ? :rolleyes:

2. mistycat

mistycat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am sorry to say, but a replacement will be a while. The current model is too popular in the US and now here to stop selling it. Most stores have orders for them. I don't think Samsung expected their popularity in the UK, therefore the short supply.

The replacement is going to be released in the US this summer. No plans to bring to the UK at present (although some cheaper models are possibly on the way due to a deal with the BBC on the intro of HD televisions prior to the intro of HD in the UK).

3. Bacus

Bacus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,421
    Can you be sure of this ? it seems odd that the price is starting to drop if there is still much demand for this screen. I have placed an order for this telly but dont want it to be replaced as soon as i get it ! :eek:

4. JZEE

JZEE
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The Samsung 1080p models are expected in the States at the end of April - perhaps you're referring to these? They will be labled as HLR and will probably be much more expensive than the current ones.

Samsung demonstrated the prototype 1080p models at CES and apparently people reported that there was a very visibile PQ improvement over the current HLPs.

5. Bacus

Bacus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,421
    So do you not think there will be a replacement for this set out yet and that i am still safe to get the sammy 50" ?

6. malso

malso
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Samsung's top-of-the-line HLR6768W makes digital television history with a 67" screen, the largest ever in a DLP TV. But that's just the tip of the innovation iceberg for the 68 series of Samsung DLPs. A unique floating screen design separates the screen and bezel from its base to create a stunning visual effect even when the set is off. The cutting-edge Cinema Smooth™ Generation 5 HD 1080P engine provides the highest available level of image precision and flicker-free playback in a DLP TV, and the 30 watts of audio provides ample sound for operating independently of a surround sound system.

The 68 series features the latest version of Samsung's celebrated DNIeä technology that combines a detail optimizer, motion optimizer, contrast enhancer and color optimizer to provide superior picture quality. The 68 series offers the ultimate in device connectivity with two HDM inputs, two component inputs, two composite video & one S-Video. Each model features an ATSC Tuner / NTSC Tuner, and the sets are Digital Cable Ready (DCR) with built-in CableCARD™. Cinema Film Mode 3:2 pull down and the Samsung AnyNet™ System Solution complete the package for the ultimate in performance and convenience. The 67" HLR6768W will be available in June 2005 for an MSRP of $6,999. Additional models in the series include: the 56" HLR5668W will be available in June 2005 at $4,199 MSRP. The 56" HLR6168W will also be available in June 2005, for an MSRP of $4,499.

"Watching sporting events on the HLR6768W is almost better than being there," said Panosian. "The winning combination of best-in-class image resolution, DLP technology and a huge screen places Samsung's customers right in the center of the game. Film aficionados will be blown away by the quality of their DVD playback - it is a truly cinematic experience."

Also on display at CES 2005 is Samsung's 67 Series of DLP televisions. The core series features an elegant, table-top casing incorporating Samsung's striking new floating screen design. Ranging from 12" to 17" deep, and weighing from under 70 to 120 pounds, the 67 Series provides a slim, lightweight addition to any home décor. All of the sets feature an ATSC Tuner / NTSC Tuner, Digital Cable Ready (DCR) with built-in CableCARD™, and Samsung's convenient AnyNet™ System Solution. The Cinema Smooth™ 720P Engine, enhanced DNIe™ and 30 watts of audio power ensure that each model produces superior video and sound quality, bringing home theater to the next level.

All four models in the 67 Series will be available in April 2005. The 46" HLR4667W will be positioned at MSRP $2,699. The 50" HLR5067W will be positioned at MSRP $2,999. The 56" HLR5667W will be positioned at MSRP $3,499. The 61" HLR6167W will be positioned at MSRP $3,799.

there's also a massive 67'' version DLP

pretty damned cool, :D :D :D....also that's a good price too; if it's correct....now i have to wait till august anyway...so i'll go for the 56'' version...forget the samsung 50 available right now, its old technology; wait for this beauty instead....makes sense.....the reviews i've read, other than this tells me it's excellent

Attached Files:

7. Bacus

Bacus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,421
    Yep that looks and sounds the nuts, but do you thinks its safe to say that if i buy the SAMSUNG SP50L7HX now, that it wont be replaced a week later ?

8. malso

malso
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    forget the sp 50L7....wait for this one :D :D :D :D ....mind you it might not be available here until xmas, plus i dont know what the price will be here....but why buy the current one, if this new one is miles better and the reviews say its the best DLP in the world, by a fair way too. :eek: :eek:

9. Bacus

Bacus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,421
    The price will probely be twice as much as the 50L7 if not more.... i am talking reality here !!

10. DLPCurious

DLPCurious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Malso,

Not sure what you mean about good price? Do not be under any illusion that US prices will apply in UK. Safer to assume they will be about double to three times more expensive here. On top of that I think we are unlikely to see them before next December (just in time for Xmas) So by next summer they may be availabel at a reasonable price.

Sikenny you beat me to it :eek:

Sikenny,

Just remember there is never a good time to buy. Your set will always be overtaken by another model. On saying that £2,000 is a lot of money to spend if you are feeling indecisive about it.

11. malso

malso
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes you could be correct....but it's still very exciting isn't it. :D :D

i doubt it'll be too expensive though, if so they wont sell many.....so you say 5000 pounds, no way..i say more like 3000 for the 56''....because over 3000 is already too much, it just depends what they're aiming for...because very expensive DLPs dont sell, that's what Currys said anyway....why do you think they drop in price?

12. Bacus

Bacus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,421
    I am not really feeling indecisive about this as i have already ordered one of these sets ! I just dont want it being delivered then find that the reason behind the price drop is for a newer model to come out a week later ? I know it is never a good time to buy and sets are always overtaken, but forking out over 2 grand ! I dont want it to be replaced within a week , if you know what i mean ! :suicide:

13. malso

malso
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    this new version means the existing sammy will drop in price anyway and this is why it might be doing so.....but if this new one is miles better, but only an extra grand....i.e 3400.....i'd go for the new 56'' and it's an exta 6'' too......i'd wait any time any day and any place..:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

14. malso

malso
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The problem is i dont know how good this advanced DLP is, when it's hooked up to current DVD players...Sky/ freeview etc....it might be no better than now...a bit like the tosh 46, being only really good on HDMI.....

i'd therefore go for the sammy 50 and wait another 2-3 years, or somebody here might already know how good it'll be from those American forums...you see in 3 years time, you'll have new toshibas, sony, phillips etc....this new sammy might therefore be outdated in 3 years time...

its a real worry i know, but sooner or later you've got to buy something...and you want the best you can get now...and for me that's either tosh, sammy or the rd 50.....wait 3 years for this next technology............i'm moving towards the sammy 50 only.

i'd go for the rd 50 if their customer service was better....but being poor really scares me.

i think the clue is to get the sammy 50, but also a top quality DVD player only...the better the player the better the P.Q....that seems to be what i read, next i've got to find out what's the best way to view terrestial tv...because i've got to get that right too..i might go for Freeview

15. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Optoma have a good reputation as regards fixing any faults or refunds for problems on their sets, they are the only company to guarentee no dead mirrors.The customer service is poor but they are by no means unique in this.
    Somebody had a demo of the RD50 last week but chose the Sammy 46"
    HD3 set instead . A well set demo is really the only way to tell what set you prefer.
    If you are in a good reception area a good rooftop arial & freeview digital will IMHO give the best picture quality for terrestial TV & for football watch using the DLP set's own tuner.

16. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,504
    Steve have you got your HDMI adapter yet? Ive lost count how many times I have heard 'we will post one out to you'. In fact I have heard it so many times that i might just buy one and bill Optoma for it.

17. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No but i was told by Optoma that the RD50 did not come with one.
    I find Optoma to be a bit like Jeykl & Hyde on the one hand they seem good at resolving faults or giving refunds on the sets's.
    The customer service side is sadly lacking , online manual is very poor & lacking in basic knowledge such as how to care for the screen. Unreturned phone calls (do not bother leaving messages on voice mail hold on for the operator instead)
    With just a little effort it could be a lot better an extra couple of pages added to the manual would only take an hour or two. How hard would it be for them to supply you with a DVI/HDMI adaptor ? or to keep us better informed. Optoma are not the only manufacturers with this attitude if you read the Sagem & Toshiba threads
    :suicide:

18. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,504
    I was told that Optoma had a delivery of 1500 HDMI to DVI adapters. Tight buggers wont give me one. I agree with the comments except for one,

'on the one hand they seem good at resolving faults'

They never resolved the region 1 judder that was left to its cusomers, ie you and me.

I think the worst part of Optoma is that they dont return your calls or everyone is in a meeting whenever you call. This can be very frustrating.

19. St_ve

St_ve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Razor i did say resolving faults or giving refunds.
    I find it best if i ask for someone i've been dealing with & if they are not available explain the problem & ask to speak to someone else.