Samsung remote control problem

The Sorcerer

Established Member
Reaction score
Like many people we have a Sky box in the living room and I've run coax into the bedroom from the Sky RF2 outlet, so that the bedroom can also have Sky. OK, it's not 'multiroom' and it means that the bedroom can only watch what the living room is watching but it's good enough for us.

I never had any success with Sky's 'Magic Eye' for remote channel changing so we use a Powermid system to enable channel changing from the bedroom, which works really well - or at least it has up to now.

A few days ago our bedroom TV died so we bought a Samsung UE32N5300 to replace it. The living room TV is also a Samsung, a UE48H4203.

The problem is that the infrared signal from the Samsung remote in the bedroom is being picked up by the Powermid and affecting the TV in the living room. For instance, turning the TV on in the bedroom results in the TV downstairs being turned off if it's already on (or on if it's off). Altering the volume in the bedroom is also adjusting the volume in the living room and so on.

We never thought about the possibility of this interaction or we'd have gone for a different brand of TV for the bedroom, but we can't take it back now so just what can we do?

I don't suppose there's any way of 'retuning' the bedroom TV and its remote to use a different set of IR codes to the downstairs TV and remote is there?

It's not a huge problem because once the bedroom TV is on and volume set, channel changing is done by the Sky remote and box. The main problem is really if we decide to go to bed early and finish off a programme up there, because there are no physical buttons on the TV, switching off the bedroom TV with the remote switches on the downstairs TV so I have to scurry off down there in the nuddy to turn it off again!

Panic over!

Turns out that the red 'Standby' LED isn't just an LED. It's also the remote control sensor AND you can actually press it and get a graphic up on screen - each press of the button moves the choice along and a long press on what you want actions it.

Page 15 of the user manual (he says sheepishly) :D

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom