Samsung recognising Network Storage

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by jeffcl, Jul 29, 2012.

1. jeffcl

jeffcl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just bought a Samsung UE37ES6710 - great set, very pleased.
    I have a D-Link Network Storage device that holds all of my music and photos (2TB disk - no operating system). The Samsung sees the device and will navigate to the Music folder on it, but then stops. Same with the photos. I copied a music folder to a PC on the network and the Samsung saw it no problems.
    Any ideas on how to get the Samsung to play my files from the network device??

2. plaxy

plaxy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  3. jeffcl

jeffcl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No Allshare doesnt want to work with a NAS, only with files stored on the PC that is running Allshare.

4. plaxy

plaxy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    But surely it's Allshare on your Samsung TV that has to see your NAS if it's going to be able to play your music? Sorry if I'm missing something.

5. jeffcl

jeffcl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Plaxy, although Im probably missing something !
    My Samsung sees 3 External devices. The NAS (which it states is an Allshare device) my Laptop (which it states as an Allshare device) and the Laptop again as a Windows Media device. This last one does nothing.
    When I view the folders on the Laptop Allshare device - no problem. I can see Music, Videos and Pictures and drill down to the actual files.
    When I try to view the folders on the NAS device my TV comes back to me stating there are no files.
    So my TV is seeing the NAS but not letting me get to the files in it. (There are hundreds)

6. jeffcl

jeffcl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    By the way - I have tried using Allshare on my PC and stating that the NAS drive is a 'My Computer's shared folder => No luck
    I have tried creating a Mapped drive on the PC (using the NAS as the path) and then tried the above => no luck.

7. plaxy

plaxy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Jeff - thanks for the explanation. I'm struggling to understand how this stuff works, as you can probably tell. I hope someone will come along with a solution for you soon.

8. niall campbell

niall campbell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Why are you using Allshare ?

When I download files I have to take the largest file out of the folder & drag and drop it into my Video folder.

So if i got Star Wars and convert it to AVi file for example , there maybe 5 files in the Star Wars folder. I then drag & drop the largest file straight into the Video folder ; then DELETE the original Star Wars Folder.

My Panny Tvs dont like SUB Folders.

9. jeffcl

jeffcl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Niall

Only because it was on the Samsung - I am rapidly losing faith though !

Its a bit of a drag if I have to do this with Music as well, so I have to chose individual songs from my hundreds of albums and drag them into a folder and then delete them again !!!!!

10. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,156
    Allshare is Samsungs rename of DLNA and their botched implementation of it. DLNA works on a server and client system, there is also an optional controller section too which can act as a middle man there are loads of these available for phones/tablets.

The NAS doesn't run Allshare it runs another variant DLNA server though D-Link are known to use a UPnP server which is a precursor to DLNA but it still compatible to a degree. The DLNA standard is barely one at all and these sort of interoperability issues are what's happens because of that.

First option, check no firewall is enabled on the NAS, that can mess with DLNA. Disable the DLNA server, reboot the NAS and enable the server again to give another go.

Second option to overcome these problems the good DLNA servers include device profiles so the server can work with client x,y or z. Unfortunately the server on your NAS may lack these, one way around this would be to install Serviio on the D-Link NAS which is an up to date DLNA server but it requires some technical work, if you don't feel up to the challenge maybe a friend could help out.

Third option, see if there are firmware updates available for the NAS, if the NAS is running Twonky (one of the most common commercial DLNA servers) the updates to Twonky would only be available through the firmware update. It's also possible to manually install Twonky on D-Link NAS but requires buying it first, it's not free like Serviio.

Fourth option, contact D-Link tech support and complain to them, I doubt they will do anything.

Fifth option, install Serviio or Mezzmo on your PC and add the storage paths on the NAS into them, however this means you still need your PC running in order to stream media. Dont bother with the PC Samsung allshare server it's rubbish.

Sixth option, screw DLNA and get a media player which doesn't need it like a WDTV Live, you browse the NAS directly same as a PC would. Though it will work with DLNA too if you want to keep on that path.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  11. niall campbell

niall campbell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    D-Link | Support you can check for a firmware update as already suggested

I would go for an alternative player as well . I am a big fan of Games consoles like Xbox 360 or PS 3 , as they can play DVDs as well ............... but the choice is yours.

Theres a lot of stuff in the market .

12. jeffcl

jeffcl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the clarity gents - I will try some of these.

13. dave77

dave77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +244
    I had a similar problem with my Samsung TV accessing my Win7 PC via AllShare, it would see the DLNA server but would not go further. I had to go to the Win7 PC sharing settings which showed an attempt to connect from the TV but a status of disallowed, changing this to allowed fixed it. Maybe your server has a simlar setting?

14. jeffcl

jeffcl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks dave77 - I am using a Vista laptop and tried the security and share settings but with no luck.

Since Next010's post I have moved on a lot -
    Tried Serviio on the laptop - works great.
    I have now bought a Qnap NAS server that although is more expensive than the D-Link outperforms in access speeds and has Twonky built in. Just need to install it tonight, load my files from a spare drive I had and see how it goes without the laptop on.
    Let you know if you're interested.

15. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,156
    You can run Serviio on QNAP NAS too.

QNAP are definitely worth the extra price the D-Link NAS are very poor.

16. jeffcl

jeffcl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes - all up and running within an hour. Works without the laptop, enabled Twonky by one tick box.
    Just got to copy all my files now, another 8 hours !