1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung Rear Projection Advice plz...

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by RMCF, Jun 27, 2004.

1. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    I was considering buying a Samsung SP42W4HBX/PX rear projection TV

This is not for sale at £850 at Comet stores.

This would be my first venture into rear projection and was wondering if anyone can give me first hand advice / experiences on this TV or these range of TV's from Samsung and if they are good, bad and what the faults might be.

Many thanks for any assistance!

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    For what it's worth,I looked at a lot of RPTV's prior to buying a Toshiba,and found the Sony's and Toshiba's has very good picture quality,especially when fed with a decent signal etc,but the Samsung and a few others,e.g.Thomson just looked washed out and lacking in contrast and detail.

Be sure to look at as many as possible prior to buying,and take a DVD you know well with you,and get the shop assistant to hook up a DVD player to the TV for a while.

3. markymark34

markymark34

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +323
    i have a (broken) SP42W4HPX awaiting return from sky.
    I have been very impressed with it for the money (i paid £600 for it).
    I have looked a lot at the toshiba RPTVs and in my opinion the toshs are a better tv. Theres a lot more knowledge about them here on the forums too.

the picture quality on the samsung is more than acceptable but the sound really is bad! If you have a decent home cinema setup that wont be a problem. I love my tv but it is making a funny noise and the picture isnt stable so it has to go back and skybuy dont have any more.

Does that price include the stand?

Mark

4. ayrshiredude

ayrshiredude
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had one of these and it was quite simply the worst picture that I have ever seen on any TV. Any movement turns the image into a total smear which becomes, in my opinion, unwatchable. It also doesn't seem able to display colours correctly. Skin tones would look grey or a washed out white and other colours didn't look natural.

The sound is also pretty poor as it tends to sound a little distorted at times.

I have finally settled down to a new Sony KP44PX3 which is an amazingly good image. Natural colours, smear free image and great sound. Certainly it is a bit more expensive than the Samsung but the improved image is well worth the extra.

My advice would be to stay well clear of the Samsung RPTVs