1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung RAMBUS Memory

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by MRW, May 9, 2003.

1. MRW

MRW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hello chaps (and girlies),

Once again I have to turn to the expertise of you guys for your help!

I have an Advent 3504 - from PC World (don't ask :rolleyes: ) and I want some more RAM.

I currently have 256 MB of RIMM RAMBUS Memory installed, manufacturered by Samsung, manufacturer's part number MR16R0828BN1-CK8.

I would like to buy an extra 512 MB of the same, but the part number will be different. I have tried the likes of komplett.co.uk, overcolckers.co.uk, dabs.com and insight.com/uk etc etc, but to no avail.

I would like to stay with Samsung if possible but does anyone out there have any ideas where I can get this memory from??

Thanks in advance,

Matthew

2. vexorg

vexorg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    overclockers.co.uk have both the PC800 and PC1066 Samsung Rdram. A Mail to their sales people will confirm the part number and possibly compatibility.

Link to OCUk Rdram

Vex.

3. MRW

MRW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks vex,

I have emailed them...

Rgds,

Matthew

4. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    i don't know if you can use the two modules together. is it a 32-bit rimm or a 16-bit rimm (my numbers could be wrong).

basically, the older-type rimms had to be installed in pairs, matching pairs if i remember correctly. You could get away 1 RIMM by using a slave board - basically a blank PCB - that foll the mobo into thinking there are 2 modules

The newer type RIMMM didnt have this problem - they could be installed individually.

5. vexorg

vexorg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    James made a good point about the various type of RDRAM, its it more likely that you have the PC400 variety as few PC makers went for the more expensive single Rimm option.

Your manual should confirm the number of sticks you must fit at the same time, as well as Advent themselves.

V.

6. MRW

MRW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi vex and James,

Thanks for your replies.

So what you're saying is that I might only be able to buy exactly the same configuration as I already have, ie 2 x 128 MB modules, if I have the older type of RIMM?

I will have to do some more research...:rolleyes:

Matthew

7. vexorg

vexorg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not exactely, you need to have the same type of RDRAM, so you could use 2*256 pc400 and 2*128 pc400 but not a mix of pc1066 and pc400 rdram.

A search on google for the advent 3504 shows the motherboard to be an intel board

www.uktsupport.co.uk/advent/faq/pc/3504.htm

The intel site shows the spec of the board as follows including the memory configuration.

http://support.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/d850gb/gb_mem.htm

So if this is your motherboard... you may have either 2*128 rimms of pc600 or PC800

Checking the Samsung site there is a matrix of Rdram info showing your memory part number to be PC800

http://www.samsung.com/Products/Sem...dule/NormalRIMM/MR16R0828BN1/MR16R0828BN1.htm

Hopefully, there is enough info there to keep you going... :)

Vex.

PS ... back to work now... Im typing so much .. people think I'm busy
    :devil:

8. MRW

MRW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    OK, but I'm almost certain that I have pc800 RAMBUS at the moment. I will probably get 2 x 256 mb modules of pc 800 RDRAM.

You're right though, I have already tried the memory matcher, but the 3504 seems to be the only PC model in the world not to be included! It also seems to be the only Advent model that uses RAMBUS. Weird. Anyway, crucial don't sell RAMBUS anymore...

Yes, I do, but bear in mind that this is a manual for a PC sold in PC World, so the most technically detailed information in the manual is 'how to plug your computer in', so the manual is no help!

Thanks so far!

9. vexorg

vexorg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    oops not sure what I did to that previos post... I think I edited... I should know better...

10. MRW

MRW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    That's brilliant, Vex, thanks!!

Now I just have to find somewhere to buy the 512MB (2x 256 modules) from!!!

Matthew

11. MRW

MRW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi guys,

Just to let you know...

Out of all the companies I have emailed so far, I have only had a response from www.pc-memory-upgrade.co.uk based in Ireland.

The chap there has been incredibly helpful and informative, and although it looks like I will be paying slightly above the odds for the 512 MB, he seems to be worth it!

I'm waiting for him to get back to me about how to order. I will let the forums how everything goes, it looks like I will be recommending him/them very very highly indeed.

Matthew

12. mephistopheles

mephistopheles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  13. MRW

MRW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi mephistopheles,

Thanks for your post.

The reason for not going with overclockers.co.uk is that they seem to have a p*ss poor attitude to customer service. I have no doubts that they are very informative and helpful when it comes to getting an order from someone and taking their money (indeed, they do advertise some very good prices), but those customers should just hope and pray that they never have to return their goods for a refund.

My brother had a very unfortunate incident when overclockers recommended some RAM to be totally compatible with a motherboard (both purchased from them) and it turned out that overclockers knew for a fact that they weren't compatible. My brother has since tried several times to reason with overclockers and get a refund, but has even had their customer 'service' department hang up on him, and then charging his credit card for a random amount, for no reason. (My bro had just spent £1100 with them on one order!)

Suffice to say that this type of company does not deserve my custom.

I have just given an order to Jakob at pc-memory-upgrade.co.uk (it seems a sister company to the one you link to mephistopheles: http://shop4memory.com/products/rdram.asp#pc800]) for 512 MB or RAMBUS rdram pc800, at the agreed discounted price of EUR 230.00 including VAT and delivery (£164.89).

Before purchasing the RAM online, I emailed six companies, (knowing full well what I wanted and needed) in order to see which companies where prepared to get back to me with some information. Interesting to see that overclockers.co.uk didn't bother to get back to me!

I also visited http://www.romulus2.com (where there is a table of the best and worst performing online companies for PC upgrades)

The only person to email me back was Jakob, at pc-memory-upgrade.co.uk, and at about 10pm at night, with all the information that I requested. Over the next couple of days (and nights) Jakob emailed me in reply to every one of my questions, about compatibility, delivery timescales etc.

I suppose I am in the lucky position that I can value customer service higher than the very cheapest price. I never believe that the lowest price represents value for money anyway. For me, the person going the extra mile to make a difference to their customer is what's important, and to me, that's what represents value for money.

Personally, the fact that the same RAM might be costing me about £30 more (than somewhere like overclockers.co.uk) is less important than the fact that I have been treated like an actual customer, as if I had walked into a shop.

So, even though I have not yet received the RAM (expect it on Thursday at the latest), the effort that Jakob at pc-memory-upgrade.co.uk has put in means that I cannot recommned him (and them) highly enough.

I am expecting the RAM to be delivered about Thursday, and will let everyone know the outcome.

When I receive the RAM, I will be posting a full, honest and accurate recommendation for pc-upgrade.co.uk to everyone here at AVforums and at www.romulus2.com.

I would like to thank you all for your posts and help,

Matthew