Samsung R86/87/88 Owners Thread, Optimal Settings & Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
The OS of your computer has no effect on whether your pc will work or not. Its the actual resolution that your pc outputs.

You can use an HDMI 1.3 cable on a 1.2 tv (the R8) and 1.2 device, its backward compatible so that shouldnt be a problem.

Thanks Yemeth. Sounds like Samsung are fobbing me off. Any ideas how I need to tweak my resolution settings to display my PC on the R8 via HDMI? Cheers

Thanks Yemeth. Sounds like Samsung are fobbing me off. Any ideas how I need to tweak my resolution settings to display my PC on the R8 via HDMI? Cheers

Not really that savvy in pc resolution settings, but try going via the software of your graphics card. Try right clicking on the desktop and going to properties too.

Try to get it to 1360x768, if you cant do that, look up Powerstrip and see if your graphics card is compatible with it.

I have had my Xbox 360 plugged into my Samsung LE32R86 via component for some time, and a few months ago I realised I should be using VGA as it has 1:1 pixel mapping at the full screen resolution (1360x768).

Initially all worked great, but the other day I moved the TV to another room, and ever since, I'm getting weird behaviour fromthe 360/TV. The TV will not detect the signal if I have the Xbox set to 1360 x 768, and as a result I have to mess about to reset the resolution to 640x480, and then increase it from there.

Sometimes the set lets me change it back to 1360 x 768 with no problems, but at other times it won't see anything higher than 1024 x 720 (it just tells me there is no signal detected and the screen goes blank). If I do get the full resolution, as soon as I turn off the TV or Xbox 360 it loses it again.

I've seen a couple of threads on this but none of them seem to have a fix, it just seemd to fix itself? I'm considering getting a new lead, but before I do can anyone let me know if they have managed to fix this problem permanently?

Thanks

I too have this exact same problem with my screen. If anyone knows how to fix it, solve this problem i would be greatly appreciatve!

i have just bought LE19R88BDX is there meant to be a cover over the Common Interface Slot as it looks like there should be but mine is open.

Can anyone please tell me what's the correct or default setting for MJC/PDP FRC in Adjust section of Service menu? My current setting is All Off?? Please help.

can anybody any external speakers for the R88?

2.1 if possible, i have some Logitech Z-2300's but the sound doesnt sync, and when i turn the TV Vol on it echo's :confused::confused::confused:

so i need a pair (no more than about £50) just to make it sound better than the stock rubbish

Hi

To cure the echo i just hooked the headphone output(3.5mm jack) direct to a set of £20 PC world 2.1 speakers - no echo or lip sync probs and sound so much better than the inbuilt speakers

damn now im confused....

sorry for the stupid question.

but is the 37" set 1080i or 720p?

damn now im confused....

sorry for the stupid question.

but is the 37" set 1080i or 720p?

Both. 1080i is interlaced and 720p is progressive. The next resolution up is 1080p which is regarded as Full HD.

Anybody care to let me know what the current Freeview firmware is for this TV? I gave this TV to my parents today after upgrading to a Sony KDL40V4000 and i never had it plugged into the ariel (Bluray/DVD playback only), so no updates have happened to it iirc. :)

it's the software that updates over the air and the latest is T-BDXPDEU00-1014, your out of luck if you want to update as there is non scheduled, you can check out the schedule HERE

Curly

Ahh crap. It's using a really old firmware too. 1004 iirc. What will i have to do? Just wait and wait hoping that an update appears? How likely will that be? :confused:

Last edited:
your probably out of luck as there hasn't been an update for a while now, keep an eye on the site I linked to you never know when an update will be broadcast or re-broadcast also make sure the option "Standby mode upgrade" is set to on in the DTV menu, this should download any upgrades automaticly when available if the tv is in standby mode.

Curly

The other day itv1 disappeared from the epg, does anyone know why? I have seen other stations on the epg that no longer broadcast but they have got a red X next to the name. I not complaining about itv1 missing though, it was the mrs who wanted it back.

The other day itv1 disappeared from the epg, does anyone know why? I have seen other stations on the epg that no longer broadcast but they have got a red X next to the name. I not complaining about itv1 missing though, it was the mrs who wanted it back.
Have you tried a rescanning for the missing channel?

Curly

Have you tried a rescanning for the missing channel?

Curly

Curly
I forgot to say that I did do that and it came back straight away. But I don't understand why it went in the first place, this has never happened before in the 18 months that I have had the R87.

Could someone please help. Sky have installed a Sky HD box for me this morning, and I will say the quality is superb (Samsung LE37R88BD).

I have input the settings displayed on the first few pages of the thread, but occasionally (i'm currently watching History HD, a program about the Universe) and although the picture quality is amazing, it tends to 'stutter' when slowly panning with a high amount of detail on the screen. Don't get me wrong I can certainly live with it, but Is there anyway I can smooth the panning out?

Does anyone have any good settings for using a PS2 on the LE32R88BD, I tried to play "Shadow of the Colousses" yesterday and the quality was horrible.

Any tips would be helpful.

James

Does anyone have any good settings for using a PS2 on the LE32R88BD, I tried to play "Shadow of the Colousses" yesterday and the quality was horrible.

Any tips would be helpful.

James

I think you may need to play around a little, but these PS3 settings displayed on the first page of the thread may give you a head start Mode : Movie
Contrast : 80
Brightness : 48
Sharpness : 43
Colour : 43
Tint : 50/50
Colour Tone : Warm 2
Backlight : 8
Digital NR : Off
Movie Plus : On
Black Adjust : Med
Dynamic Contrast : Low
Gamma : +1
R Offset : 14
G Offset : 16
B Offset : 13
R Gain : 4
G Gain : 15
B Gain : 12
Pink : 13
Green : 13
Blue : 10
White : 12
Edge Enhancement : On
Colour Space : Auto
HDMI Black Level : Low
Game Mode: Off
Energy Saving: Off

Thanks to dazed808!

Or try Shade-X's settings:

Mode: Game Mode On
Contrast: 85
Brightness: 70
Sharpness: 50
Colour: 65
Tint: 50/50
Colour Tone: Cool1
Backlight: 10
Digital NR: Off
DNle: On
Movie Plus: Off
HDMI Black Level: Low

Every thing else should be kept on default

Or try therock500's settings:

Full RGB + Super White

Mode: Game Mode On
Contrast: 80
Brightness: 67
Sharpness: 50
Colour: 50
Tint: 50/50
Colour Tone: Cool1
Backlight: 7
Digital NR: Auto
DNle: On
Movie Plus: Off
HDMI Black Level: Low

Ahh crap. It's using a really old firmware too. 1004 iirc. What will i have to do? Just wait and wait hoping that an update appears? How likely will that be? :confused:
just another thought, try calling Samsung see if the update can be done by an engineer or failing that ask if there is another over the update due.

Curly

Hi all,

Excuse my total ignorance, but what does the setting GAME MODE actually do, as I can't see any difference at all?

I'm using an Xbox 360 via HDMI.

Cheers.

just another thought, try calling Samsung see if the update can be done by an engineer or failing that ask if there is another over the update due.

Curly

Thanks Curly. Do you by anychance have a phone number? Does it matter that the TV is out of warranty?

Thanks Curly. Do you by anychance have a phone number? Does it matter that the TV is out of warranty?
off hand I haven't got the number, try a search on the forum or try a google search, I don't what they will say about it being out of warrenty.

Curly

Hi, just a quick question.

Does any body know if the 37R87Bdx uses Anti-Glare or anti-reflective coating on the screen?

Thanks.

Hi, just a quick question.

Does any body know if the 37R87Bdx uses Anti-Glare or anti-reflective coating on the screen?

Thanks.

The screen is not reflective if thats what your asking. Normal matte lcd screen, no super clear glossy panel like the newer samsungs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom