Samsung R7 or toshiba 32wl66 I'm going nuts!

Haze

Hello

I have been pulling my hair out over this for two weeks now. I am stuck between these two sets. Just don't know which one to pick so I need some advice.

I have a Xbox 360 so HD would be part of why I'm buying the set but SD would be it would be primary used for the foreseeable future. A PS2 a Gamecube and an original xbox that I would be using on the set as well as non-upscaled dvds (at first). I am also interested un hooking up my Media Center PC to the Tv. I have no external sound system and cant afford and external upscaler.

Both sets I would be buying online, the Samy for €1,249.00 plus P'n'P (about 11 euro) the Tosh for €1,203.81 plus P'n'P (about 10 euro) but the suppler wont have any more stock until the 16th.

Given all the information can someone please give me some advice!

Thanks.

Haze

To make matters more complicated there is also the Panasonic 32LX60 for 1.229.00. I honestly need some opinions.

Prof

I have tried my XBOX on the Toshiba, and I was quite impressed with the PQ. Freeview also looked very good. I would probably buy the Toshiba today, if it wasn`t for the new 32WLT68, which should be available soon.

I have seen a few Samsung R7s, they are OK, but I think I would go for the Toshiba.

Haze

The Tosh 32WLT68 is looking like it will be a bit out of my price range (£3000) I'm keen of the 32wl66 but Toshiba's are so hard to come by in Ireland I have not been able to go into a shop and actually take a look at it (I hate ordering things blind). I've only found one Irish website who stocks them but thankfully they are very reputable and have great prices. They just don't have any in stock at the moment.

Two things you have to say of the Samy its looks good and has one heck of a wide viewing angle.

(Also your never to old for gaming!)

Haze

Here another important question can can the tosh or the Samsung display NTSC via scart(I have a lot of American DVDs)?

Haze

Ok this is a big question since gaming is such a bit part of what I use a TV for, will the Samsung (with its game mode) play ps2/gamecube game well or is it as bad as other LCDs? If the R7 can handle them then its the choice for me.

PeteD64

Did I see a huge thread somewhere about issues connecting PCs to the Tosh?

That would be put me off for using it with a Media PC.

Yannis

S

Sharpfish

I have a Tosh 32wlt66 and use it a lot with the Xbox 360. I can't complain about the PQ as it looks very nice. I don't notice any significant motion blur (apart from what is supposed to be there in game). Dvds look good (With a good player and connection) and SD (freeview, esp built in) is one of the best I have seen on an LCD.

So Tosh is what I reccomend (check my review in sig for more info - I hope to have some xbox360 shots up at some stage, only gamecube shots at the moment as far as consoles go)

The VGA thing *may* be a problem though as It doesn't do 1:1 mapping on it out of the box, I use component for the 360 anyway and I connect my laptop up via VGA fine (1024x768) and just use "wide" it's not that bad.

Haze

In all honesty I can be pretty sure that the 360 is going to play very well on both sets so your Gamecube pictures are far more helpful, thank you. I've hear so many nightmare story's about PS2 and Gamecube being all but unplayable on an LCD display, thats why I was thinking of going with the Samsung (as it has a game mode) but honestly don't know if its good for anything other than the 360. Has anyone played a PS2 or a Gamecube on an R7?

As for PC connectivity the R7 wins hands down, but thats not as important to me as overall picture quality. I'm strongly leaning toward the Tosh.

S

Sharpfish

Haze > don't quote me but I heard the game mode was just a bit of clever marketing for the 360 lover out there. I think it just turns dynamic contrast off and does something with the brightness/contrast (or something like that). Basically, it won't magically make your 360 games look better and a lot of people play it on Samsungs with the game mode *off* because they reckon it doesn't look so good.

A TV is a multi function device so that is why I went for the Tosh as it was the best all round, some compromise sure, but for SD + DVD + CONSOLES it's very nice.

Be aware if you are using RGB scart on the WLT (Tosh) there is a slight interference problem(feint lines visible only on very dark/black scenes) but I can play the Cube fine on RGB scart on a normal game screen. I have DVD connected by HDMi, Xbox360 on Component, Laptop on VGA and still have 1 scart and 1 hdmi left (using internal tuner for freeview, it's apparently a cleaner signal/image than a seperate cheap box + the WL)

Really though I don't want to talk anyone into parting with their cash on any product so go and check them out in a shop and try and hook up a console or decent DVD player to them.

good luck!

JPebmm

Standard Member
Sharpfish said:
Haze > don't quote me but I heard the game mode was just a bit of clever marketing for the 360 lover out there. I think it just turns dynamic contrast off and does something with the brightness/contrast (or something like that). Basically, it won't magically make your 360 games look better and a lot of people play it on Samsungs with the game mode *off* because they reckon it doesn't look so good.

This is true, it simply takes the "Dynamic" picture settings and changes them to match the "Standard" picture settings, if you set it to Standard in the first place you'll see switching game mode on makes no difference at all.

crazy stuff really, it couldn't be much more pointless

Haze

Thanks for the information.

Freeview is not a big thing for me because its not "officially" available in Ireland and not available at all in Dublin (We are close enough to Wales but the RTE transmitters drown out the signal). I would be buying the Silver 32wl66 without freeview. No point in spending an extra 100 on something I cant use.

Haze

To add further to this my local video rental shop is selling the Hyundai A321 for 999 euro. How does this shape up compared to the other two?

SlinkDaddy

It doesn't!!!

Get the tosh, has a better all round pic. Samsung is great on HD/DVD but no better than tosh, however tosh looks better on SKY/freeview. I must stress i have the samsung LE26R74 in the bedroom (the pic on the 360 is great, i dont use the game mode just the normal standard settings i have set for SKY+) and a plasma in living room so this opinion is not biased.

At 32" the tosh just beats the samsung, there isn't anything better at the 1k or under mark.

Haze

Still sticking with the Tosh then, just have to ask about the panny TX-32LX60 which I can get for €1,229.00, any good?

By the looks of things I will be getting the Tosh unless the panny is superior or I can find a Sony 32S2010 in my price range (which seems unlikely)

SlinkDaddy

I'd get the Tosh over both pana and S series sony. They are all good sets but the Tosh is a better pic on on SD than the sony and better on HD than the pana. Its the best all round option IMO.

Haze

Thanks for that advice. As I said before Toshiba's are very hard to get in Ireland and the website I would be buying from just keeps knocking the date of its restock back (Was the 14th then the 16 now the 17th) so at least I know if I can't get the Tosh the Panny is the way to go.

Haze

The in stock arrival date for the Tosh has been knocked back again. Its becoming increasingly likely I might not be able to get one.

I went up to my local shop and looked at the R7 and the Panasonic and for what ever reason on an identical terrible analogue picture the R7 was out performing the Panasonic, better colour better contrast. Don't know what to make of that especially considering the the Sony KDL-32V2000 had the worst picture in store for some reason, very dark and muggy.

Honestly I am so terrified of buying a duffer I might end up buying nothing!

Prof

mhsslinky said:
I'd get the Tosh over both pana and S series sony. They are all good sets but the Tosh is a better pic on on SD than the sony and better on HD than the pana. Its the best all round option IMO.

You try telling that to Sony/Panasonic owners! I have seen loads of Panasonic & Sony LCDs, none of them made me take a second look. I`ve only seen 1 Toshiba 32WLT66 in a customers home, and what I saw made me want one ! Very good picture on in-built freeview, especially for a HD ready TV. I liked the styling too. Very good value for money, also. The only things that are stopping me from buying the Toshiba are 1) The new "68" series is out soon (new backlight technology) and 2) I`ve read numerous reports about lines on the AV1 RGB input.

spawndk

I have absolutely no lines on my Tosh 32WL66Z through RGB Scart (got my Sony 910 HDD recorder connected here)

Get the Tosh - its a marvelous set for the money. Great allround useability and fantastic PQ on all material.

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

iFi Audio launches NEO Stream music streamer with DAC
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Musical Fidelity launches M6x 250.7 multi-channel power amplifier
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Is Google set to rival Dolby Vision and Atmos?
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
'Tizen TV by Samsung' brands coming to UK?
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Denon announces five new 8K AV receivers
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom