Samsung R7 - Faint black lines down screen at regular intervals

Discussion in 'Samsung TVs Forum' started by tommyboyo, Apr 23, 2007.

Tags:
  1. tommyboyo

tommyboyo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys, I just bought a 32" R72BD and am mostly very happy with it (it has the nicer A panel), however I've noticed that on big blocks of bright colours, whites, sky blues etc, I can see faint black lines running down the screen - about 5 of them at regular horizontal intervals. They aren't sharp or associated with certain pixels, but seem like the screen is just less bright in the affected areas. It is unnoticable usually, but when you get a block of something light, they are visible.

Is this just a normal by-product of the panel construction? e.g. is it maybe made of 5 pieces stuck together which causes issues with the backlight? or is this something I should be more concerned about?

As a secondary issue, how do you actually switch this TV off? Pressing the button on the front seems to have the exact same effect as pressing standby on the remote, it can still be woken up by changing channel etc, the only way I've found to turn it off completely is at the plug :/ is this normal?

2. RottenFox

RottenFox
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,289
    sounds very much like you have banding...a flawed panel.
    noone really knows or admits what it is..but i wouldnt be happy with it,and i would return it.

3. tommyboyo

tommyboyo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ah...well, it's hardly noticable, and I got the last tv in stock plus no other stores are willing to open boxes to make sure I can avoid the CMO panel

I did purchase 5 years cover for the TV though, so what I think I'll do is wait until I want an upgrade in a couple of years time, then I'll report the fault and get a new TV :) (I can't see it being an economical thing to repair)

4. RottenFox

RottenFox
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,289
    its not repairable,all they do is replace it.
    i would return it though,as all it will do is annoy you.
    even get them to deliver the new one,and take the old one away at the same time.

5. tommyboyo

tommyboyo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The thing is that I've had so much trouble getting one of these TVs that doesn't have the old/inferior CMO panel, and none of the shops I've been to are willing to open up boxes for me to check before I buy (they just look at me blankly, whilst swearing blind that all their TVs are the same). I'd be stuck if I got them to take it back as it was their last one - they don't have any more stock and aren't getting any.

The banding is hardly noticeable, it seems to come and go, so sometimes I can't see it at all, and from a sensible viewing distance I can't see it regardless. As you say they won't repair it, so it basically means that a couple of years down the line I can simply report it and get a free replacement TV (which by then will be a lot better for the money than the set I have now). Win-win right?