Samsung R6 360 Wireless Speaker Review

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Steve Withers, Jun 18, 2015.

1. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,042
    2. jouster

jouster

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +7,111
      Currently at the 360 wireless audio launch in London's West End and it all sounds very promising so far

3. CrossyX

CrossyX

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +210
      I know all this is very subjective, but some of the scores of late are surprising.

I was in Manchester at the Samsung conference a few weeks back and I heard this a few times in different environments and i thought it sounded terrible for the money.

I always take it to account what is around at the price point and within this are Denon`s Heos and the Sonos. I know this has slightly different features with its omni-directional sound and blueooth connectivity as the others do not do this, but the actual sound from the R6 was harsh and had no bottom end imo and most of the people in the room agreed, so much so when Samsung were doing a demo and had us all walking around the room one of there reps asked could anyone here the difference from one side of the room to another and someone piped up its just as sh*t over here.

I am going to have another listen this week as surely opinions on sound cannot be this far apart?

4. jouster

jouster

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +7,111
      They did sound good tonight, the R7 in particular. But in truth it didn't help that the people doing the demos had seen the speakers for the first time today and didn't really know what they were doing. I think that's the case with a lot of PR people. They really need to get people in there that love the the brand and tech and want to know how it works. Rather than to just earn £9 an hour to point at a screen on their phones and wondering when their night is finally over.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    5. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,042
      When it comes to audio reviewing it is subjective to a degree but there are other considerations as well, such as the environment and the competency of the person conducting the demonstration. In the case of the R6 and R7, it's also a brand new product, so Samsung are still fine-tuning it before launch. Personally I thought that the R6 sounded great and the omnidirectional aspect of the sound worked really well. I certainly didn't find it harsh but, as I mention in the review, it was lacking a bit at the low end. Although given its size and portable nature, I'm not sure there is much Samsung can do about that.

I mention both Sonos and HEOS in my conclusion as possible alternatives. Personally I've never thought Sonos sounded particularly good but I do like the HEOS range. The new HEOS 1 with the GO pack is portable, can be used as a stereo pair and includes Bluetooth; it's also over £100 cheaper but obviously isn't omnidirectional. I think for those that want room-filling sound in multiple locations, the R6 is ideal but I do agree the price is a bit toppy. Samsung seem to be launching products this year at higher prices than expected, although I've noticed they subsequently drop quite quickly.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    6. CrossyX

CrossyX

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +210
      Okay so I have had another listen today in a better environment and to my ears it still sounds very poor everywhere, lows, highs and mids, more so considering its price point. Even if it was a £100 less I still would struggle to see the value here apart from some its features.

Build was better than I remembered but again still not as good as its competition.

I am no connoisseur but this is the second Samsung product I have seen a review on here in the last few weeks that has been given 9/10 score and thought they both were very poor products, the other being the HWJ-7500 soundbar.

As I said I personally always take in to account what is around at similar price points and I just think there is much better to be had, so the scores of 8 and 9`s are on the high side.

Lastly the R6 has been available since the middle of May so its already released.

Sorry if this comes across as argumentative it is not meant in that way at all just wanted to air my opinion.

Cheers

7. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,042
      It doesn't come across as argumentative, you're perfectly entitled to your opinion CrossyX. Just one thing, the HW-J7500 was given a score of 8/10. Also are you sure the R6 has been available since May, John Lewis only listed it on their website this week and the press launch that Samsung held for both the R6 and R7 was last night.

8. jouster

jouster

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +7,111
      I've got a R7 on loan coming my way shortly for a review so very much looking forward to seeing how that sounds in my home.

9. CrossyX

CrossyX

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +210

Around the 24-25th may, so towards the back end as opposed to the middle as I originally stated.

10. witchdrash

witchdrash

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +171
      I find samsungs styling of their speakers baffling, the previous set just look plain and cheap, and this looks like it was designed on a drunken night out. Saw it sat next to sonos, Bose and denon heos speakers yesterday it just looks ridiculous.

11. jouster

jouster

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +7,111
      I actually quite liked the design but it's definitely a love or hate

12. witchdrash

witchdrash

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +171
      True, it just doesn't work for me, I like nearly everyone of its alternatives more on aesthetics. Can't speak for its performance though.

13. francorg

francorg
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +0
      Does this kind of omnidirectional speakers needs to stay in the center of the room?
      Or could it be used also on a side near to a wall?

Thank you,
      Roberto

14. jouster

jouster

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +7,111
      It can go anywhere but for optimal sound the centre is the preferred mounting spot.

Not exactly the simplest place to power from though

15. LasseChristoff

LasseChristoff
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +0
      Can anybody help me, if it is possible to connect this speaker to a Phillps TV, or do I need a Samsung TV?

16. jouster

jouster

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +7,111
      It's samsung only I believe

17. LasseChristoff

LasseChristoff
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +0
      Cheers! I haven't been able to find a full setup to a tv from another brand yet, so that's what I thought aswell!