1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Samsung R5087W NTSC-> PAL

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by loucas, May 16, 2005.

1. loucas

loucas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am thinking of buying the Samsung R5087W (marketed as SP50L7HX in Europe) from the US because of cost. The specs on the US model specify that it has an NTSC tuner and I was wandering if you can get it to work with PAL. Also if you know of any other issues that I might have please give me some feedback.

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,908
    Unlikely. Most US TVs won't handle 625 lines, 50hz at all (even via an external input).

But, if you know or can ascertain otherwise, you could simply use a VCR as an external tuner to watch analog TV or get a $ky or Freeview box as a source.

Don't forget to add on about 25% import duty and VAT to the total cost of the goods including shipping. Plus the costs of getting it modified (if indeed it's required and feasible). Plus the costs or logistics of getting any repairs done on it. Or sending it back if it doesn't do what you want it to.

3. AVC

AVC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It might not be as good value as you might think, since the TV is designed for NTSC signal it wont handle the PAL signal, you can use external system converter, plenty are available but I didn't like the quality.

If the unit can handle PAL and NTSC through its other inputs ( not very likely as far as know) as suggested above you can use VCR as tuner.

I do believe its better to buy TV from local models this way you wont have any problems with systems and can get the best quality from the TV itself.

4. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,498
    I wouldnt bother getting a display that could only handle one format (either 50 or 60Hz). It limits you considerably. I too have thsi same issue and its far from ideal. You will end up spending money to convert the signal properly one format to the other. To do this well your are looking at spending £800-£1200 for a scaler or a HTPC.

Stick the machines that can display both 50 & 60 Hz properly.

:)