Samsung R122 Playback issue

R

richspence

Hello all, I have recently bought a Samsung R122 DVD Recorder and a Samsung LE32R41BD TV.

I was watching a DVD last night and it was working fine for 1 hour 20 mins. Then the picture started breaking up and finally stopped altogether. I tried reselecting the chapter but the same problem occured around the same time in the film.

Also I tried removing and cleaning the disc, but the problem still occured. I tried skipping on to the next chapter but it was like the DVD was frozen. Eventually I started from a chapter about 25 minutes later in the film and it seemed to settle down although the picture wasnt free of break up until about 10 minutes further on.

I'd like to know if this sounds like a problem with the DVD player. I have played this disc on other DVD players and it has been fine. I have also played another DVD on this player and it was totally fine.

Any ideas? Thanks

Rich

R

richspence

It was a commercial DVD, actually The Matrix.

The DVD manual does mention something about lower quality DVDs might not work correctly, but this was shop bought and I would expect it to work properly. As I said, I've seen it play properly in other DVD players.

Could it be something to do with the layer change? As and hour and a half is normally somewhere near the layer change.

Cheers
Rich

lurcher

Yes you would expect it to play fine wouldn"t you. Cant help much I"m afraid, apart from eliminating things which you seem to have done such as playing it on another machine.
Take it your Samsung was bought new ?
Only ever noticed a light pause on layer change.

R

richspence

Yeah i just got it, got as a deal with the TV. I'll try more discs in it and see if it it happens again.

Thanks for trying to help :)

R

richspence

The plot thickens...

Went home last night and put on another DVD - (happened to be Matrix Reloaded), and exactly the same thing happened. The picture breaks up and finally stops around the 1hour 30mins mark.

This sounds like a mechanical problem with the bit that moves the lens head to me?

Although I did try 2 other DVDs and it didnt happen on them.

Weird.

R

richspence

Just to update people on this...

I took the DVD Recorder back and John Lewis replaced it with the same model. However when I tried the new one it did the same thing, in a slightly different place on the disc. This one actually stopped the disc from playing too. When I went back in to the chapter selection and picked the lobby shootout scene it just stopped the disc.

Weird. Maybe its a bad batch, but I dont see how a DVD that will play fine on a PS2 wont play on something thats sole purpose is to play DVDs.

Anyway I took it back again and got a refund.

Now I'm wondering if all Samsungs have the same problem?

R

richspence

No idea, need to do some research. Kind of put me off Samsungs, although my TV is fine.

Any suggestions?

lurcher

Know what you mean I have the 26" version of your TV and its very good, I got the R125 DVD Recorder to go with it and was pleased it matched ( black), however the well documented RGB in (or lack of) prompted me to get rid straight away.
I have been considering the hard drive model the 725 and reading the thread close to this one. At the moment my TV is partnered with the Samsung 950 player and again this matches the colour and lines of the TV.
I am slowly upgraging in the other room and going down the black route , so looking for a HDD Recorder in black.

I may even go back to a Samsung R125 if the RGB issue is resolved on new machines.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom