Samsung QN95B (QE65QN95B) 4K Neo QLED TV Review & Comments

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
Great review as always Phil, but not the glowing endorsement that I was hoping for sadly.

Great review and clear sign that high end LCD models are coming to an end.In the end who will pay more for this in compare to S95B if going for 55 or 65inch.
Next year all Samsung focus will be....qdoled

Unless Samsung and others meaningfully invest in adding a magnitude more of LED's, we can just keep singing "Let's go round again" every year, we're getting similar zone counts from 5 YEARS AGO! I find it staggering frankly.

When you stack the price and other features (especially no DV) against other OLED products it's obvious the death knell is now sounding for the high end LCD now the OLED market is so competitive.

I think at some point Samsung need to address their "hill to die on" around DV, especially if their focus is now QDOLED.

Last edited:
I've found the entire stable of 2022 flagships was an excellent justification for buying a 2021 model with the "last year's junk" discount

• Very expensive
  • Blooming
  • Local dimming dims peak highlights and APL
  • Black crush
  • Dirty screen effect
  • No Dolby Vision
  • Video processing adding too much sharpening
  • Build quality average for the price point
So it fails on almost everything ( ok maybe slight exaggeration, but… ) that’s important about a TV and it still gets 7?

Looks like a 4 at most to me and one to be avoided.

£3600 for that image quality, reviews given that score are usually reserved for the under £1000 bracket and many of them received higher marks.

Samsung should hang their heads in shame

Cheers Phil great review but I can't get my head around the price compared to there QD Oled Richer Sounds just sent me a email today saying VIP members can get the Samsung 65in QD Oled and a free Samsung sound bar worth £549 for £2599 that's a £1000 saving and a soundbar thrown in

• Very expensive
  • Blooming
  • Local dimming dims peak highlights and APL
  • Black crush
  • Dirty screen effect
  • No Dolby Vision
  • Video processing adding too much sharpening
  • Build quality average for the price point
So it fails on almost everything ( ok maybe slight exaggeration, but… ) that’s important about a TV and it still gets 7?

Looks like a 4 at most to me and one to be avoided.

£3600 for that image quality, reviews given that score are usually reserved for the under £1000 bracket and many of them received higher marks.

Samsung should hang their heads in shame
While I do agree that the laundry list of issues is fairly comprehensive you also need to consider the things that it really gets right. For someone with a bright room and doesn't watch movies critically it's a good option (price aside), plenty bright, sound is decent, good for gaming and then there's the one connect box. Most of the issues this has is inherent in the technology and it seems to me that Samsung are better at managing the limitations than most, if this set got a 4 I doubt you would see an LCD TV get much more than a 5.

On another note, if this TV got a 5 for Build Quality I'm keen to see what the S95B ends up getting with the bendy screen that has.

That TV is some 2.5k here so this seems waaaaay overpriced. Considering the review, it is worth 1/3 of that.

Some strong views on here. I would think this is a fantastic TV to live with in the real world. I doubt most people would notice the blooming, even in a dark room, with the exception of subtitles or blocks of text during movie titles.

Just because the review states issues can be identified it doesn't mean they are present all the time. Yes the price is high, but I imagine, as with all the other models, prices will be discounted and deals available.
I’ve the previous model and I’ve recently watched Blade Runner and Heat in a dark room and haven’t been distracted by blooming in either.

DSE is more worrying, although the review did say it was mild.

How I wonder how it stacks against its main rival, the Sony X95K.
These two TVs are the high end of 4K Mini-LED TVs currently.

I own the TV and must say I have barely noticed any blooming at all so far on what I've watched which given how bright it can get is a positive for me, it is great for my bright living room and my panel is very clean with no DSE so maybe not indicative of the range as a whole. I don't have a critical eye so I'm not arguing the review in any way, just stating I'm a happy owner so far.

Great review and clear sign that high end LCD models are coming to an end.In the end who will pay more for this in compare to S95B if going for 55 or 65inch.
Next year all Samsung focus will be....qdoled
QD oled is really dimming down the brightness in time.. I learned this from several reviews on youtube, etc. So for bright full field sdr and hdr.. lcd is Top-notch.. still,..

Why do I get the feeling that AVForums are anti Samsung?

LG & Sony always seem to looked upon more favourably in reviews. Is this because they are willing to do face to face chats & demos when new products are released?

I’ve had 2 Sony TV’s recently- one of which, the A1 is probably the worst TV I’ve ever bought unfortunately!

LG & Sony always seem to looked upon more favourably in reviews. Is this because they are willing to do face to face chats & demos when new products are released?

I’ve had 2 Sony TV’s recently- one of which, the A1 is probably the worst TV I’ve ever bought unfortunately!
The S95B got 9/10, despite its terrible build quality. I wouldn't say AV Forums are anti Samsung, I would say that AV Forums see's more promise in OLED and QD-OLED than LCD.

Does the earc pass dts formats and multichannel LPCM?
If not I think it should be further marked down.
What are the chances of testing earc in future reviews. Quite a lot of heated conversation on the Q90R owners forum about this topic…
manufacturers are getting away with ham fisted attempts at implementing technologies to the detriment of their customers.
If they have a logo in the box then the manufacturer should be held to account on it.

I am brand agnostic and test every TV the same way. I try to be fair, unbiased and honest with my appraisals in the hope that if there are issues, manufacturers value the feedback and implement changes to make the products better. They have done this in the past and I am sure the feedback from the reviews will be acted on if they feel they can make improvements.

Samsung are so poor compared to the competitors but they tick boxes for many people, especially ones that don't care about blooming, dse, smearing and blue blacks. I still wouldn't buy an oled of theirs for many reasons, but poor build, poor software support and a terrible OS coupled with the lack of DV would do it.
Cue the laughing emoji from the cuke2 guy who seems to work for Samsung.

And there's no way that review reads as a 7
Sorry, but it just doesn't.

If 2022 "flagship" (I hate that word) TVs are still showing significant DSE then it should almost be a rule that the review score is a 1. There's really no excuse for it anymore. Maybe this will get them to do proper QC checks instead of just playing the percentage game with customers and a forecasted return percentage. They need to be seriously called out on this. The money they are asking for this TV for the level of quality is outrageous.

Well the review says "mild DSE" not significant, there is quite a difference between the two.

Well I never seen a 7/10 score coming for this one tbh. I think it's clear that high-end LCD's are reaching an end point - OLED burn-in is not really an issue and both Sony and Samsung trying to ask crazy money is not going to wash any more.

Also a bit worrying that Samsung can release such flimsy flagship TVs - if you are going to charge a premium at least get the basics in build quality right or it just comes across as a failure straight out the box. I have read that the anti-reflection/wide angle filter makes this perform more like an IPS panel which kind of defeats the purpose on Mini-LED.

It will be interesting to see how TCL stack up against this and the Sony - I am willing to bet there won't be that much in it and almost half the price.

Great Review,
I think it's picture is excellent but sound is apalling. Even at low volume the internal chasis and/or the flimsy back panel is resonating, vibrating and buzzing destroying the viewing experience. Dosn't have to be a hi fidelity streamed signal just a terestrial broadcast will do it in a certain tonal range.. Waste of time including Dolby Atmos! Now on my second Tv in a week. No different to the first. Dont think a third will be any better so will ask for refund from retailer. Not willing to spend more money on a soundbar to get rid of the issue or go to 65 inch which may not have the same problem as I havent seen any sound problems in published reviews. Expected much better Samsung.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom