Samsung QN95B Neo QLED Owners and Discussion Thread

kanedaa

PS5 HDR sliders, I've read a few comments claiming tone mapping is slightly off on Samsung TVs so they recommend setting the sliders around 17 to 19 but if I do that the sun remained very visible.. am I not loosing peak brightness doing that? It took me 24 to make the sun pretty much invisible so any advice on that would be appreciated.

Secondly I like the solar remote but there seemingly isn't a button to get to the picture settings which is making it a nightmare to play with all the settings so am I missing something? I can use the clunkier remote but I'd prefer to stick to the solar 1.

Loving the TV so far the blooming is minimal, HDR is "chefs kiss" just need to learn the settings as it is my first Samsung TV in many a year.

Samsung seem to have forced dynamic tone mapping with HDR which makes the HDR calibration tools on PS5 and Xbox not work very well. The general wisdom is to set the sliders / number of clicks up/down to whatever the peak brightness of your specific TV is. I think each click up/down corresponds to 100 nits. I need to re-do mine at some point but I've not used my PS5 in a while. HDTVTest has a good video on how the HDR calibration tools on each console works.

Solar remote - press the button with the cog/123/colours on it. Then push up/down to find different options. One of the rows has quick access to various settings.

kanedaa

Last of my posts for now...

My solar remote never seems to charge via light as it's meant to. No matter how long I leave it in a brightly lit room (yes, with the charging side face up!!) the battery percentage never goes up. Anyone had any luck with this? I've seen a few reports on Samsung community forums of people saying the same thing with the 2022 models.

phillyd1

Samsung seem to have forced dynamic tone mapping with HDR which makes the HDR calibration tools on PS5 and Xbox not work very well. The general wisdom is to set the sliders / number of clicks up/down to whatever the peak brightness of your specific TV is. I think each click up/down corresponds to 100 nits. I need to re-do mine at some point but I've not used my PS5 in a while. HDTVTest has a good video on how the HDR calibration tools on each console works.

Solar remote - press the button with the cog/123/colours on it. Then push up/down to find different options. One of the rows has quick access to various settings.
Thank you so much for this reply especially the solar remote tip! that works a treat as I'd put it away in favour of the other remote until now. Not sure of what the peak brightness is for this TV in game mode so maybe a setting of 20 clicks would be better for me as I'm approaching nearly 30 to make the sun disappear and that clearly isn't right.

Last edited:

Yoggo

I tried Gaming Hub with Xbox yesterday and it worked great, Halo Infinite loaded quickly, ran smoothly and looked pretty decent - I didn't notice if there was any HDR - might try Forza Horizon.

Need to try changing my bass settings to see if the 'Audio IC change' has made that any better - I've noticed it worse on Atmos programming. A good test is the open titles of The Adam Project on Netflix...

Evil Proaxe

Novice Member
Hello i am having random drop out with my 65 qn95a and was going to contact samsung about this. Can you please tell me how you first made contact with them? Was it through the warranty claim page on their websiteI

I called them up. They wanted to go through some faff of resetting everything but it obviously didn’t solve anything. Once they had done it they brought the call to an end, I then just called them straight back and told them that it had happened again and then they arranged an engineer visit and after a month of them not being able to fix it, they reported back to Samsung and then I got a phone call offering me either a refund or replacement. Had to chase the engineers up after they weren’t able to fix it but Samsung fairly good and dealt with things in what I would consider a timely fashion.

As you’ve got a 65inch set, they may try to replace it with the same model as they are still in stock. But judging by the fact that they have already ran out of 85 inch models, I’d imagine that they didn’t produce as many QN95A’s as normal as they knew that they’d just be making a broken product, so the sooner they could start getting QN95B’s out the door, the better. It’ll probably be a month after the engineers first comes out before they report back to Samsung so there’s a chance that they won’t be able to offer you a QN95A, but I wouldn’t put money on it.

Yoggo

I tried Gaming Hub with Xbox yesterday and it worked great, Halo Infinite loaded quickly, ran smoothly and looked pretty decent - I didn't notice if there was any HDR - might try Forza Horizon.

Need to try changing my bass settings to see if the 'Audio IC change' has made that any better - I've noticed it worse on Atmos programming. A good test is the open titles of The Adam Project on Netflix...
Update on the 'Audio IC change'. It looks like Samsung have fixed the bass distortion - by nearly removing all low frequency output! So no more distortion but weak bass as a result. At least prior to this there was some control using the equaliser.

kanedaa

Update on the 'Audio IC change'. It looks like Samsung have fixed the bass distortion - by nearly removing all low frequency output! So no more distortion but weak bass as a result. At least prior to this there was some control using the equaliser.
Yeah this is what I'm finding. The audio feels very flat as a result.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom