Samsung QN95A (QE65QN95A) Neo QLED Mini LED TV Review & Comments

I recently picked up a 65” QN94A (Same as QN95 less one connect box and a single HDMI 2.1 port) when price glitch occurred through EPP store, so paid around £850.

I was and still am incredibly impressed. Previously had a 55” LG B7 which I moved upto our bedroom (then replaced that with 55” G1 and moved B7 to kids room).

For me personally, I much prefer the pop you get out of HDR with higher brightness vs the B7 and G1, even wife notices it. The black levels are incredibly impressive and it’s had no DSE (but as with all panels, it’s a lottery).

I still love my OLEDs and probably keep them in bedrooms going forward (for overly dark moody films) but the punch you get from that high brightness on the Samsung really adds something for films that I never get and have always missed since moving many years ago from a KS7000 to a B7.

If anything im just annoyed that I didn’t go for 75” one during price glitch :)

@Amorris It's very interesting to hear your views on the LCD Samsung, since you are an OLED owner.

I’m still umming and ahhhing. John Lewis price matched PRC Direct at £1899.

Couple of things irking me. The slim mount is £150 and I would probably need a longer “near-invisible” one connect cable for another £150ish (if I can find one in stock). So another £300 on top.

The 65G1 is £2k and comes with flush mount, however I’d also have to start bashing holes in my chimney breast in order to get it flush :suicide:

I recently picked up a 65” QN94A (Same as QN95 less one connect box and a single HDMI 2.1 port) when price glitch occurred through EPP store, so paid around £850.

I was and still am incredibly impressed. Previously had a 55” LG B7 which I moved upto our bedroom (then replaced that with 55” G1 and moved B7 to kids room).

For me personally, I much prefer the pop you get out of HDR with higher brightness vs the B7 and G1, even wife notices it. The black levels are incredibly impressive and it’s had no DSE (but as with all panels, it’s a lottery).

I still love my OLEDs and probably keep them in bedrooms going forward (for overly dark moody films) but the punch you get from that high brightness on the Samsung really adds something for films that I never get and have always missed since moving many years ago from a KS7000 to a B7.

If anything im just annoyed that I didn’t go for 75” one during price glitch :)
Can you watch these at an angle? I don’t always sit dead centre when watching tv and often sit off to the side. Does the picture change when watching at an angle?

@Amorris It's very interesting to hear your views on the LCD Samsung, since you are an OLED owner.

Yeah it surprised me also. I’ve been pretty adamant on OLED since I got the B7 but looking at MiniLED, increased zones and performance etc made me take a look.

Personally I really appreciate the brighter screen in our lounge… Question is… if I didn’t have the B7 and G1 upstairs, would I still go for the QN94 in lounge over an OLED… Probably yes, with kids and daytime viewing it’s much improved.

I have just taken delivery of a brand new replacement one of these from Samsung which I have listed in the classifieds if anybody is interested in a saving vs the SRP.

I have a brand new one of these but the 55in version (QE55QN95AATXXU) en-route from Samsung UK as a replacement for a failed 2020 model (QE55Q95TATXXU) it will not be opened and will have a Samsung 5 year warranty included. I intend to sell here on the classifieds as I have already bought a replacement and no longer have a use for it. I will of course create a dedicated classifieds listing once it arrives (due next week hopefully) but what is it worth?
Still got this?

Gamers beware, this TV has a nasty bug with consoles HDR gaming. It has washed out colors when local dimming is set to standard or high when there is a dark background or dark scene in the game.

Attaching a few examples:

The first is the COD weapon selection screen. Compared to a normal TV, QN95 (or QN90 US) shows pale blue or pale brown instead of glowing green or red.

------------------------------

The other one is Forza Horizon 5 menu screen, to reproduce this follow these steps
  • Go to the street race Canon Run - north of the map. Go into the event, pick the car etc.
  • At the start screen, instead of "Start Race Event", go to "Difficulty & Settings"
  • On that screen as attached, check how the A-B-X look like here, they are dimmer and off color. When on high local dimming, opening the TV settings screen fixes the colors and you see the difference immediately.
Setting local dimming to low is a workaround but you will get washed out image and grayish blacks.

Attachments

• COD_qn90 - Copy.jpg
    COD_qn90 - Copy.jpg
    335.7 KB · Views: 375
  • forza_qn90 - Copy.jpg
    forza_qn90 - Copy.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 355
Gamers beware, this TV has a nasty bug with consoles HDR gaming. It has washed out colors when local dimming is set to standard or high when there is a dark background or dark scene in the game.

Attaching a few examples:

The first is the COD weapon selection screen. Compared to a normal TV, QN95 (or QN90 US) shows pale blue or pale brown instead of glowing green or red.

------------------------------

The other one is Forza Horizon 5 menu screen, to reproduce this follow these steps
  • Go to the street race Canon Run - north of the map. Go into the event, pick the car etc.
  • At the start screen, instead of "Start Race Event", go to "Difficulty & Settings"
  • On that screen as attached, check how the A-B-X look like here, they are dimmer and off color. When on high local dimming, opening the TV settings screen fixes the colors and you see the difference immediately.
Setting local dimming to low is a workaround but you will get washed out image and grayish blacks.
Is this happening to everyone who owns a qn90 series tv? This happened from the start or after a update?

I am asking because right now i play vanguard on a series x that is connected to a 75q95T but this tv is about to be replaced due to backlight inconsistencies and a couple of that pixels and i will likely be receiving a qn93a or qn95a as a replacement.

Is this happening to everyone who owns a qn90 series tv? This happened from the start or after a update?

I am asking because right now i play vanguard on a series x that is connected to a 75q95T but this tv is about to be replaced due to backlight inconsistencies and a couple of that pixels and i will likely be receiving a qn93a or qn95a as a replacement.

Yes it happens on all VA panels, both for EU and NA models. Not sure about ADS panels but would be surprised if it was different since Samsung uses the same firmware and it is a local dimming issue. I purchased the TV in late October and returned it after 3 months of trying to fix this, so I don't know about the earlier firmware myself. Other users report that very early firmware had blooming issues and Samsung pushed a firmware sometime last summer to address that and introduced the washed out colors bug.

Several people -me included- reported these to Samsung and for most us, the response was "there is nothing wrong with the TV, use low local dimming if it bothers you". So, I gave up hope for a fix and returned the TV before my return window closed. Some people will say that this is a minor issue and it is not even noticeable, or they won't see it but it was extremely distracting for me. I would notice HUD elements changing colors right in the middle of the game while going between dark/bright background.

If backlight inconsistencies that you refer to are due to aggressive dimming and undefeatable tone mapping of Samsungs, you won't get any magic with QN9X series. They have the same software, only with mini leds.

Yes it happens on all VA panels, both for EU and NA models. Not sure about ADS panels but would be surprised if it was different since Samsung uses the same firmware and it is a local dimming issue. I purchased the TV in late October and returned it after 3 months of trying to fix this, so I don't know about the earlier firmware myself. Other users report that very early firmware had blooming issues and Samsung pushed a firmware sometime last summer to address that and introduced the washed out colors bug.

Several people -me included- reported these to Samsung and for most us, the response was "there is nothing wrong with the TV, use low local dimming if it bothers you". So, I gave up hope for a fix and returned the TV before my return window closed. Some people will say that this is a minor issue and it is not even noticeable, or they won't see it but it was extremely distracting for me. I would notice HUD elements changing colors right in the middle of the game while going between dark/bright background.

If backlight inconsistencies that you refer to are due to aggressive dimming and undefeatable tone mapping of Samsungs, you won't get any magic with QN9X series. They have the same software, only with mini leds.
The 95T has a bit of a agressive local dimming wich is often very noticeable between a very dark and bright scene but despite this being a bit bothersome this is not the reason why i asked for warranty service. My q95t came with dirt between the panel and the anti reflective coating, a crack on the left top corner of the metal frame and the backlight starts to flicker with no reason at times. You can tell that something is wrong when i put local dimming on custom, it becomes a flickering canon. Weird stuff that was all recognized as not normal by the samsung technician.
But now i will have to try my luck with one qn93a or qn95a that is coming as a replacement. They gave me the choice of a refund but to be honest i paid 1200 for my 75Q95T and therefore this is the best deal possible. I cant even get a half decent 65" for 1200 euros (this is 55" price bracket for top of the line tvs) so a brand new 75qn93/95a will be the way to go for now at least.

Since i never play or watch tv in the dark i would not mind not updating for now because Blooming is not noticeable on my normal viewing conditions. For now my biggest scare is to get a good panel. Not only because of dse but also due to panel variations since in store many qn95s seem to have more oled saturated colours than others and i would hate to get a panel with washed out colours. Lets see what happens....

I'm so confused with the QN95A reviews. They're all brilliant but users keep flagging issues with game mode problems and picture drop out.
I'm still tempted as my LG B6 has horrendous burn in and I don't believe this is an issue fully resolved despite people claiming that "it's not an issue on newer OLED panels".
The offers on the QN95A are really good at the moment, plus cashback, I expect due to the imminent 2022 releases.

Толкова съм объркан с ревютата на QN95A. Всички те са брилянтни, но потребителите продължават да отбелязват проблеми с проблеми в режима на игра и отпадане на картината.
Все още се изкушавам, тъй като моят LG B6 има ужасно изгаряне и не вярвам, че проблемът е напълно разрешен, въпреки че хората твърдят, че „това не е проблем при по-новите OLED панели“.
Офертите за QN95A са наистина добри в момента, плюс кешбек, очаквам поради предстоящите издания през 2022 г.
In addition to the QN95A issues you mentioned, I would add dead pixels. I returned two pieces because of dead pixels. As for LG's OLEDs, they continue to record and print static objects. Sony's OLEDs are much more stable, but only high-end. The consultant said that in the last year they have not had a single burnt Sony, but LG come regularly to the service with this problem.

Last edited:
QN95A
Found the following anybody elsehad problems?
View attachment 1664815
I've just set mine up with Sky Q , Apple TV and Freeview BOX.
What I found on initial setup is it ignores outputs that are not connected properly, I had an issue with my Ariel connection so it ignored Freeview.

But once I corrected the issue and run the setup again all was fine, seems you can also make a wrong selection on setup which may affect this, seems to trip people up.

Lots of chat on the link below, but my current view is its a setup issue.

Last edited:
In addition to the QN95A issues you mentioned, I would add dead pixels. I returned two pieces because of dead pixels. As for LG's OLEDs, they continue to record and print static objects. Sony's OLEDs are much more stable, but only high-end. The consultant said that in the last year they have not had a single burnt Sony, but LG come regularly to the service with this problem.
Do you know that they all used LG panels right? LG has some safety options. Sony is much more aggressive in ASBL. Both are more or less similar in this case

Do you know that they all used LG panels right? LG has some safety options. Sony is much more aggressive in ASBL. Both are more or less similar in this case
And did you know that Sony's high-end TVs use a heat-dissipating radiator, which significantly reduces the likelihood of burns? Did you know that Sony has much better picture processing, thanks to their processor?

And did you know that Sony's high-end TVs use a heat-dissipating radiator, which significantly reduces the likelihood of burns? Did you know that Sony has much better picture processing, thanks to their processor?
picture processing...hmm it doesn't prevent your panel from burn-in. Heatsink. It gives you higher brightness. Nothing more. If you don't use your OLED at highest brightness all the time it is still cold so still it is not your are looking for. It is completely different story. Sony is less popular. That's it.

picture processing...hmm it doesn't prevent your panel from burn-in. Heatsink. It gives you higher brightness. Nothing more. If you don't use your OLED at highest brightness all the time it is still cold so still it is not your are looking for. It is completely different story. Sony is less popular. That's it.
Picture processing is the most important thing. With less energy and less heating, you get better results with less risk of burns. This is a scheme that LG is aiming for this year. Adding to the above and the radiator, the difference becomes drastic!

Picture processing is the most important thing. With less energy and less heating, you get better results with less risk of burns. This is a scheme that LG is aiming for this year. Adding to the above and the radiator, the difference becomes drastic!
Radiator gives you higher brightness with less heat.
Most important thing has been done last year in Evo panel where LG used Deuterium.
Evo panels were also installed in C1 (not every unit). Everything matters but Evo panel as a hardware was biggest step forward.
Brightness is something related to soft and heatsink just because LG doesn't want to leave behind QD-OLEDs

Is this a normal feature when light hits the screen on this TV?
IMG_20220630_184749.jpg

Agree! I have the new 16” Mac Book Pro and the screen is incredible…
That zone count is absolutely ridiculous, the new Macbook Pros offer 2000 zones 1600nits, 1000nits fullscreen, and it runs off a battery, over a 14 and 16" screen AND it is a computer.... it is an amazing experience and compared to the G1 OLED I have, holds up very well with no highlight dimming. How on earth is 800 zones over a huge screen like that ever gonna be enough? This is the point of Mini LED, Sony and others have been almost cramming that amount in over the years, and they were regular/large LED's.....very poor tbh, and embarrassing that a product which isn't even a dedicated TV/monitor, is showing the way.
Well it's slightly different when using a TV that's significantly larger. A smaller screen that sits closer to your face has to have an awful lot more dimming zones to deliver the same kind of experience, especially when it comes to haloing, compared to a mini led TV that's 65 inches and is 6 feet away from you.

Think about it. On a 65inch tv an image of a flower on a black background is significantly larger than the same image on a 14 inch screen. So the individual dimming zone sizes can be alot larger.

Mini LED laptop a screens are certainly nice, but my 800 zone mini led 65 inch qn95a exhibits significantly less blooming and haloing during a film or game compared directly to a 14 inch Macbook. Even with the up to twice as many dimming zones in the MacBook, my 65 in TV is 4 times or 5 times bigger than the MacBook and so that needed 3000 or 4000 dimming zones to match the edge haloing compared to my TV.

Well it's slightly different when using a TV that's significantly larger. A smaller screen that sits closer to your face has to have an awful lot more dimming zones to deliver the same kind of experience, especially when it comes to haloing, compared to a mini led TV that's 65 inches and is 6 feet away from you.

Think about it. On a 65inch tv an image of a flower on a black background is significantly larger than the same image on a 14 inch screen. So the individual dimming zone sizes can be alot larger.

Mini LED laptop a screens are certainly nice, but my 800 zone mini led 65 inch qn95a exhibits significantly less blooming and haloing during a film or game compared directly to a 14 inch Macbook. Even with the up to twice as many dimming zones in the MacBook, my 65 in TV is 4 times or 5 times bigger than the MacBook and so that needed 3000 or 4000 dimming zones to match the edge haloing compared to my TV.

I can't agree with that, having it sat directly in front of a 77" G1 OLED, it is incredible what that Macbook offers. I'll just add that people confuse glare with blooming too, and on an oled the light can glow around white on black backgrounds, but it is normal.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom