Samsung QN95A Neo QLED Owners and Discussion Thread

Anyone else get this? I used to get it very, very occasionally on my old Samsung and get it probably once a week on this one.

The sound continues in the background and if I go to the Xbox Home Screen (blindly) it fixes it, presumably as it switches out of game mode. Turning the tv off and on also fixes it.

So so annoying

B6288479-B2F2-46C1-A792-6DDD85ACF5C0.jpeg

Got my QN95A 65inch yeaterday. Until now, I like it a lot. No pixel bugs, great picture and sound. I had the Q90R 55inch, which it close to what the QN95a looks like (PQ). The QN95A has a lot mote dimming zones, so I guess its better :)

For sure HDR movies are impressive. Man .. sharp light sources burns a hole in the screen :) It looks good. The picture dynamic range is impressively high.
Yes,.. ot's very bright !!! I'm really afraid of burning the tv.. What's the best way to ease it down ?? As they always say, in HDR it is set to max brightness in the settings as is contrast.. ?? What can we do ?

Anyone else get this? I used to get it very, very occasionally on my old Samsung and get it probably once a week on this one.

The sound continues in the background and if I go to the Xbox Home Screen (blindly) it fixes it, presumably as it switches out of game mode. Turning the tv off and on also fixes it.

So so annoying

View attachment 1615117

I have it 1 time per day minimum, is very annoying and Samsung doesn't give a fix. Last Samsung product I will buy.

Okay i got y QN95A today. It came with the firmware 1807 preinstalled. So it looks like it's one of the latest panel versions.
I did not see any Dirty Screen Effect on my QN95A next to my LG OLED G1. And for now i did not found any problems.
But what really confuses me is, why do i have to Enable "Contrast Enhancer" on the QN95A and "HDR Tone Mapping" on the LG OLED G1 to avoid missive black crush when playing a HDR movie?
Interesting it came with 1807. I posted earlier in the thread about 1808.1 making the picture on my QN95A more "fuzzy"/"grainy", not as sharp on the edges of objects, particularly in dark scenes and a noticeable if not huge step down in image quality. Seems like it's something do do with the upscaling algorithm. I contacted Samsung about it but as seems to be normal, they basically don't care and don't consider things like this an issue.

If you update to 1808.1 at some point can you take a good look at the picture quality before the update and then after for a few different types of sources and see if you can spot the same difference I noticed?

I've been looking at the picture of 1808.1 now I feel like my eyes are deceiving me, would be super useful if you can see a difference on your set?

If you truly believe white is not white is to do a calibration on your screen. With something like callman software with a calibrator device. Mine got out of the factory pritty perfect in image when i went to calibrate, it was all below visible thresspoint so i kept it the way it was
Hi
Doesn’t calibration help to get a sharper image even with yet sharp is at maximum?
Let see these 2 pics
First is qn95a
Second is q9f
I don’t succeed to fix this blurry image on my new screen.. difference isn’t big but big enough to see it with my eyes..

B213CB45-6D47-4FD6-8693-E0768FC5FF93.jpeg
FFEC80AF-37D7-4B9E-9C58-7589179AEFF9.jpeg

Last edited:
I've seen the so called "blinking" problem a couple of times now since last Saturday. I watch tv 2-3 hours pr. day. So it's not super frequent here, using a external tv boks from my tv provider. I guess a HDMI 2.0a box. The screen goes black + sound off - for a couple of seconds, and then return normally again. It irritates me, since I thought this was an issue with HDMI 2.1 high bandwidth units, like the PS5, which seems to be hit hard by the problem.

Other than that, I don't have any problems with the tv. But the blinking stuff is bad enough, and I'm thinking of returning the tv, getting my money back. The store where I bought it, have a full month return policy. And I've had it for almost a week now.

Its just the black friday offer, which as super good :) I just hate thinking about the blinking screen, which irritates my perfectionism. I don't trust Samsung, that they can fix is with FW updates. They couldn't do it with the Samsung C750, which also had the problem.

What about LG or others brands, don't they suffer from the same blinking, why just Samsung?

I've seen the so called "blinking" problem a couple of times now since last Saturday. I watch tv 2-3 hours pr. day. So it's not super frequent here, using a external tv boks from my tv provider. I guess a HDMI 2.0a box. The screen goes black + sound off - for a couple of seconds, and then return normally again. It irritates me, since I thought this was an issue with HDMI 2.1 high bandwidth units, like the PS5, which seems to be hit hard by the problem.

Other than that, I don't have any problems with the tv. But the blinking stuff is bad enough, and I'm thinking of returning the tv, getting my money back. The store where I bought it, have a full month return policy. And I've had it for almost a week now.

Its just the black friday offer, which as super good :) I just hate thinking about the blinking screen, which irritates my perfectionism. I don't trust Samsung, that they can fix is with FW updates. They couldn't do it with the Samsung C750, which also had the problem.

What about LG or others brands, don't they suffer from the same blinking, why just Samsung?
I had a very lenghty investigation on the HDMI dropouts (3 long remote sessions in 3 days) and of course nothing came of it, their advice since I am within the first month of ownership: return it and get a replacement.

I am not doing that as it is a right PITA to dismount, pack and vice versa and I have done it already once (the first set was DOA). Also, this set is perfect, no DSE and the blooming (see what I did there) global dimming is gone, HDR is glorious, it is a keeper.

What I have found however is that dropouts are device specific. When I connect my Magbox 520 directly it drops every 5 seconds or so, when I pass it through a splitter it is perfect. Mind you, I only get upscaled 1080p through the splitter and not native 4K but still it is usable.

That is why I presume they don't know how to fix it entirely. At least I have a way to replicate the issue consistently should push come to shove and it becomes widespread.

Hey,
I have a family member, who also bought a 65inch QN95A on black friday. He said, that when he runs a cable test on his Apple TV 4K device, that the blackout drop of picture and sound also happens each time. And, that it could be the copy protection implementation, that is embedded into the HDMI connection, that does it. Not sure, but it could be, since the HDMI devices I have attached to my old Samsung C750 and now the new QN95A, has copyrighted program material blocking embedded into the connection, and they all blinked.

He also said, that he would try to order an expensive 8K HDMI quality connector, to se if it helps. I said, that some of you guys already had tried that, and that is didn't help. But anyway, could be nice to hear his result of that.

Man... I hope it's fixable and software (firmware), or maybe by a better 8K certified HDMI cable?!

Since every runs on software (microcode) these day, the copy protection stuff in the HMDI standard, probably is changeable / fixable. At least I hope so.

It would be a pity to return such a good tv because of the blinking problem :-(

Had mine delivered last week. I didn't take it out of the box for a few days. Anyone know what this very strange white residue is at the back of the tv? It arrived covered in it. I've never seen it on anything else before. I've also spotted some white spots that resemble mold. This can't be right surely?

Attachments

• 20211209_181930.jpg
    20211209_181930.jpg
    280.9 KB · Views: 200
  • 20211209_181327.jpg
    20211209_181327.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 185
Hi
Doesn’t calibration help to get a sharper image even with yet sharp is at maximum?
Let see these 2 pics
First is qn95a
Second is q9f
I don’t succeed to fix this blurry image on my new screen.. difference isn’t big but big enough to see it with my eyes..

View attachment 1616165View attachment 1616166
I noticed this too. I saw a video that said that the Ultra Wide Viewing Angle is the cause of the less sharper image.

Hi
Let see these 2 pics
First is qn95a
Second is q9f

View attachment 1616165View attachment 1616166
Which viewing mode ?? Standard has more sharpness and clearness I think.

Had mine delivered last week. I didn't take it out of the box for a few days. Anyone know what this very strange white residue is at the back of the tv? It arrived covered in it. I've never seen it on anything else before. I've also spotted some white spots that resemble mold. This can't be right surely?
Difficult to say, could be dust as with static it can form patterns on plastic objects or it could be mould but that would definitely smell.
Either way if that’s got inside your screen it’s very bad news - I would send it back immediately.

Mine looked nothing like that, was perfectly clean. I maybe wrong but it looks like it could be a return maybe. Did the internal packaging look opened and repackaged in anyway? I would be returning that to the retailer.

This looks like storage in a high humidity environment, return ASAP.

100% agree, I would return the tv. Nothing new should look like this. I do remember samsung once (with my previous Q90R ), send a replacement panel, that was dirty like this. As if somehow had wiped the tv screen with some kind of fluid (which made small thin scratches in the panel).

I said to the repair guys, that he could take the panel with him again, send it back. The quality control is obviously not very good.

Difficult to say, could be dust as with static it can form patterns on plastic objects or it could be mould but that would definitely smell.
Either way if that’s got inside your screen it’s very bad news - I would send it back immediately.
Mine looked nothing like that, was perfectly clean. I maybe wrong but it looks like it could be a return maybe. Did the internal packaging look opened and repackaged in anyway? I would be returning that to the retailer.
This looks like storage in a high humidity environment, return ASAP.
100% agree, I would return the tv. Nothing new should look like this. I do remember samsung once (with my previous Q90R ), send a replacement panel, that was dirty like this. As if somehow had wiped the tv screen with some kind of fluid (which made small thin scratches in the panel).

I said to the repair guys, that he could take the panel with him again, send it back. The quality control is obviously not very good.
Cheers everyone. Just got off the phone to RicherSounds, they're sending a replacement on Tuesday. Now sending evidence & packing up.

Hey, about the Filmmaker mode, is sharpness and all other picture processing settings disabled?
It says, that the mode should disable all picture processing settings, but I can still select motion setting, sharpness and such?!

My imagination is probably playing tricks on me. I can't decide whether the standard mode or the filmmaker mode is best for sharpness, if sharpness works in FM mode. The sharp setting of 10, seems to make the picture better, not so smoothed out polished. Not sure if it will work in FM mode?

Hey, about the Filmmaker mode, is sharpness and all other picture processing settings disabled?
It says, that the mode should disable all picture processing settings, but I can still select motion setting, sharpness and such?!

My imagination is probably playing tricks on me. I can't decide whether the standard mode or the filmmaker mode is best for sharpness, if sharpness works in FM mode. The sharp setting of 10, seems to make the picture better, not so smoothed out polished. Not sure if it will work in FM mode?
Filmmaker mode has all picture processing disabled and is calibrated to be as close as possible to the original content, however, that doesn't mean one can't customise it further to match their requirements.

I have only gone one notch down in colour to Warm 1 for SDR and HDR (Warm 2 is far too rich for my liking) and Local dimming to Low (both SDR and HDR) as Standard (SDR) or High (HDR) blows highlights to retina blistering proportions (I guess it also shows the brightness capabilities of the set).

I can't believe they didn't have it for the Q85R (the Q95T had it enabled via a software update), it is very potent IMHO.

Filmmaker mode has all picture processing disabled and is calibrated to be as close as possible to the original content, however, that doesn't mean one can't customise it further to match their requirements.

I have only gone one notch down in colour to Warm 1 for SDR and HDR (Warm 2 is far too rich for my liking) and Local dimming to Low (both SDR and HDR) as Standard (SDR) or High (HDR) blows highlights to retina blistering proportions (I guess it also shows the brightness capabilities of the set).

I can't believe they didn't have it for the Q85R (the Q95T had it enabled via a software update), it is very potent IMHO.
Thanks Evans76,

I tried the different picture modes, and is returning to movie or Filmmaker mode on all tv / Movie material. The colors on Filmmaker mode is spot on accurate, compared to the other modes.

Today I watched a HDR movie from the Plex tv app, where subtitles was added to the movie.
Man.. the text was crazy sharp, almost blinding me. I guess it's the Plex app , that need to have some kind of subtitle low, mid, high brightness feature, or? If any of you use Plex, you might have noticed the subtitle as too bright.

Thanks Evans76,

I tried the different picture modes, and is returning to movie or Filmmaker mode on all tv / Movie material. The colors on Filmmaker mode is spot on accurate, compared to the other modes.

Today I watched a HDR movie from the Plex tv app, where subtitles was added to the movie.
Man.. the text was crazy sharp, almost blinding me. I guess it's the Plex app , that need to have some kind of subtitle low, mid, high brightness feature, or? If any of you use Plex, you might have noticed the subtitle as too bright.
That's the local dimming I think, if in anything other than Low it blows highlights (inc subs) to crazy brightness.

The algorithm tries to suppress but it fails most of the time so they come up super bright, at least there is minimal blooming (only around the area where the subs are) and global dimming (the only reason I replaced my Q85R) never kicks in (thank you 700+ dimming zones of the 65").

I don't like super bright highlights anyway so local dimming in Low works for me.

For those that have had to raise issues with Samsung, how have you found the best way to do this to get an engineer out? Raise the issue through Twitter, email Samsung, call up?

For those that have had to raise issues with Samsung, how have you found the best way to do this to get an engineer out? Raise the issue through Twitter, email Samsung, call up?
Chat, you will be in the queue for about half/one hour (I tend to do it on mobile while I am watching) and then endure the whole remote session malarkey (and the inevitable reset where you lose all your settings), then if they deem it worthy of an engineer visit it will be arranged.

If you are within the first 2 weeks/month (dependent on retailer) of ownership you will simply be asked to return/replace.

Don't expect much, the whole support process (and service) is excruciatingly bad and if you don't have a fault that can be easily replicated (or the set isn't completely dead) don't even bother, especially with PQ issues, you will be fobbed off and good luck with logging a complaint (they even give you bogus reference numbers to get you off their back :)).

The 5 year free warranty is there for major issues, any niggle that you can't live with just return the set and buy something else, don't rely on Samsung support to rectify as it is hopeless at that (and I have been a Samsung owner for the best part of 5 years now but at least know in advance what I am getting myself into).

Chat, you will be in the queue for about half/one hour (I tend to do it on mobile while I am watching) and then endure the whole remote session malarkey (and the inevitable reset where you lose all your settings), then if they deem it worthy of an engineer visit it will be arranged.

If you are within the first 2 weeks/month (dependent on retailer) of ownership you will simply be asked to return/replace.

Don't expect much, the whole support process (and service) is excruciatingly bad and if you don't have a fault that can be easily replicated (or the set isn't completely dead) don't even bother, especially with PQ issues, you will be fobbed off and good luck with logging a complaint (they even give you bogus reference numbers to get you off their back :)).

The 5 year free warranty is there for major issues, any niggle that you can't live with just return the set and buy something else, don't rely on Samsung support to rectify as it is hopeless at that (and I have been a Samsung owner for the best part of 5 years now but at least know in advance what I am getting myself into).
Thanks mate. Its for a shocking DSE issue and I suspect they will try and say its within the boundaries. Worth a shot.

Did you buy it from a shop? I had it on 2 65 qn95a but Currys were really good and I returned both of them

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom