Samsung QN95A Neo QLED Owners and Discussion Thread

Well my UK QE65QN90AATXXU looks to be IPS. I watched loads of reviews who all said it was an amazing VA panel. Funnily, I previously returned a Hisense as the UK version of the same model number was really cut down with 100 dimming zones instead of 576, IPS instead of VA & no HDMI 2.1 but priced same as US.
Next time I get a TV I’ll import it from the US as don’t watch live TV anyway.
I’m not that gutted as the TV was a free replacement for a bust LG OLED E6 & even this IPS knocks the OLED out the water barring stars in space in a dark room.
I don’t have a HDMI 2.1 device but using a DP to HDMI my 2080 is able do 4k 120hz 10bit 4.2.2. No VRR as DP kills that ability.
Never had any HDMI drop outs.
Looks like this is my last post on this thread as I don’t have a real QN90A & judging by the false marketing & forced adverts I’ll prob not get a Samsung tv again.

@Jay53
Yes your right that the QN90A-US version is actually the QN9/1A/3A/4A-EU version.
The funny thing is that the QN92A is also the same but with Bluetooth 5.2. :facepalm:
I think Samsung has a few to many higher up employees that are on crack. :smoke:

@JunoFirst
Yeah i know i have also an OLED the LG G1 and my QN95A replacement will arrive tomorrow. The black crush and the low brightness in specular highlights is very bad. And the ABL is also annoying when using it as a PC Monitor.
Oh and if you like to do 4:4:4 with your RTX card then get the Cable Matters, USB-C to HDMI 2..1 Adapter only VRR won't work with it.

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Like my new sig :D
Only had the TV 6weeks & also paying Knowhow -who paid for TV from a bust OLED.
Do you think I have a just cause to send TV back & get a UK QN95 where I presume Samsung let the UK have a VA panel?

Anyone else suffering from the dreaded 'Global Dimming/PWM' on their QN sets? I've looked online and see it widely reported, it happens to my QN90a as well.

Darker scenes get even darker, where in Game Mode the white/grey UI gets drowned into the blacks because it starts dimming. I've disabled everything in the usual settings and I wondered if anyone dared to edit the PWM values in the SM. Is Samsung able to detect these changes, even if you revert the PMW values back to their original source in SM?

Is this IPS or VA?
Crop2-dead-pixel-1024.jpg

Well my UK QE65QN90AATXXU looks to be IPS. I watched loads of reviews who all said it was an amazing VA panel. Funnily, I previously returned a Hisense as the UK version of the same model number was really cut down with 100 dimming zones instead of 576, IPS instead of VA & no HDMI 2.1 but priced same as US.
Next time I get a TV I’ll import it from the US as don’t watch live TV anyway.
I’m not that gutted as the TV was a free replacement for a bust LG OLED E6 & even this IPS knocks the OLED out the water barring stars in space in a dark room.
I don’t have a HDMI 2.1 device but using a DP to HDMI my 2080 is able do 4k 120hz 10bit 4.2.2. No VRR as DP kills that ability.
Never had any HDMI drop outs.
Looks like this is my last post on this thread as I don’t have a real QN90A & judging by the false marketing & forced adverts I’ll prob not get a Samsung tv again.

Unfortunately it's all to common and is not a recent thing either.

For example I have a 2019 q85r which doesn't exist in the US. Above it is the q90r and below it the q80r.

Q80R in the UK is inferior to the us q80r. the q85r is effectively the us q80r.

It's all about local markets and the issue comes from that the vast majority of reviews come from the US so we compare products that we don't actually end up with. but we can't get a refund as Samsung never said those features existed locally.

However this is not just a Samsung thing and happens elsewhere. Denon for example lack preouts and remote jack on the lower models in the EU/GB that are present on the US models which lo and behold are the majority of reviews. It means a lower end model in the us actually has the same zone capability as an GB/EU model 2 above it and double the cost lol.

I was very close to buying this TV awhile back but went with Sony A90j instead mainly for gaming but I’d love to own this TV as TV in out TV room. Having the best OLED (in my opinion) and best Samsung is very appealing but these reported issues are big concern as I have similar issues with my mu8000 afew years ago.

Is a mad at the moment to consider the QN95A ?

Hi there

i have a quite big problem which I don’t succeed to solve:
i had (still have actually till I know what I do of it) a qe65q9f, and I be just bought a qe65qn95a.
my problem is that I spent a day to try various settings and I don’t succeed to get an image as sharp and luminous as the q9f. I’ve tried as an exemple the ratings setting in movie mode, not ugly but white aren’t white clear and luminous and as I said image isn’t as sharp as the q9f.
what can I do?
thanks

If you truly believe white is not white is to do a calibration on your screen. With something like callman software with a calibrator device. Mine got out of the factory pritty perfect in image when i went to calibrate, it was all below visible thresspoint so i kept it the way it was

Okay i got y QN95A today. It came with the firmware 1807 preinstalled. So it looks like it's one of the latest panel versions.
I did not see any Dirty Screen Effect on my QN95A next to my LG OLED G1. And for now i did not found any problems.
But what really confuses me is, why do i have to Enable "Contrast Enhancer" on the QN95A and "HDR Tone Mapping" on the LG OLED G1 to avoid missive black crush when playing a HDR movie?

Last edited:
Okay i got y QN95A today. It came with the firmware 1807 preinstalled. So it looks like it's one of the latest panel versions.
I did not see any Dirty Screen Effect on my QN95A next to my LG OLED G1. And for now i did not found any problems.
But what really confuses me is, why do i have to Enable "Contrast Enhancer" on the QN95A and "HDR Tone Mapping" on the LG OLED G1 to avoid missive black crush when playing a HDR movie?

Can I ask your overall thoughts on the TV? Any issues with one connect box with Sky or PS5/Xbox ?

Very tempted to buy but this thread has made me concern as nearly even comment is problem rather than praising it ?

Can I ask your overall thoughts on the TV? Any issues with one connect box with Sky or PS5/Xbox ?

Very tempted to buy but this thread has made me concern as nearly even comment is problem rather than praising it ?
The display is connected to my PC with 120hz/12-bit/4:4:4/1080p/HDR/VRR, and I didn't had any problems for now.

The LG OLED G1 has better clarity in busy content like fireworks and has faster picture responds time. But the brightness sucks especially in game mode which they cut the brightness even more by around 20%. :facepalm: Even in dark SDR content the QN95A can produce better highlights.
And the QN95A has also better skin ton colors and the blooming is okay compared to an OLED.
And this OLED ABL is also anyone when you using the display as a PC desktop screen.

The OLED is going back tomorrow. And the QN95A was even 300€ less.

Let's hope that QD-OLED can fix this low brightness problem on OLED's.

Last edited:
Ok quick update. I had my QE65QN95A delivered and assume it's a newer one as it already had the latest firmware installed. I've got it hooked up to my PS5, Sony UHD player directly into the one connect box and Sony Amp via eARC. Not wanting to tempt fate, but so far I haven't had any cut outs on any of these sources. I am really impressed by this TV and all screen tests have been fine. Wow this thing in HDR game mode with BF2042 is amazing.

Last edited:
I’ve given up with game mode on my QN85QN95A, It just doesn’t work. It was constantly freezing on menu screens or had a blacked out screen. Since turning off game mode it’s been perfect and I prefer to look of games in movie mode.

I have it hooked up to a Denon AVR-X1700H with a Xbox series x and a ps5. Haven’t had a single issue since I turned off game mode and I’d rather have a better picture and loose a few milliseconds response time.

I still get 4K/120hz HDR but I don’t get VRR now. I haven’t noticed any lag or screen tearing since turning it off though and I think it looks better than it did in game mode.

I noticed when i don't use the PC input on the QN95A for my PC then I will have a pinkish Hue tint in the grays.
Can it be that 4:4:4 is only supported in PC mode or why is this happening?

Last edited:
I’ve given up with game mode on my QN85QN95A, It just doesn’t work. It was constantly freezing on menu screens or had a blacked out screen. Since turning off game mode it’s been perfect and I prefer to look of games in movie mode.

I have it hooked up to a Denon AVR-X1700H with a Xbox series x and a ps5. Haven’t had a single issue since I turned off game mode and I’d rather have a better picture and loose a few milliseconds response time.

I still get 4K/120hz HDR but I don’t get VRR now. I haven’t noticed any lag or screen tearing since turning it off though and I think it looks better than it did in game mode.

If I turn off the game mode I only get 4k@60fps.

Where do you place the one connect box for the QN95A to get good ventilation for it?
I have a hard time finding the optimal place for it. I don’t want to see it, so right now I have it in a closed cabinet. Not much airflow for it and I’m afraid if it gets too hot.
I have my tv (55”) mounted on the stand and i was thinking if it’s possible to mount the ocb box on the back of the tv on the VESA mount, because there is room for it.

Attachments

• 638CD9CE-DAAD-4062-B2AF-2986266EFEA0.jpeg
    638CD9CE-DAAD-4062-B2AF-2986266EFEA0.jpeg
    140.1 KB · Views: 121
@sonnny
I have put mine upwards behind the TV. I would not put it in the cabinet. I don't trust Samsung to not have cut costs with the cooling.

I am sure I read when it first due to come out the qn95a was expected to come with two ocb cables.

A short one so that you could choose to mount the box on the stand or

When the TV is wall mounted use a longer cable and OCB is put with the rest of your av equipment so source hdmi to the ocb cables can be kept short?

Edit' Having looked it up, it appears that come release time Samsung only did this for the 8k qn900a as it has the slim line ocb I'd seen previously that mounts to the stand and choice of very short or the longer ocb cables.

Looks like you have the big chunky ocb like I have on my q85r :(

Last edited:
Where do you place the one connect box for the QN95A to get good ventilation for it?
I have a hard time finding the optimal place for it. I don’t want to see it, so right now I have it in a closed cabinet. Not much airflow for it and I’m afraid if it gets too hot.
I have my tv (55”) mounted on the stand and i was thinking if it’s possible to mount the ocb box on the back of the tv on the VESA mount, because there is room for it.
I don't think that's ideal. I had mine out in the open on the back of the TV unit and it still got really hot. (which might have explained the issues that I had and had to return it.)

I am sure I read when it first due to come out the qn95a was expected to come with two ocb cables.

A short one so that you could choose to mount the box on the stand or

When the TV is wall mounted use a longer cable and OCB is put with the rest of your av equipment so source hdmi to the ocb cables can be kept short?

Edit' Having looked it up, it appears that come release time Samsung only did this for the 8k qn900a as it has the slim line ocb I'd seen previously that mounts to the stand and choice of very short or the longer ocb cables.

Looks like you have the big chunky ocb like I have on my q85r :(
The QN95A cable is (unfortunately) nothing like the Q85R one.

The QN95A OCB cable is shorter (about half the length) and significantly bulkier (twice the diameter, maybe more, definitely not "near-invisible"). which means if you like me had a wall-mounted Q85R and expected the same length cable (and the same routing), you are out of luck. I had to reroute the cable or buy a 5m 2021 One Near-Invisible Cable for the bargain price of £149.

You can however mount the QN95A OCB on the mount and use the provided OCC with some clever routing, 2 sided tape is your friend in this case.

Got my QN95A 65inch yeaterday. Until now, I like it a lot. No pixel bugs, great picture and sound. I had the Q90R 55inch, which it close to what the QN95a looks like (PQ). The QN95A has a lot mote dimming zones, so I guess its better :)

I was fiddling with the picture noise removal feature, which can be set to off or auto. But I couldn't see a difference. I thought it might clean up noisy low bitrate (8mbit) tv stuff a little, but I couldn't see the difference with or without it?!

For sure HDR movies are impressive. Man .. sharp light sources burns a hole in the screen :) It looks good. The picture dynamic range is impressively high.

Sound is good in standard mode, but I can't hear any movement left/right in the tv speakers. I guess the speaker system is improved compared to previous Samsung models, right?!

Question, that troubles me a little:
Do you guys hear very slight low humming, buzzing noise coming from the one connect box? I do, and I also hear what sounds like a small FAN in the box, when it gets a little hot. I guess, it's all normal, or?!

I can tell you, that I haven't had any picture blinking problems with the screen. I'm using a cable tv provider recorder box and its tuner. I think its HDMI 2.0x, which could be why I haven't seen the blinking. Judged from what was said in the thread, it sounded like it was HDMI 2.1 problems, maybe only with the latest playstation unit?!

The solar cell remote charging with indoor light, seems to be stucked at 55%. When I connected the remote to USB, it went from 55% to 65% in about 15 minutes, half an hour. I guess the light source should be a lot more powerful, to charge it up.

All in all, after a few days of usage, I really like the tv. I'm using the v1805 firmware, which I can see isn't the latest one. Has any of you compared 1805 vs. 1808, what has changed for the better?

Hi. Yes I can also hear a very low pitch noise from my one connect box, although not audible when the TV sound is on and nothing in comparison to my PS5 😂

Thanks for reply,

Agree, the connect box noise is very low pitched, and not audible at all with normal background noise. I can see, that older revisions of the one Connect box also has a fan build in. Its perfectly fine, as long as it doesn't start to be noisy :)

I've looked for calibration settings, and found rtings' settings of the QN90A. Hmm.. they say that it won't do much trying to use their while balance / color settings?! Not sure if its worth a try.

Until now, I'm using the Filmmaker Mode, and has turned down the brightness to 7. Otherwise it hurts my eyes a bit. My room is petty dark, so I don't need the brightness to be any higher. I think the default value is about 25 or so.

Other than the brightness, I've disabled much of the power saving stuff, especially the brightness option, that automatically controlled it up and down, depending on the room light. It sometimes has it's own life.

But Samsung has come a long why, when you look at how much you needed to set on the tv, to get good PQ. You don't need to do that much anymore, which is nice.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom