Samsung QN95A Neo QLED Owners and Discussion Thread

Must admit OLED only have 2 problems: poor brightness & screen burn.
Do other TV makers have issues with HDMI 2.1?
I know someone with a Q90R who is running HDMI 2.1 fine on a Series X.
I'm thinking with next years 8k the dead pixels will be harder to see.
My opinion is that Samsung are now maximising profit by forcing more adverts/Alexa/Google & reducing component cost/build quality & the HDMI 2.1 issue is because of low quality parts.

Are the hdmi drop outs just on the q95a? Or do you find them on the q90a too?

Are the hdmi drop outs just on the q95a? Or do you find them on the q90a too?
My Q85R had dropouts (both sound and image) until I figured out that Input Signal Plus wasn't needed in anything other than port 4 for my son's Xbox Series X.

Didn't have any issues after with VM v6 Box, MagBox or Xbox One S in inputs 1-3 and the boy was playing uninterrupted for hours on teacher training days (and still thinks I am the father of the century now that I upgraded to the QN95A even though he hasn't played on it yet :) ).

My Q85R had dropouts (both sound and image) until I figured out that Input Signal Plus wasn't needed in anything other than port 4 for my son's Xbox Series X.

Didn't have any issues after with VM v6 Box, MagBox or Xbox One S in inputs 1-3 and the boy was playing uninterrupted for hours on teacher training days (and still thinks I am the father of the century now that I upgraded to the QN95A even though he hasn't played on it yet :) ).
Thanks for this, been looking at the q95a for a while, but the dropouts made me shift to the q90a (only need 1 hdmi2.1 anyway)

Must admit OLED only have 2 problems: poor brightness & screen burn.
Do other TV makers have issues with HDMI 2.1?
I know someone with a Q90R who is running HDMI 2.1 fine on a Series X.
I'm thinking with next years 8k the dead pixels will be harder to see.
My opinion is that Samsung are now maximising profit by forcing more adverts/Alexa/Google & reducing component cost/build quality & the HDMI 2.1 issue is because of low quality parts.
And black crush. If you don't enable HDR Tone Mapping.

I would like to add in that I just bought a new 55” QN95A this week at a great deal and everything seems to work perfectly!
No problems like the ones mentioned here.
I was unsure at the beginning when I noticed some small issues with uniformity (darker at the corners only) but I think it’s ok for a VA panel.
I’m extremely happy!

Last edited:
Hi all I'm new to this forum, I purchased a qn95a a couple of months ago. Did have an LG oled for a few years and was very pleased with it but it started to suffer screen burn and I do a lot of gaming so did not want to risk an oled again. On the whole I like the Samsung but have a issue besides the one where the screen goes black for a second. So I notice when playing cod vanguard multiplayer on a couple of maps where it can get a bit busy eg shipment and das haus I notice the screen becomes to be full of small rectangles. I'm playing on ps5 not sure if it the back light struggling with the repeating explosions from mortar strikes for example or if it's the game needing patching. Thoughts or recommendations on any settings that may help and has any one had a similar issue. Thank you

Hi all I'm new to this forum, I purchased a qn95a a couple of months ago. Did have an LG oled for a few years and was very pleased with it but it started to suffer screen burn and I do a lot of gaming so did not want to risk an oled again. On the whole I like the Samsung but have a issue besides the one where the screen goes black for a second. So I notice when playing cod vanguard multiplayer on a couple of maps where it can get a bit busy eg shipment and das haus I notice the screen becomes to be full of small rectangles. I'm playing on ps5 not sure if it the back light struggling with the repeating explosions from mortar strikes for example or if it's the game needing patching. Thoughts or recommendations on any settings that may help and has any one had a similar issue. Thank you
You need to report it to Samsung, I have this fault as well were the screen goes black watching sky. I am waiting for a engineer to come out to install a new firmware that fixes it.

Can we make a global reclamation to Samsung to get the firmware fix?

Can we make a global reclamation to Samsung to get the firmware fix?
It's definitely a big widespread issue, it should be top priority for them to rollout this HDMI update. Its disappointing their flagship model has such a fundamental issue. I'm just hoping it can be fixed via firmware and its not something hardware related. I got the QN95A as a warranty swap for a Q90R and although the picture is better there is a lot more technical issues. If the issues aren't sorted by early next year when they release the 2022 lineups I'll be demanding a warranty swap to the 2022 flagship model, no doubt that will come with its own issues too though.

So far so good
Thanks for this, been looking at the q95a for a while, but the dropouts made me shift to the q90a (only need 1 hdmi2.1 anyway)
So far so good, replacement is mounted and this one turns on :clap:.

The middle boy has first dibs and is putting it through its paces as he has been "suffering" without for 3 whole days!

Haven't changed any settings other than putting it in movie mode (had forgotten how garish the default is), haven't heard any howls of protest so far so Xbox Series X on Game Mode with default settings (bar the above) seems to work as it should.

The big HDR dimming test on Prime is tonight, if it passes I will be a very happy owner indeed.

So far so good

So far so good, replacement is mounted and this one turns on :clap:.

The middle boy has first dibs and is putting it through its paces as he has been "suffering" without for 3 whole days!

Haven't changed any settings other than putting it in movie mode (had forgotten how garish the default is), haven't heard any howls of protest so far so Xbox Series X on Game Mode with default settings (bar the above) seems to work as it should.

The big HDR dimming test on Prime is tonight, if it passes I will be a very happy owner indeed.
Thank you for the update.

I have mine coming from RS next week as they were out of stock. I'm hoping that Samsung have updated any recent sets before they ship them out. Wil have to wait and see.

I leave you this, I do not know if it has already been said.

Here in Spain some owners of QN95 had signal losses of a couple of seconds randomly.

In his case it was with the Fire TV and with a TV decoder.

In the case of fire TV, they are solved by setting the color to 12bits.

In the case of a TV decoder, they are solved by not leaving automatic resolution, putting a fixed one in its place, whatever you want.

Thank you for the update.

I have mine coming from RS next week as they were out of stock. I'm hoping that Samsung have updated any recent sets before they ship them out. Wil have to wait and see.
The set updated automagically to v1805.4 when connected to the interwebs so I wouldn't hold my breath, Samsung is notorious for NOT updating their sets, OTA updates specifically take forever to come through.

So I notice when playing cod vanguard multiplayer on a couple of maps where it can get a bit busy eg shipment and das haus I notice the screen becomes to be full of small rectangles. I'm playing on ps5 not sure if it the back light struggling with the repeating explosions from mortar strikes for example or if it's the game needing patching. Thoughts or recommendations on any settings that may help and has any one had a similar issue. Thank you
That sounds like the PS5 graphics overheating or faulty. Large polygons instead of millions is the GPU struggling. Test on another TV.
How could the TV invent odd shapes anyway unless motion control is on.

That sounds like the PS5 graphics overheating or faulty. Large polygons instead of millions is the GPU struggling. Test on another TV.
I would agree, those do sound like symptoms from the PS5 GPU.

Thanks for the reply, my feelings are the ps5 too, its not odd shapes it's rectangles almost like like back lighting is trying to keep up with what's going on. No motion control on, it does improve if I turn the brightness down and only happens on certain maps and only when there is a lot of explosive effects and smoke. Never have an issue on normal viewing or any other game for that matter.

I leave you this, I do not know if it has already been said.

Here in Spain some owners of QN95 had signal losses of a couple of seconds randomly.

In his case it was with the Fire TV and with a TV decoder.

In the case of fire TV, they are solved by setting the color to 12bits.

In the case of a TV decoder, they are solved by not leaving automatic resolution, putting a fixed one in its place, whatever you want.

And... There is any fix with PC connected?

Hey,

Can anyone advise how one can get hold of this mythical HDMI update? Samsung seem to have no idea about it, but loads of people over several forums are saying it's fixed the dropouts.

Thanks so much!
Jack

Samsung wont acknowledge the update because it would mean admitting there's an issue. We all know there is obviously. It doesn't seem to solve much anyway from what I've read.

I ordered a qn95a 65inch on black friday. I just hope, that it doesn't have any HDMI blinking issues. The HDMI blinking thing also existed on an older Samsung C750 tv I had (2009/2010), in combination with a HDD recorder. It was exactly as described in this thread, picture randomly blinks for 1-2 seconds. Back then, I was sending tons of mails + ringing to Samsung Support, which finally said, that I could buy another tv. I bought the ES8000 tv, which I still have... still going strong. Never a single issue with it. I'm not sure it will be the same with the QN95A, but I hope so :) If I see any kind of problems, blinking or anything else with the QN95, it's going back. There is a month return policy, so I can get my money back.

I guess the new Neo stuff, backlight is new ground. I really hope that the led zones are holding out for years to come :) But I must admit, that I'm a little scared thinking about it, how solid it is made, how long the led zones will hold out.

I have this feeling, that Samsung' tv stuff is getting a little more shaky each year, in terms of stability, quality. I had an Q90R, where the tv backplate was attached with clips, not screws. There was a dead pixel line in the panel, so I decided to get the tv repaired.. .bummer. After the third panel replacement, and more loose clips, plastic problems, I decided to return the tv. The QN95A is probably build the same was. So I hope I never need a repair :)

Are there any good calibration settings for the QN95A? I was hoping that rtings would test the tv.

@SLL
rtings has tested the TV it's the USA version called QN90A = QN95A EU version.
The QN90A EU version is an IPS panel instead of an VA panel.
All QN9X without Ultrawide viewing angels are IPS panels. This is a shitty move from Samsung to fool people.

No way I thought the UK QN90A is a VA panel with it being £200 more than the QN85 with no other differences.
It does ultra wide in game mode but thought that was only on the QN95.
That’s it now, I can’t post in this thread anymore. Lol
Will give the screen a tap in the morning.

@JunoFirst
QN95A UK + QN94A UK = Ultra Viewing Angle = VA.
QN90A UK = Wide Viewing Angle = IPS (ADS).
IPS (ADS) Panel, Has a bit faster pixel response time.
VA Panel, Has better viewing angles and 2x better native blacks and better anti-reflective coating and less blooming.

Last edited:
@JunoFirst
QN95A UK + QN94A UK = Ultra Viewing Angle = VA.
QN90A UK = Wide Viewing Angle = IPS (ADS).
IPS (ADS) Panel, Has a bit faster pixel response time.
VA Panel, Has better viewing angles and 2x better native blacks and better anti-reflective coating and less blooming.
And just so Samsung can confuse everyone a bit more the QN95A is not entirely the same as US QN90A as the former comes with a one connect box. Who knows what else is different :)

Would it be better to say QN94A = US QN90A?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom