Samsung QN95A Neo QLED Owners and Discussion Thread

People who are having audio drop outs, are you using the TV speakers or connecting via an AV receiver?
I an HDMI arc out to a Bose system and have zero noise drop issues on any source . Go Figure. This TV is a needle in the hay stack situation to put right.

I’m the same I have mine connected to a LG SR11RG and I have to be honest I don’t have any drop outs and 4k on Netflix and 4k Blu ray is sharp , mine is a 65inch

Attachments

• BDB105E0-391A-4751-9DD4-7731D1978063.jpeg
    BDB105E0-391A-4751-9DD4-7731D1978063.jpeg
    367 KB · Views: 144
It's been a good day for me. When I first got this I couldn't do (from my RTX 30 series Laptop) Input Signal Plus without it cutting out and Game Mode IPS 4k 120p HDR worked but without sound (I used headphones or a Bluetooth speaker when gaming). Recently Game Mode has started to work with sound from the TV after ages without it.

Today I was bold and decided that I should be able to use my TV as intended (4K 120p 10 Bit HDR Input Signal Plus) so first I tried it and it cut off.... then I tried it again and it appears to be working flawlessly. I finally no longer have regret about this TV & upon receiving my cashback for my Soundbar (Q60T, bought to allow DTS without having to use Plex) I might even upgrade it to a Q700A or Q800A.

My 55" QN95A has not shown any of the faults mentioned in this thread, although I've only had it 5 days.

No sound issues and no momentary black picture issues.

I've now gone through the detailed settings and have the picture/sound close to how I want it. Just a couple of details I've have to fix:

1. Very slight soapy look to faces (in other words the skin tone not quite right) possible caused by some gamma setting needs adjusting.

2. On certain scenes the picture sometimes gets too bright. I've removed the thin plastic film from the 'Samsung' name at the bottom right of the TV (the brightness sensor is behind the name) and the General / Power & Energy Saving / Brightness Optimisation setting has been turned off. I've also turned off the Picture Clarity and Contrast Enhancement settings.

So, a bit more 'playing' with the settings :cool:

Seeing all these issues with 1903 I'm going to stay on 1807 which has been stable for me and no issues with picture quality.

I have been experimenting with the picture settings on my TV ( 85inch) after 1903 firmware upgrade.

If anyone interested, I found the following settings really works well for me;

Not perfect but I am reasonably happy now.

Non HDR content:

Brightness 50
Contract 50
Sharpness 10
Local Dimming low
Contrast enhancement 0ff
Colour tone Standard
Colour Space Settings Native.
Picture clarity off
colour 22

HDR content:

Brightness 50
Contract 50
Sharpness 10
Local Dimming High
Contrast enhancement High
Colour tone Standard
Colour Space Settings Native.
Picture clarity off
colour 22
Gamma 3
shadow details 1

Last edited:
Hi. . I have a qn95a model EU with firmware 1805. I notice that the Local dimming has several bugs mainly with subtitles or in dark areas of the games. with firmware 1903 this bug is fixed?

Hey guys. I have a 65" QN95A and I have this very weird issue with my PS5. If I turn on the TV first and afterwards my PS5 then I have no audio on my PS5 and I have to reset either TV by pressing the power button for 5 seconds or to restart my PS5. If on the other hand I turn on the PS5 first and only then the TV the sound works fine. I have no soundbar, just TV speakers. All the sound settings are at default in the PS5 and TV. Any idea what could cause this issue? To me it seems a problem between Samsung and PS5 because other devices like my PC don't cause any sound issues at all.

I found @ukq95tuser settings completely different to mine, but did notice his TV is an 85" whereas mine is a 55". Maybe the 55" is a different panel to the larger screen sizes.

So here are my Samsung 55QN95A settings for TV Aerial (Freeview Channels) and Sky Q Box (Satellite), bearing in mind the Sky box and Freeview have both SD and HD content:

Picture
Picture Mode Movie
Picture Size 16:9 Standard
PIP Off
Expert Settings
Brightness 8
Contrast 40
Sharpness 5
Colour 25
Tint (G/R) 0
Apply Picture Settings Current Source
Picture Clarity Custom
  • Blur Reduction 10
  • Judder Reduction 3
  • LED Clear Motion Off
  • Noise Reduction Auto
Local Dimming Standard
Contrast Enhancement Off
Film Mode Off
Colour Tone Warm 2
White Balance
  • 2 Point All 0
  • 20 Point Off
Gamma BT.1886
BT.1886 0 0
Shadow Detail 0
RGB Only Mode Off
Colour Space Auto

Sound
Sound Output TV Speaker
Sound Mode Amplify
Expert Settings
Balance 0
Equaliser All 0
HDMI-eARC Mode Off
Digital Output Audio Auto
Digital Output Delay 0
Auto Volume Off
Sound Feedback Low

General
Intelligent Mode Settings Off
External Device Manager
- Anynet+(HDMI-CEC) On
Power & Energy Saving
  • Brightness Optimisation On
  • Brightness Reduction On
  • Motion Lighting On
  • Screen Saver On

Support
Software Update
- Current Version 1808

I found @ukq95tuser settings completely different to mine, but did notice his TV is an 85" whereas mine is a 55". Maybe the 55" is a different panel to the larger screen sizes.

So here are my Samsung 55QN95A settings for TV Aerial (Freeview Channels) and Sky Q Box (Satellite), bearing in mind the Sky box and Freeview have both SD and HD content:

Picture
Picture Mode Movie
Picture Size 16:9 Standard
PIP Off
Expert Settings
Brightness 8
Contrast 40
Sharpness 5
Colour 25
Tint (G/R) 0
Apply Picture Settings Current Source
Picture Clarity Custom
  • Blur Reduction 10
  • Judder Reduction 3
  • LED Clear Motion Off
  • Noise Reduction Auto
Local Dimming Standard
Contrast Enhancement Off
Film Mode Off
Colour Tone Warm 2
White Balance
  • 2 Point All 0
  • 20 Point Off
Gamma BT.1886
BT.1886 0 0
Shadow Detail 0
RGB Only Mode Off
Colour Space Auto

Sound
Sound Output TV Speaker
Sound Mode Amplify
Expert Settings
Balance 0
Equaliser All 0
HDMI-eARC Mode Off
Digital Output Audio Auto
Digital Output Delay 0
Auto Volume Off
Sound Feedback Low

General
Intelligent Mode Settings Off
External Device Manager
- Anynet+(HDMI-CEC) On
Power & Energy Saving
  • Brightness Optimisation On
  • Brightness Reduction On
  • Motion Lighting On
  • Screen Saver On

Support
Software Update
- Current Version 1808
Thanks for sharing your settings. Your settings are so different to mine. I am surprised you have Brightness Optimisation and Reduction settings set to ON. On my TV this would reduce the brightness and make picture almost unwatchable. I will try all your settings at some point.

Hi All,

I've had enough of my LG C1 with regards to flickering issues and various other things.

I've not had a Samsung in some years but just wanted to see if when in 'game mode' does it still have a negative effect on games and adjust the quality?

Also what's the sharpness scale as I know it used go be 0-10 so I used to not be able to do the finer details. Is this set recommended?

Thanks for sharing your settings. Your settings are so different to mine. I am surprised you have Brightness Optimisation and Reduction settings set to ON. On my TV this would reduce the brightness and make picture almost unwatchable. I will try all your settings at some point.
Yes - the setting are completely different to yours, as I've mentioned before, your set is 85" and mine is 55" - bear that in mind - maybe yours is a different panel type.

Moving on to the brightness settings. The UHD blu-ray player have the following different settings:

Picture Mode: FILMMAKER MODE
Brightness: 17
Picture Clarity: Off
Colour Tone: Warm 1

Brightness Optimisation: Off
Motion Lighting: Off

All the other settings are the same as my previous post.

Also what's the sharpness scale as I know it used go be 0-10 so I used to not be able to do the finer details. Is this set recommended?
Sharpness scale is 0 - 10.

I recommend this set - if you intend to purchase a 55" panel.

I an HDMI arc out to a Bose system and have zero noise drop issues on any source . Go Figure. This TV is a needle in the hay stack situation to put right.
It is very specific to Earc (not arc) and passthrough on both devices (xbox series x > TV > audio soundbar) that gives audio drops. If i put it on auto it works, pcm it works, arc it works. But with earc and passthrough my audio delay is basically 0. But random drops audio or no audio at all in worsed cases and i have to restart the tv
Wow and here I thought 1805 was a good version. It's so strange how this is working out.

I contacted Samsung support yesterday and asked them directly and specifically if they would help me update my HDMI firmware to "HDMI-SW 0.90-78742" which for a user on the German forum seems to have fixed his picture quality issues and sound dropouts. It was an extremely frustrating experience as the support agent seemed to be hell-bent on reading from a script rather than responding to the words coming out of my mouth. I kept politely but firmly asking if they could update my HDMI firmware and eventually he agreed and said someone would get back to me.

It's a very long shot but at this stage I've got nothing to lose. If they update the HDMI firmware (which I guess handles some of the signal processing pipeline feeding the TV) it does seem possible this could be a root cause issue separate to the system firmware. I think someone earlier on this thread who had the update applied said that Samsung told them the HDMI firmware that shipped with their TV (and possibly a lot of TV's) was a "mistake" intended for testing with Sky boxes.

As ever, once I hear back from Samsung and if I get the HDMI firmware updated, I'll post back here with any results. If that doesn't work, I'm starting to think about my options. The TV I have is less than a year old and maybe I could get a refund or replacement but I don't want to have to go through the nonsense of engineers coming out and turning my TV into a Frankenstein of replacement parts, especially as the panel itself has barely any DSE and is beautifully even in brightness across.
Diagonali which country as in The Netherlands they just kept refusing (i was on the phone for an hour) and he says company policies will never update hdmi firmware (and i am way behind with as he did show me the firmware of the hdmi port) He said if support does it in another country i should call support of that country.....

Damn i was on 1805 and had disabled auto updates… now the tv auto updated to 1903 anyway

I had no issues on 1805 - no drop outs on either xbox series x (120fps/hdr/4kkr or ps5 (with signal -1 so only 60fps - never tried more)

Just hope this doesnt break anything :|

Hi All,

I've had enough of my LG C1 with regards to flickering issues and various other things.

I've not had a Samsung in some years but just wanted to see if when in 'game mode' does it still have a negative effect on games and adjust the quality?

I have the 65" and play a lot of PS5, so far I have been really happy with this TV for gaming and haven't had any of the issues experienced by other owners. Sharp was is 0-10.

Yeah - mine has done an OTA auto update from 1808 to 1903.

Had a quick check and could not see any difference with settings or the picture and sound.

So - situation normal.

Hi. . I have a qn95a model EU with firmware 1805. I notice that the Local dimming has several bugs mainly with subtitles or in dark areas of the games. with firmware 1903 this bug is fixed?
In game mode I still have issues with subtitles with local dimming. White color shifts to greyish. Did you guys find any fix for this?

In game mode I still have issues with subtitles with local dimming. White color shifts to greyish. Did you guys find any fix for this?
This seems to happen in hdr if local dimming is medium or high. On low it does not happen. In fact i prefer low because the other settings are so bright they hurt my eyes in hdr

Hi All,

What do you call negative? It basically turns off allot of the processes of image quality (which i want off anyway) so yes picture quality will suffer (on paper). Is it a difference you will notice it, no not really. Just make sure you go back to the menu and put the settings the way you like. As gaming mode and when hdr is enabled have there own settings. So lets say you play on xbox and you want to watch netflix without gaming mode on you have to do settings for hdr on and off and then do the same with gaming mode on. Only thing i missed on the series x, is an extra hdmi input like the old xbox. That way i could use my videoforge pro to calibrate my tv on the xbox hdmi port :p. Ohwell cannot have it all. The remote acces works great for calibrating too.
Sharpness is still 1-10 but to be honest it should never go above 3-4

Last edited:
After the 1903 upgrade.. I am now NOT getting 5.1 Audio through my Bose system 650 connected to HDMI 3 ( Arc ). This is an issue on all Samsung Built-in apps such as Netflix and Amazon. I get 5.1 passthrough from SKY Q.

Has anyone else noticed this issue.

This seems to happen in hdr if local dimming is medium or high. On low it does not happen. In fact i prefer low because the other settings are so bright they hurt my eyes in hdr
I feel that setting local dimming to low the image quality doesn't look as good anymore. Also with local dimming set to low you're basically forced to turn on contrast enhancner as otherwise the image will be too dark. Could you tell me your settings you're using?

After latest update I am still getting screen drop outs. Will have to phone them again. Still waiting on the engineer to come out, they keep fobing me off

This is hilarious. Samsung support just a me to get hold of Disney, Amazon and Netflix to resolve the 4K HDR issue.

No, I am not kidding.

They are courteous etc but utterly useless past basics like “have you tried our demo material” or “ please do a reset”

I wonder if an attempt to reach out higher up makes sense. I wonder if this front line support are even in contact with anybody with any technical knowledge.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom