Samsung QN94A Neo QLED Owners and Discussion Thread

I'm looking at the Q94 50 inch for my other room as it's only £799 now but I'm wondering why it's way cheaper than the 55 inch, am I missing something?
It's £559 for the 50 inch version via the Samsung student/Perks at Work portal. I don't believe it comes with a 5 year warranty though. If you search for QN94A on HotUkDeals you should see a link to it.

It's £559 for the 50 inch version via the Samsung student/Perks at Work portal. I don't believe it comes with a 5 year warranty though. If you search for QN94A on HotUkDeals you should see a link to it.
Looking just saw it, what's the samsung epp portal? I'm not a student BTW, lol it says €559

I very much doubt most of the people using that link are students :)

I'm not sure how it works exactly but from what I've read, it's not that difficult to sign up to.

The EPP is the Samsung Employee Portal of some kind where you can find decent discounts on on the Samsung store. Just bear in mind that cashback and warranty offers may not apply to EPP purchases. Best to read the small print!

I very much doubt most of the people using that link are students :)

I'm not sure how it works exactly but from what I've read, it's not that difficult to sign up to.

The EPP is the Samsung Employee Portal of some kind where you can find decent discounts on on the Samsung store. Just bear in mind that cashback and warranty offers may not apply to EPP purchases. Best to read the small print!
I was thinking maybe they are returns or refurbished

Good day, my dilemma currently is trying to get the best pq settings on this tv (mine is the 50” model) The issue is I like having it at standard colour tone as I feel warm 1 and 2 is like looking through yellow 70s glasses. Annoyingly the wifey prefers the warm settings to my standard so we constantly bickering over this. I’m at the stage I wish there was a nearby pro calibration company but as I’m in the highlands of Scotland doesn’t seem to be any from a quick google.

Thus comes my next thought…has anyone attempted to do a calibration themselves ? I stumbled upon YouTube videos of guys using software and external tool/gadget that allowed them to run these colour calibration tests for the preset pictures or something. I’d need to find them again to remember any more details. Just curious what everyone thought about it. I drive myself (and the wife) crazy trying to get a better picture.

I'm looking at the Q94 50 inch for my other room as it's only £799 now but I'm wondering why it's way cheaper than the 55 inch, am I missing something?

The specs are slightly lower than the 55" and above, it has OTS Lite with 2 speakers vs 4+ on the larger models and the panel doesn't have the ultra wide viewing angles of the larger models.

I ran my 50" as my main TV after my 55" Q90R decided to die for a week while it was under repair recently and honestly I think it was just as good apart from not liking my V2 Sky Q 2TB box with no connection on turning on.

Just ordered a QN94A 50” for £560 through student portal, potentially getting a £20 Amazon voucher through voucher codes too. Seems like a great deal even if the 50” is slightly inferior. 55” was just too big for the alcove.

Good day, my dilemma currently is trying to get the best pq settings on this tv (mine is the 50” model) The issue is I like having it at standard colour tone as I feel warm 1 and 2 is like looking through yellow 70s glasses. Annoyingly the wifey prefers the warm settings to my standard so we constantly bickering over this. I’m at the stage I wish there was a nearby pro calibration company but as I’m in the highlands of Scotland doesn’t seem to be any from a quick google.

Thus comes my next thought…has anyone attempted to do a calibration themselves ? I stumbled upon YouTube videos of guys using software and external tool/gadget that allowed them to run these colour calibration tests for the preset pictures or something. I’d need to find them again to remember any more details. Just curious what everyone thought about it. I drive myself (and the wife) crazy trying to get a better picture.
Maybe have a look at post #650 on page 26 which is my settings.

I have turned colour up from 20 to 25 now.

General
Intelligent mode OFF
Input signal plus ON
Brightness optimisation OFF - I did have this set to ON but seems better as OFF

Picture
Movie mode
Brightness 30
Contrast 45
Sharpness 10
Colour 25
Blur 3
Judder 3
Led Clear Motion OFF
Noise Reduction OFF
Local Dimming STANDARD
Contrast Enhancer OFF
Film Mode AUTO
Colour Tone WARM2
Gamma 2.2
Shadow Detail -1

I haven't touched white balance or colour space settings.

Press power button down for a couple of seconds after changing settings until you hear a click.

I found colour ok at 20 for most programs but just trying it at 25 for a while. Sharpness perhaps reduce to zero but all of the other settings I would say is where they need to be. Perhaps shadow Detail try at -2.

Maybe have a look at post #650 on page 26 which is my settings.

I have turned colour up from 20 to 25 now.

General
Intelligent mode OFF
Input signal plus ON
Brightness optimisation OFF - I did have this set to ON but seems better as OFF

Picture
Movie mode
Brightness 30
Contrast 45
Sharpness 10
Colour 25
Blur 3
Judder 3
Led Clear Motion OFF
Noise Reduction OFF
Local Dimming STANDARD
Contrast Enhancer OFF
Film Mode AUTO
Colour Tone WARM2
Gamma 2.2
Shadow Detail -1

I haven't touched white balance or colour space settings.

Press power button down for a couple of seconds after changing settings until you hear a click.

I found colour ok at 20 for most programs but just trying it at 25 for a while. Sharpness perhaps reduce to zero but all of the other settings I would say is where they need to be. Perhaps shadow Detail try at -2.
I’ve attempted to use yours as a foundation and these are my current settings so far:

Brightness 25
Contrast 45
Sharpness 5
Colour 25
Picture clarity settings Off
Local dimming Low
Contrast Enhancer Off
Film mode is greyed out and Off on mine
Colour Tone Warm 2
White balance - I am testing out Rtings settings for the qn90
Gamma 2.2
Shadow detail 0
RGB Off
Colour Space settings custom again testing the ones on Rtings

I tried comparing the shots on the tv to my iPhone 12 seeing as the iPhone is supposed to have excellent colour quality and it’s fairly decent so far albeit to the naked eye. Time will tell of course

I’ve attempted to use yours as a foundation and these are my current settings so far:

Brightness 25
Contrast 45
Sharpness 5
Colour 25
Picture clarity settings Off
Local dimming Low
Contrast Enhancer Off
Film mode is greyed out and Off on mine
Colour Tone Warm 2
White balance - I am testing out Rtings settings for the qn90
Gamma 2.2
Shadow detail 0
RGB Off
Colour Space settings custom again testing the ones on Rtings

I tried comparing the shots on the tv to my iPhone 12 seeing as the iPhone is supposed to have excellent colour quality and it’s fairly decent so far albeit to the naked eye. Time will tell of course
What are your general settings. You need to make sure everything is off.

If you experience any judder you will need to set motion clarity to on and adjust to 3 or 4. That is what was advised by WhatHiFi.

If you experience any judder you will need to set motion clarity to on and adjust to 3 or 4. That is what was advised by WhatHiFi.
Yeah I have everything else off all the power saving options and what not are all switched off. I personally haven’t experienced any juddering. Also the wife hates all that category and I can’t be bothered switching it on and off for when I watch on my own. So I leave motion clarity off. I doubt she’s going to experience judder when all she watches is period dramas and coronation street :-/

Yeah I have everything else off all the power saving options and what not are all switched off. I personally haven’t experienced any juddering. Also the wife hates all that category and I can’t be bothered switching it on and off for when I watch on my own. So I leave motion clarity off. I doubt she’s going to experience judder when all she watches is period dramas and coronation street :-/
No judder is good. I think I have a bit of a conflict on mine with the sky HD box as it's fine on any content over the internet. I notice it more when watching TV shows, mainly game shows or things like room 101. It was particularly bad watching Miranda a few nights ago, yet the next night was perfect on the same channel watching the same programme. I will at some point rig an aerial up.

I agree you can't keep changing settings for different content but you can set different setting for different inputs which may help.

No judder is good. I think I have a bit of a conflict on mine with the sky HD box as it's fine on any content over the internet. I notice it more when watching TV shows, mainly game shows or things like room 101. It was particularly bad watching Miranda a few nights ago, yet the next night was perfect on the same channel watching the same programme. I will at some point rig an aerial up.

I agree you can't keep changing settings for different content but you can set different setting for different inputs which may help.
I would totally agree the sky q box is a pain in the butt. It’s never really happy with other devices overall it seems. I think most of the issues are down to sky and their never willingness to actually fix their products. Some channels can be fine and look pretty decent for sdr. Then you switch back to itv/STV and the sound seems to have dropped into a well. Turn it up and then it blasts your eardrums when you switch channels and forget to turn it down again. Back on topic, I think perhaps the broadcast might have a lot to do with pq and perhaps this is something we won’t ever be able to eradicate, unless they upgrade/update. Just my 2 cents in the end.

On a totally separate note…

I’m not sure what the technical name is for it so please bear with me. When your watching something on prime video and you click right to go and fast forward on the timeline/timescale like say to jump to a favourite scene in a movie.

How come it appears that the small preview image is of better picture quality than the full screen? And is there a way to get them to match up more closely. The wife seems to think the colours are better on the scene select preview box or whatever it’s called. She’s drove me nuts all day about it so please help me to explain it to her.

On a totally separate note…

I’m not sure what the technical name is for it so please bear with me. When your watching something on prime video and you click right to go and fast forward on the timeline/timescale like say to jump to a favourite scene in a movie.

How come it appears that the small preview image is of better picture quality than the full screen? And is there a way to get them to match up more closely. The wife seems to think the colours are better on the scene select preview box or whatever it’s called. She’s drove me nuts all day about it so please help me to explain it to her.
Probably because Prime streams are very poor quality. At least they are on my current LG OLED, and from what I've read, other platforms are the same. The preview image looks better most likely because it's a condensed image, so any video will look better on a small part of the screen, because it's scaled down. I find the micro blocking in particular a real issue with Prime streams. Micro blocking is most noticeable with dark scenes, just above peak black level.

Has anyone else had trouble with the courier? I booked my delivery for today almost a week ago. I didn't receive a text last night as I was supposed to, do I contacted Samsung this morning who were pretty much hopeless. Told me to "wait some time" and I'll get a text when the TV has been dispatched. I then pointed out that it is supposed to be delivered today, to which they replied they "guarantee it will be delivered". Within 30 minutes or so of this, I received a text from the courier - Panther, telling me it is going to be delivered on Thursday!

I eventually got through to the courier and they told me all their deliveries are delayed at present. Not even an apology. Ok fair enough, but why not tell me until nearly 11am the day of delivery?

I contacted Samsung via phone after this and as soon as I gave them the order number and explained the delay, they just told me the reason for the delay is because it got damaged in transit and they've sent a new one to the courier right away. I asked for this in writing. Someone isn't telling the truth here. What a mess.

Thank you! That is great to know and it has basically sealed the deal for me. I delved deeper after my OP and found the 55" QN90 for £824 which has everything the same as the 55" QN94 except the wideview angle vs ultraview angle. Thanks to your reply I've decided that one small detail isnt worth £100+ and I've just ordered the 55" QN90

Thanks for the advice. I'll also be 6' to 8' away so I think the 55 will be fine, any bigger would be too big for the room its going in and also the price rockets up once you hit 65".
Yeah its a shame that it comes out of the box in a bad way but at least it has the ability to change for the better. Thanks for editing your posts, I noticed it whilst going through the thread and it was one of the gamebreakers for me, the fact that you disliked it but a few tweaks made it work for you is a positive for the TV. I'll pop back here after owning the QN90 55" for a while and give my opinion of it
Qn94 is listed as ultra wide with 1 hdmi 2.1 and 3x hdmi 2 .0 .QN95 has 4-hdmi 2.1 and 1 connect box

My TV was delivered last Thursday (2 days late, but anyway). I have it all set up and I'm really happy with the panel. Pretty much no DSE whatsoever. I'm also really pleased with the performance of the TV and I don't have any issues with the perceived blooing. Sure, it's there if you look hard enough, but in most cases the heaps of extra brightness really shows with HDR content especially. I'm coming from a 65 inch LG OLED.

The only issue I have is that there is a very tiny crack at the very right ridge of the screen which is the size of a pencil tip roughly. It's right on the edge of the panel and of course, you can't see it unless you're right up at the set.

I spoke to Samsung about it and said that I would be happy to keep it, however if it developed into a crack then I would like the set replaced. They told me if it happens outside 21 days then it would be a warranty claim, therefore, not covered at all. So at the moment I've opted for a replacement. Now I'm concerned I might get a dud set and I'm in two minds whether to just keep it. It seems like it would be very unlikely to develtop into a crack but regardless, I'm not sure if it's worth the risk.

The other thing I was disappointed about is that the back of the set was covered in fingerprints and was a bit dirty however, the actual screen was perfect (other than the tiny crack) and still had the protective film on it. I'm guessing it just wasn't handled very well when it was being boxed up. It also came in a QN90 box for whatever reason, but it did have a few QN94A stickers stuck on it. I've seen a few people mention this before.

My TV was delivered last Thursday (2 days late, but anyway). I have it all set up and I'm really happy with the panel. Pretty much no DSE whatsoever. I'm also really pleased with the performance of the TV and I don't have any issues with the perceived blooing. Sure, it's there if you look hard enough, but in most cases the heaps of extra brightness really shows with HDR content especially. I'm coming from a 65 inch LG OLED.

The only issue I have is that there is a very tiny crack at the very right ridge of the screen which is the size of a pencil tip roughly. It's right on the edge of the panel and of course, you can't see it unless you're right up at the set.

I spoke to Samsung about it and said that I would be happy to keep it, however if it developed into a crack then I would like the set replaced. They told me if it happens outside 21 days then it would be a warranty claim, therefore, not covered at all. So at the moment I've opted for a replacement. Now I'm concerned I might get a dud set and I'm in two minds whether to just keep it. It seems like it would be very unlikely to develtop into a crack but regardless, I'm not sure if it's worth the risk.

The other thing I was disappointed about is that the back of the set was covered in fingerprints and was a bit dirty however, the actual screen was perfect (other than the tiny crack) and still had the protective film on it. I'm guessing it just wasn't handled very well when it was being boxed up. It also came in a QN90 box for whatever reason, but it did have a few QN94A stickers stuck on it. I've seen a few people mention this before.

I would 100% get a replacement. That’s not normal at all to have a crack. The dirt is maybe from it being a return perhaps? If you had issues with the screen quality on the second unit, you should be able to ask for a replacement again but I personally think it’s not that likely. Most of what we see on here are complaints and not positive reviews unless people ask for it.

As for the box, all QN94 models come with the box labelled as QN90, odd I know.

Definitely get a replacement. I assume you bought this direct from Samsung. They have been known to send out customer returns. There should be no finger prints whatsoever on the TV as whoever is packing it should be wearing protective gloves. Did it have a screen protector with the two white vertical plastic strips. There should been a white or yellow sticker on the screen protector about 50mm long which indicates who the panel is by.

If you are in the UK have you tried it on SD and HD content.

They are all shipped in a QN90 box.

The dirt is maybe from it being a return perhaps?
Yes it's certainly a real possibility, although it looks like the actual screen protector was never removed. I forgot to mention that the box also had some damage, unsurprisingly on the same side as the tiny crack. It's just an absolute pain to pack it all away again. Also the 2 plastic ties that you have to cut to access the box. What alternative is there to use when returning it? I can't secure the box without these. I doubt lots of tape would do the trick for such a heavy box!
Did it have a screen protector with the two white vertical plastic strips. There should been a white or yellow sticker on the screen protector about 50mm long which indicates who the panel is by.
Thanks. Yes it did. I didn't notice the yellow screen protector to be honest. I've thrown this part out since it would be impossible to re-attach to the display. I hope that won't cause any issues with the return.

Yes it's certainly a real possibility, although it looks like the actual screen protector was never removed. I forgot to mention that the box also had some damage, unsurprisingly on the same side as the tiny crack. It's just an absolute pain to pack it all away again. Also the 2 plastic ties that you have to cut to access the box. What alternative is there to use when returning it? I can't secure the box without these. I doubt lots of tape would do the trick for such a heavy box!

Thanks. Yes it did. I didn't notice the yellow screen protector to be honest. I've thrown this part out since it would be impossible to re-attach to the display. I hope that won't cause any issues with the return.
I returned my first QN94 as it had scratches on the back and the bezel was dented and chipped. I had actually broken the top and bottom polystyrene in half to go to the tip. I stuck them back together with no nails lol. I removed the two bandings without breaking them so I must have known it was going back. I had some shrink-wrap in the garage so re-boxed it, put it on my dining room table to do the shrink wrapping. If the polystyrene had given way the TV would drop out the bottom. No way would that happen with skrinkwrap. Gaffer tape or parcel tape will do the same job as the plastic banding which you cut off. Here is mine wrapped up.

The two white plastic strips I referred to are stuck to the screen protector on the edge of the panel. If yours didn't have those then it's not a new TV. Did you get via the EPP portal.
VideoCapture_20220516-222725.jpg

Last edited:
Gaffer tape or parcel tape will do the same job as the plastic banding which you cut off
Yeah I had to cut off the plastic banding obviously, but I still have it. I might glue it and use tape as well. It seems crazy to me that a TV of this size/expense comes in a box that would easily come apart but for the plastic banding!

The two white plastic strips I referred to are stuck to the screen protector on the edge of the panel. If yours didn't have those then it's not a new TV. Did you get via the EPP portal.
Yes, mine had these plastic strips on either side of the screen protector. That's what's puzzling. The back of the set was dirty with marks, but the actual screen was perfect. Looked like that protector was never peeled off. Yes I got it from the EPP portal.

Yeah I had to cut off the plastic banding obviously, but I still have it. I might glue it and use tape as well. It seems crazy to me that a TV of this size/expense comes in a box that would easily come apart but for the plastic banding!

Yes, mine had these plastic strips on either side of the screen protector. That's what's puzzling. The back of the set was dirty with marks, but the actual screen was perfect. Looked like that protector was never peeled off. Yes I got it from the EPP portal.
You have been sent a new TV. I have a theory that Samsung grade their TV's. It's not based on any facts and I asked Reliant who I purchased from if this was true as their deals on Samsung always seem to be better than anyone elses. They denied it of course but I am sure some TVs are knowingly packaged as having some fault and perhaps distributed through the smaller retailers and randomly discounted. The second TV they sent me was in perfect condition and their price hasn't dropped since mine was sent out. £1,399 is too much for this TV in my opinion. I didn't pay that but it was £1,899 less 10% less £200 less cashback when I bought mine, around £1,209 if I remember correctly.

I agree they rely a lot on those plastic bands but no doubt the banding will be rated to carry the weight. My strapping was split in a couple of places so wrapped some tape around it.

I have some of these which are great because you are not going to damage the cardboard box sending it back.

Amazon product ASIN B00189ROYM

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom