Samsung QN94A Neo QLED Owners and Discussion Thread

The HDMI 2.1 spec natively includes ARC, so it's possible that it could, but I wouldn't put it past Samsung to pull some bs and make it so it can't. You might have to opt for the QN95A it seems.
I would if the ends on the quick connect cable could fit in the ducting...

I would if the ends on the quick connect cable could fit in the ducting...
If the ducting is preventing you from pursuing both options, and it's not an option to do without it, then you will have to opt for another TV which offers all HDMI 2.1 inputs including eARC, that happens to not be an OLED.

If the ducting is preventing you from pursuing both options, and it's not an option to do without it, then you will have to opt for another TV which offers all HDMI 2.1 inputs including eARC, that happens to not be an OLED.
Thanks for replies...

Depends if the earc works on the 2.1 port (will try to ask Samsung if no-one sure), or ...
If the longer optical quick connect cable has a detachable end so it can be pulled through duct (I guess ditto/ask Samsung).

[Edit] One Invisible Connection for QLED | Samsung United Kingdom this is the cable -; width of the other end may just fit, but a bit of a gamble, especially at £249 for the cable...
[Edit] actually that cable apparently will not work and there seem to be some significant issues getting clarity or cables as the default one is 2.5m, and there only seems to be a 5m option this year. The longer one is only compatible with "the frame" model apparently. More supply chain/chip problems I guess

Option C is likely = wait till next year's tv

Thanks again,

Dan

Last edited:
Ive had an oled before and plenty of of lcd tvs. This new mini led tech really does set this apart from lcd. Now oleds have perfect blacks and this doesn't, but then oleds have crap brightness and this doesn't.

These new Samsung mini LEDs (the ones with a va panel) are in the same debate of oleds and what the best plasmas use to be as far as what is the pinicle of home tv picture. That's the best way to describe it. Set this up correctly and the level of brightness it can deliver, with almost oled like black levels is really quite astonishing.

If your coming from a plasma this thing is astonishing. If your coming from any lcd tv, this thing is astonishing, if your coming from an oled (and you've grown tired of the overly dim picture on anything other than a 50% or more black image) this thing again is really quite astonishing.

It can get really really bright, while being able to delivery really really deep blacks and such minimal blooming it's oled like but without that annoying overly dim picture.

Honestly this thing is the nuts (using my 65inch qn95a).
Can I ask what settings you have your tv on. I’m struggling to find the best settings to have the tv on
Thanks.

you wrote "it does not need to". In
And before that I wrote no and dot. To my understanding only one port (3) has earc.

But if you connect all your devices to AVR with HDMI and run long HDMI cable to TV 2.1 port(4), you don't have need for eARC. Only thing is TV cable tuner and app audio to AVR. You can run optical toslink cable to AVR for that.

And before that I wrote no and dot. To my understanding only one port (3) has earc.

But if you connect all your devices to AVR with HDMI and run long HDMI cable to TV 2.1 port(4), you don't have need for eARC. Only thing is TV cable tuner and app audio to AVR. You can run optical toslink cable to AVR for that.
Thanks, I saw you wrote that but was hoping it might still be a possibility via firmware as earc should be part of the 2.1 spec, and that someone had tested and found working. Unfortunately optical toslink cable will not do Atmos (only 5.1), which I have/use, and we use apps (Netflix, Amazon, Disney) on the TV a lot. Then there is the length 2.1 has a max length of about 5-7m, hence getting an expensive optical hdmi (Rui pro) that fixed the cutouts (black screen/audio) on the long copper one. Also there were some reports of av amp of interference when connecting output and inputs which can create a loop (ASR)- unsure of this, but not keen to test ;-)

Thanks for the feedback, but I think LG/oled (not really bright enough, and too reflective), or wait till next year's models is likely the answer unless a new 10m/compatible 2021 connect cable is made available (and fits).

Thanks, I saw you wrote that but was hoping it might still be a possibility via firmware as earc should be part of the 2.1 spec, and that someone had tested and found working. Unfortunately optical toslink cable will not do Atmos (only 5.1), which I have/use, and we use apps (Netflix, Amazon, Disney) on the TV a lot. Then there is the length 2.1 has a max length of about 5-7m, hence getting an expensive optical hdmi (Rui pro) that fixed the cutouts (black screen/audio) on the long copper one. Also there were some reports of av amp of interference when connecting output and inputs which can create a loop (ASR)- unsure of this, but not keen to test ;-)

Thanks for the feedback, but I think LG/oled (not really bright enough, and too reflective), or wait till next year's models is likely the answer unless a new 10m/compatible 2021 connect cable is made available (and fits).
Look for new TCL models. They have their 2.1 stuff working well and miniled as well. 75" x925 is 8k model(for about 3500€) and they have very expensive flagship coming also in 85"(maybe 9000€). But January is not far when new models might be announced. Also Philips miniled 75" and 65" have eARC in 2.1 port. No reviews yet but great specs.

Can I ask what settings you have your tv on. I’m struggling to find the best settings to have the tv on
Thanks.
Hi yes no problem.

For SDR content I run movie mode, 40 brightness, warm 1, dimming set to standard (setting this to high causes alot of blooming in sdr), gamma BT1886 slider and shadow slider set to 0, blur reduction 2, judder reduction 2, noise reduction off, contrast enhancer off.

For HDR content I run movie mode, max brightness, warm 1, dimming set to high, gamma ST2084 slider and shadow slider both set to 1 to avoid some black crush, blur reduction 2, judder reduction 2, noose reduction off, contrast enhancer off.

Now some people prefer a really dim image for some reason but I prefer to actually see what I'm watching, but if you find the images too bright just adjust the brightness slider to best suite your taste, but in my opinion these are the best settings.

Where do I find the judder reduction?

Hi yes no problem.

For SDR content I run movie mode, 40 brightness, warm 1, dimming set to standard (setting this to high causes alot of blooming in sdr), gamma BT1886 slider and shadow slider set to 0, blur reduction 2, judder reduction 2, noise reduction off, contrast enhancer off.

For HDR content I run movie mode, max brightness, warm 1, dimming set to high, gamma ST2084 slider and shadow slider both set to 1 to avoid some black crush, blur reduction 2, judder reduction 2, noose reduction off, contrast enhancer off.

Now some people prefer a really dim image for some reason but I prefer to actually see what I'm watching, but if you find the images too bright just adjust the brightness slider to best suite your taste, but in my opinion these are the best settings.
Many thanks

Seriously considering this TV but I see people are having issues with Audio Sync etc. Are these issues being resolved?

I would mainly be using the TV for watching Football & Playing on my Series X. I am bit afraid to go OLED because of potential burn in. So Neo QLED seems the next best thing.

Ive had an oled before and plenty of of lcd tvs. This new mini led tech really does set this apart from lcd. Now oleds have perfect blacks and this doesn't, but then oleds have crap brightness and this doesn't.

These new Samsung mini LEDs (the ones with a va panel) are in the same debate of oleds and what the best plasmas use to be as far as what is the pinicle of home tv picture. That's the best way to describe it. Set this up correctly and the level of brightness it can deliver, with almost oled like black levels is really quite astonishing.

If your coming from a plasma this thing is astonishing. If your coming from any lcd tv, this thing is astonishing, if your coming from an oled (and you've grown tired of the overly dim picture on anything other than a 50% or more black image) this thing again is really quite astonishing.

It can get really really bright, while being able to delivery really really deep blacks and such minimal blooming it's oled like but without that annoying overly dim picture.

Honestly this thing is the nuts (using my 65inch qn95a).
"but then oleds have crap brightness and this doesn't."

Sheesh, the amount of hyperbolic nonsense in some of these threads...

Unless you're a mole, what you've said there above is utterly misleading horseshit.

For watching football you’ll have to get a perfect panel otherwise the dse will get too distracting

My qn94 50 inch arrived like this out of the box from Currys today.

That blob isn't a flash reflection, it's the backlight... I am on the phone to Samsung to organise repair/replace. The whiter and more plain the image, the brighter this blodge. No idea what's causing it but it's mega distracting. I hope they'll accept a replace or repair for it without leaving us TV less.

Apart from this, I love the TV.

Attachments

• PXL_20210914_204155700.jpg
    PXL_20210914_204155700.jpg
    290.5 KB · Views: 146
  • PXL_20210914_180748607.jpg
    PXL_20210914_180748607.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 160
For watching football you’ll have to get a perfect panel otherwise the dse will get too distracting
Yes as with any LCD and Hockey also.
My qn94 50 inch arrived like this out of the box from Currys today.

That blob isn't a flash reflection, it's the backlight... I am on the phone to Samsung to organise repair/replace. The whiter and more plain the image, the brighter this blodge. No idea what's causing it but it's mega distracting. I hope they'll accept a replace or repair for it without leaving us TV less.

Apart from this, I love the TV.
Backlight led is stuck. Replacement needed

Unless you're a mole, what you've said there above is utterly misleading horsesh*t.
Except it isn't.

For me the other way that these outperform OLEDs is ironically in dark scenes with near black shadow detail, eg the scene in the last Harry Potter film where they are storming Hogwarts.
I had an LG and QLED side by side to compare and could see far more detail with the Samsung.

I've just arranged the return of my QN94A, spent ages on the settings just couldn't agree with the picture. The blacks were incredible but some how the 4K films didn't look as good as the OLED no matter what I did, looked 10-15% washed off. There is a cinematic feel/tone you just don't get with LCDs.

I've gone back to the OLED now. Samsung also need to overhaul the bloody OS, it's been the same design for the past 6+ years and for a premium TV it feels laggy navigating around.

I've been tempted with the 50 qn94a as a replacement for my 50 gt50 plasma. Especially as I have a 15% discount code which would put it under £900. Its between this and a sony a8 oled. My concerns with this 50 qn94a is it only has wide viewing angle compared to ultra wide on 55 inch, I've read somewhere else there is a few other things lacking in the 50 inch model too. That with lip sync issues I've read is definitely putting me off. Also how many less dimming zones are there on 50 compared to 55???

I've been tempted with the 50 qn94a as a replacement for my 50 gt50 plasma. Especially as I have a 15% discount code which would put it under £900. Its between this and a sony a8 oled. My concerns with this 50 qn94a is it only has wide viewing angle compared to ultra wide on 55 inch, I've read somewhere else there is a few other things lacking in the 50 inch model too. That with lip sync issues I've read is definitely putting me off. Also how many less dimming zones are there on 50 compared to 55???
Never buy under 55" Samsungs. They always crap out on features. Also get 65" at least now that you upgrade.

1805.4 firmware update available in Finland now. Installing (85" qn90A)

Game motion plus judder reduction still broken.

Last edited:
1805.4 firmware update available in Finland now. Installing (85" qn90A)

Game motion plus judder reduction still broken.
what was previous version? 1708?

Unless you're a mole, what you've said there above is utterly misleading horsesh*t.
Full field sustained brightness on a white image for the most expensive oled from LG this year is around 170 nits. In a bright daytime scene in a movie or program any oled is going to look dim. It is extremely noticable how dim it gets and is really jarring when it switches from a daytime scene to a darker scene and then all of a sudden the image brightens up again, then back to a daytime scene and the tv brightness drops again. It's a problem with oled that isn't talked about enough in my opinion and not something I knew about until I brought my oled.

For me, the huge switch in tv luminance output between daytime and darker night time scenes was waaaaaay more jarring and off putting than blooming even on my edge lit lcd at the time.

So it's not horseshit pal. For me, my qn95a strikes an amazing balance between being able to deliver excellent blacks with very little blooming while at the same time being able to get really bright. It's that balance in both of these areas that really is just quite something when viewing this tv.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom