Samsung QN900 (QE75QN900A) Neo QLED 8K TV Review & Comments

BlackSpider777

thanks for this explanation as I had observed this myself and did not know the reason why.

I compared playing 4K HDR Top Gun on the QN900A (8K) vs the QN90A (4K).

I observed the QN90A first. Then on then viewing the 8K TV , I was immediately struck by the letterbox black bars not being as black and as good as they are on QN90A, almost like it was a IPS panel.

it was for this reason that I ruled out the QN900A , even though I much preferred the design and virtual zero bezel of this flagship TV.
The Euro version of the Qn90a has IPS panel so i m guessing you saw the VA version of the QN90a which is for the US market?

Thanks.

westham

Apart from the notable, and annoying, lack of Dolby Vision this is looking like the next TV purchase for me. Has anyone wall mounted the set using Philips Hue Gradient strips yet? Think the Samsung wall mounts don’t leave enough space for this so may need a different mount perhaps.

tausifs

The Euro version of the Qn90a has IPS panel so i m guessing you saw the VA version of the QN90a which is for the US market?

Thanks.
hi BlackSpider777, sorry for the late reply.

as you and others say , the Euro version of 65” QN90A 4K is stated to have an IPS panel.

I bought mine in the UAE so is GCC spec. It is 240v and comes with the same plug as in the UK.

i’m convinced mine is a VA panel but I might be wrong, I won’t be devastated if it turns out it is IPS.

But anyway in the UK , the 65 inch QN85A and QN90A both use IPS panels it would seem ?

Last edited:

mark6226

I must admit to being very interested in 65 inch version until I saw this nasty liitle line on Samsungs site
"‘8K AI Upscaling’ may not apply to PC connection and Game Mode"

I game almost exclusively on pc and have the hardware to run at 8k. I also use my TV as a pc monitor.
My last foray into Samsung top of the range tv was a disaster. Two years ago or less I got their 5 star rated oled beating tv. Gaming performance was dire via pc connection. In just about every other area, let's just say that the ecstatic reviews were very imaginative to say the least.

Therefore, one bitten applies and the quoted line about 8k pc performance and game mode have left me concerned.
Game mode on my last Samsung was terrible with a morass of greyed out calibration options that meant I couldn't actually calibrate the set with total freedom.

This TV was almost ready to be bought by myself but not now.

I will wait and see.

BlackSpider777

How does the Qn800a compare to the Qn900a?
@Steve any chance of reviewing the Qn800a?

Thanks.

OC2000

The fact this 85” tv is so much more in the UK than it is in the US totally rules it out. It’s like 50% cheaper in the US! Z9J all the way here

Last edited:

ragnarlb

Novice Member
Here in the US our Black Friday sales just hit.

85 inch QN900 = $5,499 (down from $8,500)
85 inch QN800 = $4,199 (down from $5,800)

Is the QN900 worth the extra $1,300? I see that Raitziger said, "Total Crap" but I was hoping for a little more detail. :)

Raitziger

Is the QN900 worth the extra $1,300?
Yes. QN800 is crap. Avoid. Not seen a positive experience with that.

ragnarlb

Novice Member
Yes. QN800 is crap. Avoid. Not seen a positive experience with that.

So the QN900 is the way to go? I was looking at LG OLED but everything I own is in the Samsung family (phones, TVs, Tablets) and I just wanted to stay with Samsung.

Raitziger

Oled is better PQ if you have curtains to control light. I have 85 qn90a Samsung and I like it. OLED in this size was too much for my wallet.

westham

Is the QN900 worth the extra $1,300? I see that Raitziger said, "Total Crap" but I was hoping for a little more detail. :)
That’s a huge drop - wonder if we will get anything like it for the UK. Here’s hoping… Anyone remember last year’s Black Friday reductions?

Last edited:

ragnarlb

Novice Member
Well I pulled the trigger. Got the 85" QN900a along with a Denon X4700H!

When I get it in a few weeks and have it running I'll come back to post a review!

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom