Samsung QN900 (QE75QN900A) Neo QLED 8K TV Review & Comments

Sir QD oled

Biggest issue with Samsung premium tv's in general are overpricing and next year you get the same with 40 to 60 % off it's starting price. Which feels like a major kick in the butt for early adopters. :thumbsdow:thumbsdow The refusal of adopting DV and Dolby Atmos is another childish decision of a management that thinks to get away with everything.:thumbsdow:thumbsdow

Biggest issue with Samsung premium tv's in general are overpricing and next year you get the same with 40 to 60 % off it's starting price. Which feels like a major kick in the butt for early adopters. :thumbsdow:thumbsdow The refusal of adopting DV and Dolby Atmos is another childish decision of a management that thinks to get away with everything.:thumbsdow:thumbsdow
When you say you can get the same next year, do you mean this year? And with the 4K models of Samsung you get the same performance as the 8K model? Just a little confused by what you meant in your post. Thanks.

Sir QD oled

When you say you can get the same next year, do you mean this year? And with the 4K models of Samsung you get the same performance as the 8K model? Just a little confused by what you meant in your post. Thanks.
For premium 4K or 8K yes general after black Friday prices start to roll off rapidly;)
When you say you can get the same next year, do you mean this year? And with the 4K models of Samsung you get the same performance as the 8K model? Just a little confused by what you meant in your post. Than

raduv1

Distinguished Member
I just can not work out Samsungs reluctance to incorporate DV and Atmos into what is a premium display and price pount to match. All the major streaming platforms are using DV/Atmos plus a higher percentage of UHD discs so it must cost them on sales in the premium bracket.

davidcrofter

Sounds like the upscaling is the biggest selling point for this right now. Be nice if they brought that sort of upscaling tech to their 4K line and then folks might have been a lot happier to pay the premium price.

The lack of dolby vision doesn't bother me one bit as it's pretty much just a box-ticking exercise and has been from the start.

Zarf2007

The lack of dolby vision doesn't bother me one bit as it's pretty much just a box-ticking exercise and has been from the start.
Really? DV is only THE most important of the HDR formats for picture quality so without it Samsung is DOA.

zubeir

Sounds like the upscaling is the biggest selling point for this right now. Be nice if they brought that sort of upscaling tech to their 4K line and then folks might have been a lot happier to pay the premium price.

Dolby Vision is not just a tick box exercise, the comparisons have shown the benefits over HDR10. Search for the reports and video content from reputable Websites and pro calibrators to verify this. HDR10+ was a non starter from Samsung, and even Panasonic who is part of the Alliance group started to offer DV soon after(doesn't give much confidence). Although it is gaining some momentum, and with Amazon who seem to like HDR10+ have recently purchased MGM.
Much as I don't like Apple products, at least they have the sense to implement Dolby Vision on Apple TV amongst other products and now with Dolby Atmos audio from ITunes. Providing the best experience for the enthusiasts unlike Samsung.

Last edited:

lgans316

Distinguished Member
Most content are mastered around 1000 nits which means this TV can easily tone map without relying on dynamic metadata up to 1000 nits (at least on paper) but lack of DV and Atmos in this day and age is puzzling.

Dolby Vision is not just a tick box exercise, the comparisons have shown the benefits over HDR10. Search for the reports and video content from reputable Websites and pro calibrators to verify this. HDR10+ was a non starter from Samsung, and even Panasonic who is part of the Alliance group started to offer DV soon after(doesn't give much confidence). Although it is gaining some momentum, and with Amazon who seem to like HDR10+ have recently purchased MGM.
Much as I don't like Apple products, at least they have the sense to implement Dolby Vision on Apple TV amongst other products and now with Dolby Atmos audio from ITunes. Providing the best experience for the enthusiasts unlike Samsung.
I had one of the the first TVs in the LG 65e6v OLED with Dolby Vision on and to be honest it was poor compared to HDR on my discs that I had, but having seen my dad’s LG 65C9 up close I can now see the benefits of it especially with Apple TV and the Star Wars 4K Blu-rays in Dolby Vision. Lord of the Rings on Apple TV in Dolby Vision is another great example.

Last edited:

davidcrofter

Really? DV is only THE most important of the HDR formats for picture quality so without it Samsung is DOA.

Who says it's the most important? You will still get HDR with our without Dolby Vision, if you think you can see the difference between both formats then crack on ...

zubeir

Most content are mastered around 1000 nits which means this TV can easily tone map without relying on dynamic metadata up to 1000 nits (at least on paper) but lack of DV and Atmos in this day and age is puzzling.
Also, Dolby Vision has 12bit mastering unlike HDR10+. Yes, we don't have 12bit TV's, but the DV colour output and smoothing looks better on a 10bit panel than HDR10+. See video from Vincent Teoh explaining this.

Paul7777x

So... an instant £300 plus bill spent on a pro calibrator to fix the crap picture... on an 8 grand telly?

Simply no. Wouldn’t give it the time of day.

Panasonic and LG generally get the out of box picture near perfect, there’s no excuse at all for that picture quality in even a cheap tv.

Zarf2007

Who says it's the most important? You will still get HDR with our without Dolby Vision, if you think you can see the difference between both formats then crack on ...

I think you need to watch some DV content and you would see the difference..I think other people can also clearly see it otherwise studios wouldn't release content which had it!!!...tbh I was like you until i got my LG OLED......."Where once i was blind, now I can see...."

ozzzy189

Distinguished Member
So... an instant £300 plus bill spent on a pro calibrator to fix the crap picture... on an 8 grand telly?

Panasonic and LG generally get the out of box picture near perfect, there’s no excuse at all for that picture quality in even a cheap tv.
Hell, pioneer nailed it on the KRP plasmas and how long ago was that?
Very poor imo and the lack of DV once again is ridiculous.

raduv1

Distinguished Member
Am I correct in thinking that this display will not pass Dolby Atmos via E Arc for onboard apps to your enabled surround system ?

Sir QD oled

Am I correct in thinking that this display will not pass Dolby Atmos via Earc onboard apps ?
Lossless no , DD+ packaged as Atmos (compressed) yes

gadget man

I think you need to watch some DV content and you would see the difference..I think other people can also clearly see it otherwise studios wouldn't release content which had it!!!...tbh I was like you until i got my LG OLED......."Where once i was blind, now I can see...."

Yea like total recall no banding/pixelated in Dolby Vision compared to standard HDR.

raduv1

Distinguished Member
Lossless no , DD+ packaged as Atmos (compressed) yes
So D+ , Netflix and others that support Atmos are basically pushed down to 5.1 on this display ?

Sir QD oled

So D+ , Netflix and others that support Atmos are basically pushed down to 5.1 on this display ?
It's compressed Dolby Atmos with mixed height channels in it . Bit rate on lossless are much higher so get much more impact and detail.

Zag

I bought my 75Q900R for £2699. These starting prices are insane. Plus without DV support I wouldn't buy a Samsung TV again. Also with my 1st gen 8K TV I've still yet to see native 8k on it. Youtube 8K does not work on the Q900R and you can guarantee, this TV won't be future proofed for long. Although in fairness, that is true of all TVs. Samsung software support though for its products does seem particularly poor. E-arc another feature that never made it to the Gen 1 Samsung 8k TVs.

raduv1

Distinguished Member

Yup I'm quite surprised it got a score of 8 considering its price, OOTB PQ and lack of DV support for what is a premium display .

But the review does state that one can get a lot more from other displays for much less of an outlay.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Cleer Audio speaker + HiFi Rose Streamer Reviews & Movie/TV Show talk
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

iFi Audio launches the Zen Stream Wi-Fi audio transport
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Ruark R1 Mk4 radio gets summer makeover
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 23rd June 2021
  • By Phil Hinton