Samsung QN800A Neo QLED 8k TV Discussion Thread

z5461313

Can’t see many reviews for this model I’m looking at the 65 inch version it’s £3500 at moment wondered on peoples opinions is it best Neo QLED to buy without buying the top of the range QN900A?

fauzyyy

Novice Member
Can’t see many reviews for this model I’m looking at the 65 inch version it’s £3500 at moment wondered on peoples opinions is it best Neo QLED to buy without buying the top of the range QN900A?
Erm because Samsung is quite expensive maybe you can get a product with a different brand with more features for that price

safcsat

Funny you should post this, I have just recently bought one of these!

I've been an OLED guy for a while now, recently sold my GX and bought the new G1. WebOS 6 has ruined it for me, it was way too sluggish, wasn't happy with that. So I sent it back and ended up buying this! I was going to go for the QN900A, but the price was ridiculous, even with the discounts/cashback etc!

In all honestly....I love this TV! It is nice and snappy, it's got a ton more features (most I probably will not use....granted!) and most importantly for me, it's fantastic in a bright room.

I probably have not scratched the surface of the set yet, but initial impressions after a week...finally there is a Samsung that I actually like.

FYI, if you purchase this there's a few options to get the price right down:

1) Currys offer 10% off currently
2) You can get £300 cash back from Samsung via redemption
3) You can potentially get 10% cashback via toipcashback as well

That brings the price right down (also it was what tempted me with the QN900A...but still couldn't;t justify the extra outlay.

safcsat

Update: TV returned!

In all honesty I would have kept the TV, but the retailer were playing up with refunding for the faulty LG G1, so the only way to resolve it was to return this and buy another G1....could not make it up!!!

In all honesty, I am kinda glad. The Samsung was a lot better than previous years, the OS was nice and slick and the image was fantastic* in a bright room.

BUT...the image was fantastic in a bright room comes with a caveat...it was a very "fake" image. That's as best as I can describe it. Game mode was quite buggy as well, kept losing signal on Xbox Series X and PS5 - quite annoying, but probably would be fixed with a firmware update..

Should the retailer not have been awkward with how they processed a refund/exchange then I would probably have kept the Samsung but, as I say, kinda glad at what's happened as altho the G1 is still sluggish on the OS (WebOS 6 I guess!) the OLED image is just so much better!

BlackSpider777

Saw this Tv & was blown away, any owners of the QN800a over here?
If so how is the Xbox series x contacted to this tv?

Thanks.

BlackSpider777

BUT...the image was fantastic in a bright room comes with a caveat...it was a very "fake" image. That's as best as I can describe it. Game mode was quite buggy as well, kept losing signal on Xbox Series X and PS5 - quite annoying, but probably would be fixed with a firmware update..
What issues you were having with the xbox series x & the QN800A? i got an older LG B6 Oled & from what i saw, the QN800a blows it away in both Dark & Bright scenes.

BlackSpider777

So no owners of the Qn800a over here?

safcsat

What issues you were having with the xbox series x & the QN800A? i got an older LG B6 Oled & from what i saw, the QN800a blows it away in both Dark & Bright scenes.

HDMI handshake issues I guess, signal kept dropping when it switched into game mode. Remember tho you are comparing a top end 2021 Samsung set there to an entry level 2016 OLED.

Compared to recent LG OLED's, they blow the Samsung away still in all but super bright room viewing. I was almost swayed....but luckily saw sense and reverted back!

BlackSpider777

HDMI handshake issues I guess, signal kept dropping when it switched into game mode. Remember tho you are comparing a top end 2021 Samsung set there to an entry level 2016 OLED.

Compared to recent LG OLED's, they blow the Samsung away still in all but super bright room viewing. I was almost swayed....but luckily saw sense and reverted back!
I m done with LG Oleds, they stop supporting their models after 2 years with as good as no firmware updates & also fed up of nursing them for zero burn in.
Will either get the Sony Z9 or Samsung Qn800/900a, thanks for your inputs.

BlackSpider777

So there are no Qn800a owners here?

mark6226

I am seriously interested in this TV but I am concerned about gaming mode. I game on PC and don't want to use game mode as it degrades the PQ by dimming the brightness levels.
Can you game on Pc without gaming mode?My last qled went back as it was impossible to turn off game mode. Consequently, PQ was not good. I can't find an answer to the this question anywhere.

Thanks

BlackSpider777

Hi,
I have had one for about 5/6 weeks now, hooked up to a 950a soundbar and Xbox series x.

Great tv - everything working well apart from the odd sound/picture dropout, but I’m not sure if that is the TV or the sky q box 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
Any Audio/Video Drop outs with the Xbox Series X & the Qn800a?

Thanks.

Taggart

Standard Member
Hi what picture settings did you use for your set
Hi,
I followed these to the letter and was really pleased with them. Would appreciated your view on them if you use them ?

Hope this helps :)

pamrit

Standard Member
Hi,
I followed these to the letter and was really pleased with them. Would appreciated your view on them if you use them ?

Hope this helps :)

Thanks. I used the same including the white balance and colorspace calibration settings and really pleased with picture quality.

daryld1988

anyone any impressions on this tv so far i currently have the 75 samsung q90r 4k but im seeing a real nice discount on the 85 8k version of this using the student portal

and would be nice to upgrade to the bigger size and 8k but would like to know if anyone has had any issues or anything good to say about it beforehand,

real world reviews of this tv dnt seem to be in any kind of quantity thanks

Taggart

Standard Member
If you have some spare change, pair it with the Q950a soundbar - they are both awesome together, watching HDR content with Atmos is a treat 👍👍

daryld1988

If you have some spare change, pair it with the Q950a soundbar - they are both awesome together, watching HDR content with Atmos is a treat 👍👍
i currently have the sonos arc, 2 one sls rear speakers and the sonos sub all latest gen so i dont plan on changing soundbar for a bit yet lol but my friend purchased that soundbar you mentioned and i have heard only good things about it think it has some technology that it can be used along with the tv speakers if i heard correct

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Audioengine launches compact S6 powered subwoofer
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Sky and NOW UK for February 2022
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Piega launches Ace Wireless speakers
  • By Andy Bassett