Samsung QLED TVs Q950R, Q90R, Q85R and more in March (Prices added)

They've shot down the Brexit conspiracy theory!

No mention of the QE98Q950 price? It's £99,999.00 btw!

Not sure how significant the absence of Dolby Vision is, it feels similar to the HD DVD v Blu Ray battle. Happy to pay top dollar for a top TV but DV seems to be getting more traction from what little I can tell and I would not want to be missing out having paid big bucks!

Not sure how significant the absence of Dolby Vision is, it feels similar to the HD DVD v Blu Ray battle. Happy to pay top dollar for a top TV but DV seems to be getting more traction from what little I can tell and I would not want to be missing out having paid big bucks!

It’s not the same at all. DV is added to standard hdr10, as is HDR10+. So If something comes with DV it will play on all TVs regardless of format support.

I'm hoping my next tv will be the 75" Q950R but that means at current prices it will take all my savings and i'll be left penniless :( here's hoping for a big price reduction come black friday.

I think DV is much better than HDR10+ tbh. Anecdotal evidence - I know, but I had a 75" Q9FN for the last two weeks, and decided to return it on Monday to get the 77" LG C8 - the same shows on the C8 just looks so much better in DV than it does in HDR through Netflix. Obviously this is also a bit due to the OLED vs LCD difference, even with the differential in brightness between the Q9FN and the C8 (which I thought would make the difference smaller)...

Also, interestingly - LG's upscaling on the C8 is much better than the Q9FN - just seeing the same shows on Freesat on similarly-sized TVs, I think the C8 looks much better... and lastly - the Q9FN has major colour gradation issues (surprised this is not mentioned more often, i.e where you see colour ripples when going from dark to light) - the gradation on the Q9FN looks much like my previous LG B7 did - the C8 is much, much improved on this front as well...

But I do miss the brightness of the Q9FN, and actually the blacks were not too bad... Oh, well - no perfect TV exists, each has its own good / bad points I guess... I returned the Q9FN due to it's crappy wobbly stand, bad HDR10+ (vs DV) and significant colour gradation issues - the blacks were actually fine to me and I didn't have bad DSE at all.... Perhaps I just got too used to OLED after having the B7 for the last 18 months...

Way to expensive for a LCD TV, with no Dolby Vision you can get a 75 inch Sony for that money.

Sony’s implementation of DV is poor to say the least. Even on their flagship AF9 oled it was described as too dark.

Did anybody who signed up to Samsung receive an email from them re the TVs?

I think DV is much better than HDR10+ tbh. Anecdotal evidence - I know, but I had a 75" Q9FN for the last two weeks, and decided to return it on Monday to get the 77" LG C8 - the same shows on the C8 just looks so much better in DV than it does in HDR through Netflix. Obviously this is also a bit due to the OLED vs LCD difference, even with the differential in brightness between the Q9FN and the C8 (which I thought would make the difference smaller)...

Also, interestingly - LG's upscaling on the C8 is much better than the Q9FN - just seeing the same shows on Freesat on similarly-sized TVs, I think the C8 looks much better... and lastly - the Q9FN has major colour gradation issues (surprised this is not mentioned more often, i.e where you see colour ripples when going from dark to light) - the gradation on the Q9FN looks much like my previous LG B7 did - the C8 is much, much improved on this front as well...

But I do miss the brightness of the Q9FN, and actually the blacks were not too bad... Oh, well - no perfect TV exists, each has its own good / bad points I guess... I returned the Q9FN due to it's crappy wobbly stand, bad HDR10+ (vs DV) and significant colour gradation issues - the blacks were actually fine to me and I didn't have bad DSE at all.... Perhaps I just got too used to OLED after having the B7 for the last 18 months...
Really interesting post, esp as I am musing between these 2 sets and now Panasonic have decided they will do one with both, but with loads of audio bells and whistles when I am looking at a separate surround sound system which would render this redundant!

Really interesting post, esp as I am musing between these 2 sets and now Panasonic have decided they will do one with both, but with loads of audio bells and whistles when I am looking at a separate surround sound system which would render this redundant!

All Panasonic oleds will have both. Some of their lcd sets will too, but they’re likely to be quite poor.

Thank you. May I ask if the colour graduation on the C8 is much better than both your previous B7 and the Q9FN or just the Q9FN. I currently have the C7 and can’t stand the colour graduation, was never an issue on my previous Sony ZD9. I will upgrade to C8 if it is much better for graduation.

Thank you. May I ask if the colour graduation on the C8 is much better than both your previous B7 and the Q9FN or just the Q9FN. I currently have the C7 and can’t stand the colour graduation, was never an issue on my previous Sony ZD9. I will upgrade to C8 if it is much better for graduation.

Yip - the C8 is way better with colour gradation. It really bothered me on my B7 and on the Q9FN. I think the Q9 is the worst of the 3 (only slightly worse than the B7 though). B7 and C7 is the same. But the C8 is noticeably better than either the B7 or Q9 - to the extent that I don’t notice gradation anymore in the C8.

C8 has a lot of macroblock noise and gradation problems in dark areas

Early adopters TAX as usual. Saving for OLED. I will also be waiting for Black Friday too.
Just wouldn't buy TV without Dolby Vision. I am a dark room movie watcher. So good 4 me.
The TOP end Panasonic GZ2000 better way than those top end Samsungs.

Early adopters TAX as usual. Saving for OLED. I will also be waiting for Black Friday too.
Just wouldn't buy TV without Dolby Vision. I am a dark room movie watcher. So good 4 me.
The TOP end Panasonic GZ2000 better way than those top end Samsungs.

Hilarious stuff. What is this last statement based on?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom