Samsung QLED, do I go Bigger or Better?

BigTimMN

Novice Member
Reaction score
I am torn on what to do, I have a 7 Year old 65" Panasonic Plasma that is begining to show some minor issues and I am ready to hand it off to my son for Teenboy Cave.

I have had my last 2 TVs for 7 years, and plan on that again with this one. I generally am watching Xfinity Cable, but do use OTA for broadcast sports when I can for better signals. We also use Netflix, Hulu and Amazon, so am going to be using 4k whenever I can from those options.

I also am a gamer with a PS4 and xbox one S, so will use the xbox for 4k Blurays on the rare occasion i want to and can use it, plus am undecided at the moment if I will upgrade one of the systems to the 4k models, or wait until the next gen of systems.

I am looking at replacing it with the Samsung QLED and I have got it down to 2 tvs that hit my pricepoint...

Bigger Vs Better
75" series 6 QN75Q6FN or the 65" Series 8 QN65Q8FN

Pros/Cons or any other advice you can give to help me with this choice.

Thanks in advance!

I believe from 8 feet is still good a 65" TV like the 65Q8FN. :)

The 65" Q8FN (USA model) is probably a better bet since you still watch quite a lot of HD. It also has HDR.

The 75" Q6FN by comparison at 8ft away may look quite a bit soft with HD due to upscaling on a larger screen, it also does not have good HDR, something that often comes side by side with UHD.

The only thing the larger TV has over the smaller higher end one will be more immersion and more detail from a good quality UHD source. The smaller Q8FN will mean the difference between UHD and HD will be less apparent...in terms of resolution and detail in the picture anyway.

Others to consider would be the XF90 from Sony or LG B8 OLED, coming from Plasma you might be disappointed with a QLED panel.

I'd recommend as always to go visit a store, maybe one dedicated to A/V and see for yourself how they compare but a shop environment isn't the place as all the sets are on Dynamic or Vivid mode making them too bright to judge.

Rtings.com or AVSFORUM.com is a great place to visit as you are in the U.S, they would have more info about the best place to go to.

Why would you consider the XF90 over the better Q8??

Why would you consider the XF90 over the better Q8??
Probably because he didn't see the OP was from the USA. Either way though, the Sony XF9005 in the USA is probably priced better bang for buck than the Q8FN..even if the Q8FN has the edge.

Probably because he didn't see the OP was from the USA. Either way though, the Sony XF9005 in the USA is probably priced better bang for buck than the Q8FN..even if the Q8FN has the edge.

I did see the OP was from the U.S, and you've hit the nail right on the head there, the XF90 is better bang for buck than the Q8FN, and I think the B8 is as well, and would do what the OP needs with his current content just fine, ultimately it's their prerogative what they decide at the end of the day though.

Seen some crazy deals since I moved to the USA on TVs, the X900F (XF9005 in EU) has been one of them.

Seen some crazy deals since I moved to the USA on TVs, the X900F (XF9005 in EU) has been one of them.

Have you just moved over there then if you don't mind me asking?

It also makes sense for the forums due to the time differences having someone over in the U.S.

Have you just moved over there then if you don't mind me asking?

It also makes sense for the forums due to the time differences having someone over in the U.S.
Yep that is right I am now an expat living in the USA! The land of better TVs...unless you want a Panasonic that is haha

Yep that is right I am now an expat living in the USA! The land of better TVs...unless you want a Panasonic that is haha

You are one lucky dude, love the U.S and Canada, most of the friends I've made on XBOX LIVE are from over the pond.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom