Samsung QLED 4K 55Q64A vs PHILIPS The One 58PUS8545/12 ( or other 55-60'' TV recommendations)

user444

Novice Member
Hi everyone,

I am willing to buy a TV around 55-60'' (mostly for watching sports and Netflix movies). I have found these two TV's at around the same price (600e): Samsung QE55Q60A - 55 inch - 4K QLED - 2021 and PHILIPS The One 58PUS8545/12 .
My first concern is about the difference of the quality of QLED and Philips' technology, which i don't know details of. Is there any significant difference for the use i'm willing to do?
My second one is the Smart TV software. Is Tinzen convenient with connecting /casting devices etc or should I go for the Android OS of Philips which i'm used with?
If there are better options for me out there, I am glad to hear them!
Thanks in advance

Dodgexander

They are both LCD TVs, QLED is largely marketing and not important when it comes to picking a TV.
If you want a TV that performs a bit better than these, for similar pricing then try to find the Hisense U7Q. Pair that TV with a dedicated device like a Chromecast for smart duty.

Also worth considering that unless you can reach mid tier, or preferably high tier TVs then there's not going to be a huge difference in quality spending more money. Its probably best to spend as little as you can, rather than sticking to a strict budget of EUR600.

user444

Novice Member
Thank you for your response!
As I can see all of them use a VA panel so there's no difference in viewing angle between them.
In addition, if i combine my new TV with a PS5 in the future, would any of these TVs (or others of the same low tier category) have a significant better quality?
Do you think that it worths spending ~200-300€ more in order to get into the mid tier category and models such as LG 55nano85 or Sony 55XH90 or i will still not spot any significant difference?
Thanks a lot!

Dodgexander

Only the Hisense U7Q due to its local dimming and higher peak brightness. Other TVs, including the two you picked out are fine for gaming as long as you disable HDR on the console.

The Sony XH90 should be even better still for gaming, since it has 120hz input support at 4k and HDR that's even better than the Hisense U7Q.

user444

Novice Member
Only the Hisense U7Q due to its local dimming and higher peak brightness. Other TVs, including the two you picked out are fine for gaming as long as you disable HDR on the console.

The Sony XH90 should be even better still for gaming, since it has 120hz input support at 4k and HDR that's even better than the Hisense U7Q.
Is there any difference on the panel of the Philips 58PUS8505 and 58PUS8545? I have checked many sites and i cannot figure out if they have local dimming(edge lit) or not. According to some of them the 8505 model has local dimming panel but it seems to me strange because i thought that their panels are identical and the only differences are the remote control and the standing base.

Dodgexander

Is there any difference on the panel of the Philips 58PUS8505 and 58PUS8545? I have checked many sites and i cannot figure out if they have local dimming(edge lit) or not. According to some of them the 8505 model has local dimming panel but it seems to me strange because i thought that their panels are identical and the only differences are the remote control and the standing base.
Neither has local dimming, both the same TV with small differences.
58 - Size
P - Consumer
U - UHD
S - DVB-T/T2/C/S/S2 tuner
8 - middle class
5 - unknown, this means a minor functional difference such as display backlight, ambilight or other. From what I've seen this usually is related to amblight being 2 or 4 sided.
0 - Usually relates to aesthetics. 0 is the base model. Some models have different stands, colour, design or accessories like a different style remote control.
5 - The year of production. 5 is 2020, 6 2021.

Make sure to not mix up 'direct' backlighting with FALD TVs with local dimming.
Direct is not necessarily better than edge lighting. What matters is if the TV has FALD, and high peak brightness, neither of which this Philips has.

With Philips you need to shop for their OLEDs, or their new MiniLED LCD models (PML instead of PUS) to get a good quality TV.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom