Samsung QE75QN95AATXXU vs Hisense 75U9GQTUK?

amiejean

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to invest in a new TV (upgrading from a 65' curved Samsung 1080p) and currently I am torn between the Samsung QE75QN95AATXXU & Hisense 75U9GQTUK.

I am struggling to find a decent review online of the Hisense (the numbering system seems different in the US? I don't know if I'm looking at the right reviews on YouTube). The retail sites like Box, Currys all have very good reviews for it of 4.5 stars and above. They state the sound is very good as well as overall picture quality. Best price I can currently find is £2499.

As I currently have a Samsung I'm torn on whether I should just stick with the brand I know. The specs look almost identical to the Hisense however has 2000nits brightness compared to the Hisense's 3000. The reviews for the Samsung also seem more mixed, saying the sound quality isn't great. The price I can find for this is £2699.

My partner and I like to game so 4k @ 120hz is something we definitely want.

Does anyone have any opinions of the two above TV's? My local Currys only has the Samsung TV available to view, so I haven't been able to look at a Hisense in person. I have seen a Hisense 65U8QFTUK and was impressed with the picture quality.

Thanks for your thoughts :)

Dodgexander

Hisense's venture in Europe is different from the US and usually their offerings in Europe are worse. Chances are since the U8GQ in EU is worse than the U8G in the US that the U9G is going to be worse too.

A quick glance at specs show the TV doesn't use dual cell tech, which immediately shows its not like the U9G in the US...although to be fair the U9G in the US didn't really review particularly great either...so for the European U9G that may actually be a good thing.

Its still early to be considering a 2021 model, so there's no harm in waiting for reviews on the European U9G, TV prices are only going to lower with time now. Viewing in the store is kind of pointless, you won't be able to draw conclusions this way. In fact, it can be misleading. Buy on the merit of user feedback and reviews, not what you see in the shop.

With the sound, take in to consideration the physical design of a TV. A TV like the Hisense with a dedicated soundbar built in is going to sound a lot better than the Samsung with integrated speakers. Space is always a limit and its usually a good idea to budget for a separate sound system, or at least a soundbar to go with any TV.

amiejean

Hisense's venture in Europe is different from the US and usually their offerings in Europe are worse. Chances are since the U8GQ in EU is worse than the U8G in the US that the U9G is going to be worse too.

A quick glance at specs show the TV doesn't use dual cell tech, which immediately shows its not like the U9G in the US...although to be fair the U9G in the US didn't really review particularly great either...so for the European U9G that may actually be a good thing.

Its still early to be considering a 2021 model, so there's no harm in waiting for reviews on the European U9G, TV prices are only going to lower with time now. Viewing in the store is kind of pointless, you won't be able to draw conclusions this way. In fact, it can be misleading. Buy on the merit of user feedback and reviews, not what you see in the shop.

With the sound, take in to consideration the physical design of a TV. A TV like the Hisense with a dedicated soundbar built in is going to sound a lot better than the Samsung with integrated speakers. Space is always a limit and its usually a good idea to budget for a separate sound system, or at least a soundbar to go with any TV.
Thanks for your thoughts on this! Would you recommend the Samsung over the Hisense then, or is it too early to say due to the lack of reviews for the European model? I'm not particularly in a rush and would rather wait to make the right choice.

I did look at the Hisense OLED offering, which is available at 65inch and not 75inch. I'm not particularly sold on OLED screens though, I always find them very dark, however this may be due to years of looking at Samsung screens (both TV and phone).

ab12

Forget Hisense 2021 EU models when you're looking at high-end TVs. They've switched to ADS/IPS, dropped local dimming or dimming zones and haven't added 4K120. Yes, they introduced a mini-led, but with an unfit base. It shares the same weaknesses as the QNED90, QN85A and EU QN90A as all have IPS type panels with Mini LED full-array backlight.

75U9GQ will be similar to the (EU) QN90A, but with better sound and perhaps some more nits in dynamic mode. Both have an ADS panel, 1000/1280 dimming zones and very high brightness. QN94A and QN95A will be a much better choice as they come with VA panels, which have more stable local dimming and are more suited for HDR and home cinema. Samsung also feature an actual 2.1 chipset with 4K120 support and VRR (20-120Hz). Hisense is limited to 2.1 features only with 4K60 and VRR (48-60Hz).

Last edited by a moderator:

amiejean

Forget Hisense 2021 EU models when you're looking at high-end TVs. They've switched to ADS/IPS, dropped local dimming or dimming zones and haven't added 4K120. Yes, they introduced a mini-led, but with an unfit base. It shares the same weaknesses as the QNED90, QN85A and EU QN90A as all have IPS type panels with Mini LED full-array backlight.

75U9GQ will be similar to the (EU) QN90A, but with better sound and perhaps some more nits in dynamic mode. Both have an ADS panel, 1000/1280 dimming zones and very high brightness. QN94A and QN95A will be a much better choice as they come with VA panels, which have more stable local dimming and are more suited for HDR and home cinema. Samsung also feature an actual 2.1 chipset with 4K120 support and VRR (20-120Hz). Hisense is limited to 2.1 features only with 4K60 and VRR (48-60Hz).
Thanks for your feedback! The tech specs for the Hisense I'm looking at does say it supports native [email protected] and that it has local dimming from 100 zones. Are these specs just not up to par with what the Samsung has to offer?

Link below to the product on Box:

ab12

Thanks for your feedback! The tech specs for the Hisense I'm looking at does say it supports native [email protected] and that it has local dimming from 100 zones. Are these specs just not up to par with what the Samsung has to offer?

Link below to the product on Box:
Their description is a mess. Product overview describes the U8QF and specs are of the U9G. It does feature a 120Hz panel, but it doesn't display 4K 120Hz signals due to chipset limitation. Specs are fine and comparable to the EU QN90A. But as mentioned before the QN94/95A have a better foundation (lcd-type) and thus more stable local dimming and better HDR. And in your case Samsung offers actual [email protected] support.

amiejean

Their description is a mess. Product overview describes the U8QF and specs are of the U9G. It does feature a 120Hz panel, but it doesn't display 4K 120Hz signals due to chipset limitation. Specs are fine and comparable to the EU QN90A. But as mentioned before the QN94/95A have a better foundation (lcd-type) and thus more stable local dimming and better HDR. And in your case Samsung offers actual [email protected] support.
Ah thanks for clarifying, I haven't looked at specs for U8QF so wouldn't know that they were being shown on this U9G page! That's confusing and very misleading that they state 4k @120hz for the model if the chipset can't support it.

ab12

Ah thanks for clarifying, I haven't looked at specs for U8QF so wouldn't know that they were being shown on this U9G page! That's confusing and very misleading that they state 4k @120hz for the model if the chipset can't support it.
Check https://hisense.co.uk/tvs/all-tvs/u9g/ for more accurate specs. There you can see the inputs are actually HDMI 2.0 with 2.1 features. There is no mention of 4K120. They advertise with 3000-Nit, but if you scroll down it's 2000nits. Peak brightness could be higher than what Samsung has to offer, but expect them to have the same brightness in usable picture modes and in actual content.

It's more or less an EU QN90A with better sound, but worse gaming features. QN95A (QN94A) is a better option.

Dodgexander

Do you have a source for the U9GQ having an IPS type panel?

ab12

Do you have a source for the U9GQ having an IPS type panel?
Look for contrast 1200:1

It's also perfectly in line with their entire 2021 EU line-up. Pretty much every set is ADS/IPS apart from the E7G. Exceptions are 43, 50 and 58 inch from the A7G and A6G series which are VA. Rest is IPS or OLED. Source: Hisense themselves (websites).

Last edited by a moderator:

Dodgexander

Look for contrast 1200:1

It's also perfectly in line with their entire 2021 EU line-up. Pretty much every set is ADS/IPS apart from the E7G. Exceptions are 43, 50 and 58 inch from the A7G and A6G series which are VA. Rest is IPS or OLED. Source: Hisense themselves (websites).
Good find, although perhaps not as reliable as finding an actual review. What a mess the TV must be if it can reach high nits with an IPS panel, worse even than LGs LCD TVs.

Out of interest, where did you source your Samsung panel info? Manufacturers websites have proven to me, not to be the best source...in fact manufacturers themselves don't seem to be either.

ab12

Good find, although perhaps not as reliable as finding an actual review. What a mess the TV must be if it can reach high nits with an IPS panel, worse even than LGs LCD TVs.

Out of interest, where did you source your Samsung panel info? Manufacturers websites have proven to me, not to be the best source...in fact manufacturers themselves don't seem to be either.
True, but Hisense seems accurate so far. Hisense and TCL are one of the few that actually provide such panel info anyway.

Samsung info comes from spare parts: Home they are an exclusive Authorised Samsung Distributor. For NA you can use Electronic Parts Supplier | TVserviceParts.com and Samsung Parts, Accessories, DLP TV Lamp, Remote Controls, AC Adapters or Encompass Parts: Replacement OEM Parts and Accessories for other brands.

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom