Question SAMSUNG QE65Q9FNATXXU 65 and "Audio data not supported"?

D

Deleted member 805803

ive just set up my new tv and ive very pleased with it apart from 60% of my movies wont play the audio

all my prev samsung tv's played the same movies just fine

all are streamed from my qnap nas over dlna

anyone else had this issue?

ive even just set up my denon avr and still getting the same issue

rather disappointing for a £3800 tv

ive tried

soft reset
hard reset
im on the latest fw
the movie formats are on the samsung approved list for this tv

.mkv - aac/dolby ect

I'm also experiencing the same issue, with DTS-HD audio encoded. My QE55Q9FN was exchanged, and my replacement set won't play half of the movie library. Also on the 1103 latest firmware.

Hi mate, they removed dts support on the 2018 sets. As they do not have the appropriate license i think its unlikely it will ever be added via firmware

cheers

Is it possible to do a firmware downgrade, as this did previously work fine?

What a disappointment, makes me regret 'upgrading' from my 2017 Q7F :(

they actually highlighted its removal here mate https://developer.samsung.com/tv/de...a-specifications/2018-tv-video-specifications

yeah its not great but it could never pass DTS-HD anyway over ARC (just the core) so an external box is probably a better solution anyway tbh

That link doesn't seem to work for me, page cannot be found.

For clarity, what do you mean by an external box? I've got the set hooked up to an Onkyo AV receiver, but and have an Xbox One X available for media playback.

That link doesn't seem to work for me, page cannot be found.

For clarity, what do you mean by an external box? I've got the set hooked up to an Onkyo AV receiver, but and have an Xbox One X available for media playback.

a lot depends on the content you intend to view mate, is it 4k? HDR? is your amp capable of passing this through? if yes then you would be better buying something like a nvidia shield TV, zidoo, vero 4k etc... Its possible your one x may support some of the formats but you would have to check.

If your amp does not support 4k (and thats what you are trying to watch) then by using an external box like those mentioned above apps such as kodi/plex etc... will convert the audio on the fly to something your TV can process.

Another option of course is to just re encode the movie with dolby.

Link works here but i have attached a screen grab of the relevant part

cheers

Attachments

• Screenshot 2018-07-30 at 12.54.09.png
    Screenshot 2018-07-30 at 12.54.09.png
    149.1 KB · Views: 652
a lot depends on the content you intend to view mate, is it 4k? HDR? is your amp capable of passing this through? if yes then you would be better buying something like a nvidia shield TV, zidoo, vero 4k etc... Its possible your one x may support some of the formats but you would have to check.

If your amp does not support 4k (and thats what you are trying to watch) then by using an external box like those mentioned above apps such as kodi/plex etc... will convert the audio on the fly to something your TV can process.

Another option of course is to just re encode the movie with dolby.

Link works here but i have attached a screen grab of the relevant part

cheers

Thank you for your advice, I really do appreciate it. The content is 4k HDR, and AV Receiver isn't 4k or HDR compatible, however the AV Receiver is only used via ARC for the audio only. I'll do some research into the Nvidia Shield and take a look. I wonder if DTS HD will come back, I've already read that the 2018 LG lineup now lack support for this very popular codec.

Thank you for your advice, I really do appreciate it. The content is 4k HDR, and AV Receiver isn't 4k or HDR compatible, however the AV Receiver is only used via ARC for the audio only. I'll do some research into the Nvidia Shield and take a look. I wonder if DTS HD will come back, I've already read that the 2018 LG lineup now lack support for this very popular codec.

No probs mate, check out the kodi forums for the xbox one x, its possible you may be able to play the movies through that. audio passthrough doesn't work but you would want the xbox to decode the audio as your TV doesn't support dts anyway, if that makes sense

cheers

hi mate ive now tried running mine through a denon av and still get the audio issue, however this was still over DLNA (using hdmi arc), i predict if i was running through the av using a uhd player ect over hdmi it would work but all my content is streamed over DLNA

im also regretting upgrading as all these files played fine with the older sets

also some of mine that dont play are dolby and aac which are both supported by samsung, some content i have with dolby and aac plays fine and some don't

i still think there is something missing from the samsung firmware as these exact same files played fine with all my prev samsung tv's

im just hoping it gets fixed with the next update

hi mate ive now tried running mine through a denon av and still get the audio issue, however this was still over DLNA, i predict if i was running through the av using a uhd player ect over hdmi it would work but all my content is streamed over DLNA

im also regretting upgrading as all these files played fine with the older sets

also some of mine that dont play are dolby and aac which are both supported by samsung, some content i have with dolby and aac plays fine and some don't

i still think there is something missing from the samsung firmware as these exact same files played fine with all my prev samsung tv's

im just hoping it gets fixed with the next update

xbox can stream files over dlna mate, also check out the apple tv 4k, that should solve your problem and they have alot of cheap movies on there iTunes store

As long as you are using the samsung in built player you will have issues, it doesn't matter if you are using TV speakers or ARC/optical back to an amp.

The ones which have a dolby soundtrack i assume you have gone through the audio options and selected it from the soundtrack list? I am pretty sure my 2017 doesn't process True HD so if it has been ripped with just that and not including the normal dolby soundtrack then i dont think it will work

You cannot really compare to your 2017 set unfortunately, there is a reason Samsung removed this functionality for 2018 and i cannot see them paying the license fee to get it back

cheers

As long as you are using the samsung in built player you will have issues, it doesn't matter if you are using TV speakers or ARC/optical back to an amp.

ye that makes sense,i have a ps4 not xbox, but don't really want to run it through either,i kind of liked the stream over DLNA straight to tv option

my nas has a option to connect via HDMI and use its own player, maybe i will try that option next

The ones which have a dolby soundtrack i assume you have gone through the audio options and selected it from the soundtrack list? I am pretty sure my 2017 doesn't process True HD so if it has been ripped with just that and not including the normal dolby soundtrack then i dont think it will work

unfortunately these rips only had the one audio so i couldn't switch and try another

at least i know the reason for the issue now and can work on a work around

thanks chopples

also fyi True HD seems to work fine on my model as ive played some demo's over the last few days with that format (over arc through amp)

ye that makes sense,i have a ps4 not xbox, but don't really want to run it through either,i kind of liked the stream over DLNA straight to tv option

my nas has a option to connect via HDMI and use its own player, maybe i will try that option next

unfortunately these rips only had the one audio so i couldn't switch and try another

at least i know the reason for the issue now and can work on a work around

thanks chopples

also fyi True HD seems to work fine on my model as ive played some demo's over the last few days with that format (over arc through amp)

does your nas support a plex server? could be a work around as you could set it to transcode the audio only, Samsung does have a Plex client on the app store

cheers

ye i tried plex on my qnap, but it didn't play anything just through a error ( it was indexing my large media library at the time so that could be why), i guess i could change some settings and get it working, my nas has a trans code option aswell but you don't get the options i did before on the old qnap fw's, just 480p,720,1080p and original, not options for audio ect

i will have a play tonight and try plex,qnaps hybrid desk station ect and see if any work

new firmware just landed ver 1134.0

doing it manual now as tv don't find it, hopefully it solves some issues

new firmware just landed ver 1134.0

doing it manual now as tv don't find it, hopefully it solves some issues

I upgraded this lunchtime, and couldn't see any major differences, certainly not for audio output options from the Xbox One console to the Samsung QE55Q9FN. I'm starting to concede that I may have to buy a new AV receiver and put everything through that. I don't want to though because of the number of remotes, and I like the Xbox One and Sky logos for the sources - which I'd lose. Small, but it's a nice touch. I wish there was a change log!

EDIT - just noticed you use a Denon AVR. I'm looking at the AVR X2400, please tell me that's not the model you're having issues with?

sadly didn't solve my issue either, yes a change-log would be great

if it helps i run mine through a av but still have the same issue,but as chopples pointed out im still using the tv's media player, even tho im sending the audio through my av,i guess the tv still has to approve the audio before sending it

@chopples is hdmi(arc) better than using a optical cable?

@mossy2k18 i would of thought running your xbox through the hdmi socket on the av would solve your issue tho

also ive got sky but dont see a logo? think it just says cable for me

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom