Question Samsung QE65Q9F/Panasonic TX-65FZ800E/TX-75FX780E or wait?

AndyM82

Standard Member
Hi all,

I currently have a Samsung UE60F6300 from 2014. I've been generally happy with it, despite it having some clouding issues in certain parts of the screen. However, it is only 1080p and with a lot of films now being released in 4K I am starting to feel the need to upgrade, especially when I see so many shiny 4K screens in shops! I am not in a big rush to do it, I'd rather wait for a great deal for a great screen, which probably come around very seldom.

I almost bought the QE65Q9FN last year when Samsung were offering a large sum of cashback on it, but I resisted as money was quite tight at the time. I have been looking at that again, but in Italy the price doesn't seem to have lowered from what it was when I saw it last year and there's no longer the cashback incentive.

So I took a look on a few websites and noticed one that seems to be clearing out old stock of the QE65Q9F from 2017. Looking at reviews, it seems good for the time, but is not very good compared to the Q9FN. However, the price is a significant point of temptation - I can get it for 1000 Euros. If it is a significant upgrade over my current TV and won't leave me wanting to upgrade again for a good few years, I could be tempted.

On the other hand, there's the more expensive Panasonic TX-65FZ800E (802B in the UK I believe), which I can pick up on a tempting finance offer - 0% interest on repayments and no repayments until next January, at 1799 Euros. I have seen great reviews for this TV so it is a temptation, but I'm unsure if this is a truly good price or if I could get it cheaper if I wait. I could also get the TX-75FX780E on the same offer, which I know will be of lower quality than the 800E, but if it isn't a huge difference and still a big step up from my current TV I could be tempted for that significant upgrade in size.

Or, if the newest Samsung QE65Q90RAT is going to be discounted with cashback in a similar way to the Q9FN was, I could be tempted to wait for that next year. Or, even for the Panasonics to drop in price some more.

Any advice on which of the above I should go for, or if I should wait until next year?

My criteria on selecting a new TV are:
  • Budget - would prefer a cheap deal but would pay up to 1800 for a particularly good TV, or wait for a good deal to arrive.
  • Future-proofing - I need a screen that will last me and won't leave me wanting an upgrade for 5 years or so.
  • Significant upgrade to current TV - I need at least 65" and would like to be able to see a noticeable improvement in image quality and brightness/contrast over my current model, to justify the upgrade.
  • No significantly noticeable, irritating issues - e.g. issues with blooming, black bars not being black, etc.
Thanks in advance!

Dodgexander

No significantly noticeable, irritating issues - e.g. issues with blooming, black bars not being black, etc.
This can be alleviated somewhat on an LCD by having a model that has decent local dimming, but on models that do not such as the Samsung Q9F the black bars aren't going to be too much, if not any better than far, far cheaper TVs.

As for getting a good deal, the FZ800 @ €1800 is a good deal, as would the LG B8 be if it was cheaper.

As for when to buy, usually the best time is buying from last years range between when the newer models are released or entering shops. Thats why you see such a good price on the FZ800 I guess.

If you wanted an LCD instead then the Samsung Q9FN/Q8DN if still available was released the same year as the Panasonic FZ800 and may be available at a good price.

If you want a 75" TV look at Sony's XF9005/Samsung Q8DN instead of Panasonic models, they are the cheapest TVs available at 75" that can also display HDR to a good standard.

And if you want the ultimate future-proof TV, you'll want to wait a year from now to pick up one of LGs OLEDs from the new 2019 range as they are the only ones to have most HDMI 2.1 features.

AndyM82

Standard Member
Hi, thanks for this information. It has helped me narrow down to two options:
  • LG B8 65" at 1349.99 Euros
  • Samsung 65Q8DN at 1299 Euros

I couldn't find the Sony 75XF900F at an affordable price, but I did find the 65" version at 1399 Euros. However, I read some negative things about the OS crashing and blooming with this model, so am a bit wary. On the other hand, it does have Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos support, whereas the Samsung does not. I am quite keen on Dolby Atmos.

I also have concerns over image retention with OLED TVs, even though I know with careful use I could limit the risks, so I'm most tempted now with the Samsung. The price seems excellent, I can get it on the same finance deal as the Panny I mentioned previously, and it was one of the TVs I had almost bought last year when there was the cashback incentive. Until today, this offer on the Q8 wasn't active, so it is brand new.

Out of the LG, Sony and Samsung, at these prices, which would you recommend? Image viewing angle for me isn't an issue - I sit directly in front. It's more about the best TV to last me a good amount of time.

Last edited:

Dodgexander

I read some negative things about the OS crashing and blooming with this model, so am a bit wary. On the other hand, it does have Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos support, whereas the Samsung does not. I am quite keen on Dolby Atmos.
Yes the OS is the downside of the Sony and since its more expensive than the Samsung Q8DN that overall is marginally a better TV then its probably not worth considering. It does depend though, as you have already noted it has some advantages such as Dolby Vision support, its motion is also probably better than the Samsung but unless you are very sensitive to motion the Samsung will be more than good enough in this respect too. The Sony doesn't have atmos via HDMI, at least last I checked. But ask yourself, are you going to be using content that does have atmos? and if you do, will you have a soundbar or AVR+speaker setup with atmos support to back it up?The LG B8 that does support atmos via HDMI only will work with select titles that have atmos on Netflix, it won't pass atmos via HDMI from external sources and of course you need an atmos capable sound system to really benefit from it. Built in speakers will not sound good no matter what signal you feed them.
Out of the LG, Sony and Samsung, at these prices, which would you recommend? Image viewing angle for me isn't an issue - I sit directly in front. It's more about the best TV to last me a good amount of time.
You couldn't find a price for the 75" Samsung Q8DN either?
Out of the 3 you mention the LG B8 is probably best value, it will give you the biggest gains in picture quality across board including both Dolby Vision support.

Before I can say one is better than the next though it really depends how you use the TV, when comparing different technologies and TVs some have benefits for one person that is different from the next. Will you use Dolby Vision HDR? Will you have connected an atmos capable sound system? Will you use HDR10+? Will you watch in the dark or with lights on/during the day? Will you game on the TV? What about gaming with HDR? If you do game, what console/PC graphics card will you use? How much of your total usage will be SDR versus HDR -the Q8DN isn't going to be that much better at displaying SDR than a cheaper LCD.

Buying can be complicated, but to make the best suggestion for you, I'd need to know more about how you are going to use the TV.

Obviously you need to consider OLED Burn In Risk but this really depends on your usage with most people who buy OLEDs not having an issue when they have varied usage.

AndyM82

Standard Member
You couldn't find a price for the 75" Samsung Q8DN either?

I found it, but it was way out of my price range - 2700 Euros. For the right TV I'd go to 1800 max.

Will you use Dolby Vision HDR? Will you have connected an atmos capable sound system? Will you use HDR10+? Will you watch in the dark or with lights on/during the day? Will you game on the TV? What about gaming with HDR? If you do game, what console/PC graphics card will you use? How much of your total usage will be SDR versus HDR -the Q8DN isn't going to be that much better at displaying SDR than a cheaper LCD.

I plan on buying a decent Ultra HD Blu Ray player that will be capable of handling all the HDR formats including Dolby Vision.

You've made me realise it's highly unlikely I will actually need the Dolby Atmos capability as I don't plan on stepping up much higher than my current Yamaha YSP1400 soundbar, which is adequate for my ears (my hearing isn't too good anyway!). Even when I do upgrade, I don't think Dolby Atmos capabilities are going to be in my budget range.

I will not be using the TV as a monitor. It is mainly going to be for films and most often it will be in a dark room at night. I am known to put on two or three films in a row at night - films are definitely my focus.

Not too bothered about daytime TV viewing - and I have curtains that block light well if I occasionally need to make the room dark during the day. At the moment I have most films I like to watch regularly either on BluRay disc or ditigally in 1080p quality - I tend to go for 8gb-12gb file sizes. But, if I got a 4K TV I'd start to build my 4K BluRay collection and look for 4K digital material.

I will game, but very casually. Apart from in the summer, when I have more time on my hands, my typical gaming time would be maximum 2 hours in an evening and it would be sporadic use, unless I buy a new game, but that is rare. I don't have a lot of expectations in regards to gaming - I'm not a serious gamer. I use a PS4 and as long as I can see what's going on clearly I am happy - not fussed about HDR gaming.

I think my usage is fairly mixed - my wife will watch TV in the day, I'll put films on in the evening and game occasionally. I think the biggest risk for image retention would be my wife watching channels with logos on the screen for a few hours in the daytime, but I can explain the issue to her and ask her to use the 40" LCD in the bedroom if she wants to watch for a long time.

AndyM82

Standard Member
It sounds to me like the OLED is more suited for your use. You can use the auto-logo dimming feature on the B8 to help any static logos.

Thanks for the advice. One more question: I could get hold of the LG 65C8 for around 300 Euros more than the B8 - would that be worth it, or is the difference between the two not enough to justify the 300 difference in price?

zeppelino

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the advice. One more question: I could get hold of the LG 65C8 for around 300 Euros more than the B8 - would that be worth it, or is the difference between the two not enough to justify the 300 difference in price?

Not worth that premium. I’d add a soundbar instead.

B8 scored 9 on here, C8 10 - but the difference is marginal to say the least.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs of 2021, plus our favourite & memorable reviews of the year
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom