Samsung QE55Q95TCTXXU or Samsung QE55Q95TC

jas111

Established Member
Reaction score
I am looking at these tv's i know one model is from Currys the other Richer Sounds. Is there actually any difference between models? Or is it to avoid price matching from other places! I am looking at these for Freesat so will be some SD viewing and a bit of HD that is included on Freesat channels. Looking this year to get a Series X and these tv's get the most of it i think.
I did see that the Sony 9505 is available cheap today was sooooo tempted but lack of Freesat and not future proof for gaming has held me back! Would that instead be a good choice or not?

Helppppp and thank you

I am looking at these tv's i know one model is from Currys the other Richer Sounds. Is there actually any difference between models? Or is it to avoid price matching from other places! I am looking at these for Freesat so will be some SD viewing and a bit of HD that is included on Freesat channels. Looking this year to get a Series X and these tv's get the most of it i think.
I did see that the Sony 9505 is available cheap today was sooooo tempted but lack of Freesat and not future proof for gaming has held me back! Would that instead be a good choice or not?

Helppppp and thank you
Afaik Sony 9505 has a freesat tuner. I have one and will check out later today if another owner has not already confirmed one way or the other.

The Sony XH9505 does appear to have a Freesat tuner, although one review last year did state that "Freesat is coming via a future software update" which is odd.

Afaik Sony 9505 has a freesat tuner. I have one and will check out later today if another owner has not already confirmed one way or the other.
Thank you very much. Can you tell me if SD looks ok on this? Because obviously not every Freesat channel is HD

Can you tell me if SD looks ok on this? Because obviously not every Freesat channel is HD

What screen resolution and size is your current TV and how far away do you sit ? All of those factors will have a big effect on how SD looks on a large 4K screen.

My current tv is a 32" mid range at the time LG 1080p. I sit 110cm away from screen at closest but have a large room and can sit double that away at an angle on a sofa

SD probably won’t look good on such a big screen that close unfortunately. Or even at 2m
How does it look so close on the small screen though?

My current tv is a 32" mid range at the time LG 1080p. I sit 110cm away from screen at closest but have a large room and can sit double that away at an angle on a sofa

Ah... in which case it might be time to lower your expectations ! Even good quality SD content on a 55" 4K screen at 1.1m will look very soft and fuzzy and a lot of it will be almost unwatchable. While it's true that some TVs are better at upscaling than others, even the better ones can only do so much when they're given so little to work with.

Even at double that distance, it still won't look great. I sit around 2.5m away from a 55" 4K OLED and some of the better quality SD content can look passable / 'OK' at that distance (a good quality DVD or one of the better bitrate Freeview SD channels, for example) but some of the lower quality Freeview channels can look awful. I definitely wouldn't want to sit any closer than that to watch anything in SD.

I guess it comes down to the quality of what you currently watch and whether you anticipate your viewing habits changing in the future ? Since upgrading to a larger 4K OLED, my viewing habits have definitely changed - I've progressed from watching mostly SD/HD Freeview to now watching almost exclusively HD and 4K content, either on Freeview or via a 4K streaming service like Prime or Netflix.

Ah... in which case it might be time to lower your expectations ! Even good quality SD content on a 55" 4K screen at 1.1m will look very soft and fuzzy and a lot of it will be almost unwatchable. While it's true that some TVs are better at upscaling than others, even the better ones can only do so much when they're given so little to work with.

Even at double that distance, it still won't look great. I sit around 2.5m away from a 55" 4K OLED and some of the better quality SD content can look passable / 'OK' at that distance (a good quality DVD or one of the better bitrate Freeview SD channels, for example) but some of the lower quality Freeview channels can look awful. I definitely wouldn't want to sit any closer than that to watch anything in SD.

I guess it comes down to the quality of what you currently watch and whether you anticipate your viewing habits changing in the future ? Since upgrading to a larger 4K OLED, my viewing habits have definitely changed - I've progressed from watching mostly SD/HD Freeview to now watching almost exclusively HD and 4K content, either on Freeview or via a 4K streaming service like Prime or Netflix.
Thank you for the detailed response Mike. The tv will be for my mum who is elderly and she only watches normal tv really, not into Netflix etc. I have explained that sd the picture will probably look worse on a new 4k tv than it currently does, this is taking bit of explaining though! I see the Samsungs suffer from motion stutter but read about certain apps on the Sony causing it too. Don't think there os a clear winning tv!!

Score your local classifieds and see if you can't find a larger 1080p TV. SD on a 4k is dreadful.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom