Samsung QE55Q7F 4K QLED LCD TV Review & Comments

Great review, I have this tv and love it....But you mention day-cal and night-cal options ?

These don't appear in my piture settings, my TV is on formware 1124 and when I try to update it states I'm on the latest firmeware ?

What firmware is your review model please ?

Great review, I have this tv and love it....But you mention day-cal and night-cal options ?

These don't appear in my piture settings, my TV is on formware 1124 and when I try to update it states I'm on the latest firmeware ?

What firmware is your review model please ?
It was running the latest firmware Steve, under Picture Modes there are various options like Standard and Movie and you'll also find Cal-Day and Cal-Night. They aren't new picture modes and have been available on all of Samsung's 2017 models since the start of this year.

Hi Steve, A lot of talk on forums that Samsung Tv's are priced quite high when compared to last years models, brexit/pound value has to come into it, Also you have to factor in the pricing at different stages of its shelf life, any thoughts on that?

With the recent price drop of the LG OLED55B7(£1,799) I know which one I would go for :)

I guarantee Samsung are going to release an OLED next year. Samsung stop reinventing the wheel, It's time to move on.

Last edited:
thanks steve, good review. The 49" Q7 is a good price now BUT the loss of cinema black feature , component connection and 3d over my JS samsung is still stopping me "upgrade". I suppose there's zero chance of next years samsungs having a component connection and 3d?

At that price, an OLED is a no brainer over an LCD.

thanks steve, good review. The 49" Q7 is a good price now BUT the loss of cinema black feature , component connection and 3d over my JS samsung is still stopping me "upgrade". I suppose there's zero chance of next years samsungs having a component connection and 3d?
I'm afraid there's zero chance of any TV having those next year.

Hi Steve, A lot of talk on forums that Samsung Tv's are priced quite high when compared to last years models, brexit/pound value has to come into it, Also you have to factor in the pricing at different stages of its shelf life, any thoughts on that?
I comment on Samsung's pricing in the review but it's fair to say they were pricing way above the competition earlier in the year but it looks as though recent price reductions have brought them more into line.

The price reductions aren't enough when you consider a 55" Sony XE90 is £1350

It was running the latest firmware Steve, under Picture Modes there are various options like Standard and Movie and you'll also find Cal-Day and Cal-Night. They aren't new picture modes and have been available on all of Samsung's 2017 models since the start of this year.

Hi Steve, iv checked and under picture modes i have dynamic, standard & movie ?

Unless im looking in the wrong place ..Can you tell me the firmware number please on your review model

At that price, an OLED is a no brainer over an LCD.

From my experience, if your going to be using Any Oled as a family TV, i would advise to stick with LCD/LED for now. I dont want Togo into again as i sound like a Oled hater which i am not, I HAVE ONE a 55 930V.

But they have the very real danger of screen burn (Oled ageing) watching normal tv. Anything with info bars with yellow/white or red colours I.E SOCCER SATURDAY, which is the one that killed my panel. The pixels in that area have age thus looking like what you would call burn in, is now visible on everything sadly.

Any how that another story.

From my experience, if your going to be using Any Oled as a family TV, i would advise to stick with LCD/LED for now. I dont want Togo into again as i sound like a Oled hater which i am not, I HAVE ONE a 55 930V.

But they have the very real danger of screen burn (Oled ageing) watching normal tv. Anything with info bars with yellow/white or red colours I.E SOCCER SATURDAY, which is the one that killed my panel. The pixels in that area have age thus looking like what you would call burn in, is now visible on everything sadly.

OLED has come some way since the 930V model 2014 generation. A friend purchased an LG OLED recently, moving away from LCD. Mainly used as a family TV from sports to kids content, etc. He said it was the best move made and couldn't go back to LCD tech. I personally prefer the OLED picture to a LCD, when I bought my 1080p Panny Viera people told me, 'Oh no' why did you buy a plasma, they are rubbish and you will have dreaded screen burn. But when they saw the black levels, motion panning and natural colours/image look they were silenced. 9 years old and still standing, play PS3/PS4 a lot and even had a static image left on by accident for more than 2 hours, no image retention

Hi Steve, iv checked and under picture modes i have dynamic, standard & movie ?

Unless im looking in the wrong place ..Can you tell me the firmware number please on your review model
You're looking in the right place, have scrolled down through the options, they're at the bottom. I don't have the review sample any more, so I can't tell you the firmware number I'm afraid.

Seems a bit steep, I thought the idea was to use the savings in established manufacturing processes to make the cost more attractive. I really want to upgrade the TV in our bedroom (Yes there is space for 55") but at that price I would chose OLED, but then again at that price I wouldn't spent £1800 on a bedroom TV either so its moot.

1500:1 ANSI contrast? Is that due to some local dimming artifact, at first read this sounds bad as it is almost down to IPS territory. And the TV comes with worse viewing angles.

I suppose the bottom strip local dimming saves the day?

It was firmware version 1137.

Mines 1124.. So I think I'll updat via USB thanks..I defo don't have th day night cal option ?
IMG_1862.JPG

Know where my hard earned would go if I were looking for a new display ATM.
downloadfile-20.jpg

Even the Sony A1 65" ( my personal choice ) is down to 3K . OLED pricing is killing Sammys ( still overpriced ) QLEDs.

Loved my JS with its cinema black , high peak brightness on these edge lit displays must kill the letterbox bars that no amount of bias lighting can hide.

Mines 1124.. So I think I'll updat via USB thanks..I defo don't have th day night cal option ? View attachment 922996
Hi Steve, I checked with Samsung and it turns out that the Cal-Day and Cal-Night modes are added when you use the Auto Cal feature, which I didn't realise. So I'll have to update my review accordingly. Sorry about the confusion. However the Movie mode will basically be the same, so use that if you want an accurate picture.

Hi Steve, I checked with Samsung and it turns out that the Cal-Day and Cal-Night modes are added when you use the Auto Cal feature, which I didn't realise. So I'll have to update my review accordingly. Sorry about the confusion. However the Movie mode will basically be the same, so use that if you want an accurate picture.

Thanks for the advise, strange how the lastest firmware is on sammys site yet my tv won't update to it ?

I've had my LG OLED65B7 for two weeks, up until now I haven't seen any screen burn so far.
Maybe it's the automatic pixel refresh mode that starts whenever the TV is turned off :)

Last edited:
OLED has come some way since the 930V model 2014 generation. A friend purchased an LG OLED recently, moving away from LCD. Mainly used as a family TV from sports to kids content, etc. He said it was the best move made and couldn't go back to LCD tech. I personally prefer the OLED picture to a LCD, when I bought my 1080p Panny Viera people told me, 'Oh no' why did you buy a plasma, they are rubbish and you will have dreaded screen burn. But when they saw the black levels, motion panning and natural colours/image look they were silenced. 9 years old and still standing, play PS3/PS4 a lot and even had a static image left on by accident for more than 2 hours, no image retention

To be fair Iv never said Oled is rubbish far far from it, but the screen burn on Oled isn't actually screen burn but will happen if your not careful..It's the Oleds themselfs that age faster on certain colours and as they age they get dimmer than the others..So 2 hours won't do it, it's 2 hours every day that does the damage ..

Now I duno if LG have managed to combat that in later models but time will tell, but judging by rtings.com test I don't think they have..

Oleds TVs are currently the best picture wise you can buy, no one is knocking that.. I'm just worried by there life span.. Hence after owning one be it an older model which is now ruined. Iv decided to switch to Led and wait and see If the newer Oleds have solved this..

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom