Samsung QE49Q85T Viewing angle

Boostrail

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have discovered that the QE49Q85T has the anti reflection feature which the Q80T does not. Does it have the enhanced viewing angle also?
This TV is expensive and unfortunately only sold by Currys/PCWorld but could come down in next few months.
I had the opportunity to view Freeview HD on a Q80T in a local dealer. The upscaling was far better than that I saw on Freeview HD on the Sony in my recent visit to John Lewis and have read elsewhere that the Samsung upscaling is highly rated.

On Samsung's website it has the same marketing as larger sizes, and higher end TVs so I think the anti reflective filter will be the same.
I had the opportunity to view Freeview HD on a Q80T in a local dealer. The upscaling was far better than that I saw on Freeview HD on the Sony in my recent visit to John Lewis and have read elsewhere that the Samsung upscaling is highly rated.
Samsung's upscaling is very good, among the best. Why would you buy a TV of this quality for Freeview HD use though? If you are watching Freeview HD may as well get a cheaper Samsung.

Also worth noting in typical Samsung fashion the 49" model does not have a 120hz panel. Only 60hz. So in this respect motion would be a lot better on Sony TVs at the same size such as the outgoing 2019 49XG9005 and new 49XH9505.

EDIT* also 2020 TVs are very expensive right now. Definitely don't want to purchase one now unless you are happy to pay a premium for having it sooner.

I am not proposing to use this TV on Freeview HD as a source I am just using it to gain a comparison of Samsungs upscaling abilities versus the Sony models you mentioned which when I viewed them on a visit to John Lewis were showing atrocious artefacts on the identical source.
Our main source is a VM V6 cable STB which which present upscales SD to HD very well. I understand that I can use this STB to upscale to UHD but how good this will be I have no idea. i.e. do I output upscaled UHD or output HD and let the TV do the rest?

What we watch is mainly the 5 principle channels and Sport in HD but also retro TV mainly available only in SD. With a new TV we would want to watch the same but with the Sport in particular at UHD. We seldom watch films or box sets but use a Firestick with Prime for this purpose. The firestick will be upgraded to 4K when we get the new TV.
My main question was does the 49Q85T have the wide viewing angle enhancement as well as the anti reflection function that is not on the 49Q80T or do the 2 go hand in hand?

Our main source is a VM V6 cable STB which which present upscales SD to HD very well. I understand that I can use this STB to upscale to UHD but how good this will be I have no idea. i.e. do I output upscaled UHD or output HD and let the TV do the rest?
You'd just output 4k from the box letting it do the upscaling. If you don't you have to change it back on fourth depending on what you watch. If you always output 4k then you never have to worry about one TVs upscaling being better than another because you won't use it.
My main question was does the 49Q85T have the wide viewing angle enhancement as well as the anti reflection function that is not on the 49Q80T or do the 2 go hand in hand?
Yes. It should do.

Which Sony TVs did you compare btw? The XG9005, XG9505 and XH9505 have a dedicated picture processor. The new XH9005 doesn't and has noticeably worse upscaling because of it. Different people do prefer different upscaling, but generally Samsung and Sony are equally matched.

If you watch sport, you may prefer to avoid Samsung at less than 55" due to 60hz panels.

Samsung's upscaling is very good, among the best. Why would you buy a TV of this quality for Freeview HD use though? If you are watching Freeview HD may as well get a cheaper Samsung.
Sorry to interject on the thread. So if 4K is not an immediate viewing priority and only considered as desirable ‘future proofing’, is there any justification for the additional expenditure now?

Sorry to interject on the thread. So if 4K is not an immediate viewing priority and only considered as desirable ‘future proofing’, is there any justification for the additional expenditure now?
Hi unless someone only views streamed Films and Boxsets and some sport I cannot understand how anyone can make 4k viewing a priority?

I want a new TV. My present TV is 12 years old. We are in the process of restyling our lounge and our present TV will look old fashioned and out of place in this context. We would like a larger TV but 50" is definitely the limit.
If we had a new 4K TV then we would watch any material that we WANT to watch that is available in 4K in 4K but this at most would form 20% of our viewing requirements. The rest is largely only available in HD but some is SD. My main sources are and will be a VM V6 cable stb and a Firestick. The former can be set to output at 4K but thus relying on its upscaler for Non HD content which is an unknown factor and again does the Firestick (upgraded to 4K) upscale HD or SD content to 4K (e.g. i-player)?
All I want is a 4K TV that will handle non 4K sources as well as my current 1080 TV. In this respect the Samsung appears to be a better bet than the equivalent Sony.
However the purpose of this thread is to establish whether a certain Samsung model does or does not have the Samsung wider viewing angle feature as this is very important given the layout of the seating in our lounge.

However the purpose of this thread is to establish whether a certain Samsung model does or does not have the Samsung wider viewing angle feature as this is very important given the layout of the seating in our lounge.
If you look at the full specs it says not available (N/A) on both the antireflection and viewing angle for the 49" whereas for the 65" it has a 'Yes' and the 'Ultra Viewing Angle' spec you're looking for. Definitely adviseable to check it in a store before buying, you really can't miss the antireflection that goes hand in hand with the Ultra viewing angle.
Samsung upscaling may be highly regarded but so is Sony's. 'Far better' would be in the eye of the beholder (especially when not compared side-by-side). Sony's upscaling is technically more accurate, Samsung might paint a prettier picture (last time I checked Samsung was deemed to upscale standard definition material better and Sony high definition). But many users seem pleased with the Samsung upscaling ...

On the other hand I setup a Sony XG70 at an aunt's house a couple of weeks ago, also a 49", and she has what is considered the lowest quality tv provider in the country. But the Sony definitely surprised me, looked better than on the previous much more expensive 1080p Philips tv, at least in Standard Mode.
Didn't have time to adjust Film or Custom Mode in which it looked considerably worse, not in the least because the white balance was definitely off in them. Decided just to leave it in Standard :devil::p

Last edited:
If you look at the full specs it says not available (N/A) on both the antireflection and viewing angle for the 49" whereas for the 65" it has a 'Yes' and the 'Ultra Viewing Angle' spec you're looking for. Definitely adviseable to check it in a store before buying, you really can't miss the antireflection that goes hand in hand with the Ultra viewing angle.

I think you are referring to the Samsung QE49Q80T? The QE49Q85T does have the antireflection feature see please this on the Samsung website
My question as original in my first post is as the Q85T does have the antireflection feature does it also have the wider viewing angle capability. It would seem that it does. I will definitely check this out by an instore viewing. This Tv is at present priced £200 above the 49" Q80T in the same store. I will see if it comes down in price but would still then be reticent about buying a TV from Currys who seem to have exclusive rights to sell this Samsung model

Thinks does it by any chance also have a 120Hz panel?

I think you are referring to the Samsung QE49Q80T? The QE49Q85T does have the antireflection feature see please this on the Samsung website
My question as original in my first post is as the Q85T does have the antireflection feature does it also have the wider viewing angle capability. It would seem that it does. I will definitely check this out by an instore viewing. This Tv is at present priced £200 above the 49" Q80T in the same store. I will see if it comes down in price but would still then be reticent about buying a TV from Currys who seem to have exclusive rights to sell this Samsung model

Thinks does it by any chance also have a 120Hz panel?
You aren't looking at the full specs (towards the bottom of the page), just the marketing for the Q85T series. And no, Samsung doesn't have 100/120Hz 49" models ...

Screenshot_2020-08-30 Buy Samsung Q85T QLED 4K HDR Smart TV, 49 Samsung UK.png

Thanks desinho.
The headline definitely refers to the 49" model and as such I would suggest that they are in contravention of trade descriptions! I will contact Samsung UK and see what they say!
So what does this TV have over the Q80T to justify a £200 higher price tag? It appears nothing other than Currys relying on Joe public thinking that as 85 is a higher number than 80 it must be better!

Which Sony TVs did you compare btw? The XG9005, XG9505 and XH9505 have a dedicated picture processor. The new XH9005 doesn't and has noticeably worse upscaling because of it. Different people do prefer different upscaling, but generally Samsung and Sony are equally matched.

If you watch sport, you may prefer to avoid Samsung at less than 55" due to 60hz panels.

Sorry for delay in replying to this one. It was a 49XH9505. However as I said in an earlier thread this TV appeared to have marginally better viewing angles than the 49" Samsung Q80T is there anything in the Sony panel spec that would support this? Would this also apply to the 49XG9005 which is still available at a good price?

Last edited:
Hi Dodgexander
Further thoughts on upscaling. Do I need to upgrade to a 4K Firestick? Surely I just download the app on the TV? In this case what happens regarding upscaling of SD and HD on Prime?
Do Amazon upscale everything to 4K or does the TV do it?

No not really. 4k is just a buzzword that in many respects makes peoples viewing experience worse if they are still using regular TV. If you have 4k sources though you get a nice boost in quality, and if you are shopping for a more expensive model, you can also enjoy HDR if you use those sources.

You should buy a TV with the present in mind, not the future. If you aren't using a lot of 4k material right now by the time you will, there will be new and shinier tech available.
Sorry for delay in replying to this one. It was a 49XH9505. However as I said in an earlier thread this TV appeared to have marginally better viewing angles than the 49" Samsung Q80T is there anything in the Sony panel spec that would support this? Would this also apply to the 49XG9005 which is still available at a good price?
I don't know. Its not just about the panel but the back lighting too. All I know is they aren't using the same panel because the Samsung uses a 60hz one. Its possible both are Samsung made. Be hesitant to judge what you see in a shop though, the conditions and the way the TVs are set up will be completely different to at home. Rule number one when shopping for a TV; never judge based on what you see in a shop.
Hi Dodgexander
Further thoughts on upscaling. Do I need to upgrade to a 4K Firestick? Surely I just download the app on the TV? In this case what happens regarding upscaling of SD and HD on Prime?
Do Amazon upscale everything to 4K or does the TV do it?
This scenario is no different to your Virgin V6 box. If you buy a 4k firestick then you let that do the upscaling. If you don't buy a firestick and only use the Amazon prime video app on the TV, then the TV does the upscaling.

You don't need a fire stick to watch Amazon content, but people buy them for other reasons. For example Alexa compatibility, or apps that you can download on to the stick you can't directly on the TV.

Remember upscaling is only done on content less than 4k. So if you watch 4k programming, no upscaling is involved at all.

I still cant make my mind up about the 49x 80T, 85T or Sony xh9095. been without a tv for two weeks because of the same issue. The 49 85T is only sold through Currys in this country. Apparently at the beginning of the year large retailers have to bid on certain models and pay Samsung (or other manufacturers) to have sole sales of a particular product. mmmm...that way, we get in these ridiculous dilemmas that this thread has bought up. I hate the GREED and control of big companies. Maybe we should stick the v's up to them and buy a Hisense from Richer sounds??!!

I hate the GREED and control of big companies. Maybe we should stick the v's up to them and buy a Hisense from Richer sounds??!!
Yeah the exclusive deals are just crap. They do it so they don't have to price match and can fix their profits with Samsung.

The only way to verify seems to be to actually going to a Curry's and check if you can see your reflection in the screen of the 49". If you can't then it definitely has the filter ...

Sod them. Just ordered a 48" LG oled from Richer sounds. Great viewing angle and now dropped in price to 1399.00 and a 6 year RS warranty.

The only way to verify seems to be to actually going to a Curry's and check if you can see your reflection in the screen of the 49". If you can't then it definitely has the filter ...
I tried this yesterday using the flash torch on my phone, couldn't see any difference at all, did the same to an LG oled and it was much less reflective...Now the LG has Iplayer and other terestial stuff coming soon no brainer. £1399.00 at Richer sounds.

I tried this yesterday using the flash torch on my phone, couldn't see any difference at all, did the same to an LG oled and it was much less reflective...Now the LG has Iplayer and other terestial stuff coming soon no brainer. £1399.00 at Richer sounds.
Could you add some more specifics? Which TVs, and which sizes did you test and compare?

Yes OLEDs are actually pretty good with reflections, its one of the common misconceptions in the industry.

I tried the QE49T80 and the QE49T85 couldn't tell the difference but the LG CX48 oled showed very little reflection.

I tried the QE49T80 and the QE49T85 couldn't tell the difference but the LG CX48 oled showed very little reflection.
Then that likely means the 49Q85T doesn't have the anti reflection filter, which is what was suspected.

I would agree but therefore what justifies the
Then that likely means the 49Q85T doesn't have the anti reflection filter, which is what was suspected.
I would agree but therefore what justifies the price differential between the 49Q85T and the lower priced (in Currys) 49Q80T?
I have given up on this after a horrendous experience of over 2 hours on the phone with Samsung Customer help line trying to resolve this contradiction whilst one guy agreed that there was an anomaly he was unable to put me through to someone who could answer the question (cut off twice after hanging on for over half an hour and then getting put through to someone who could not understand or speak English and who then cut me off again!?)
I got a phone call the following day asking how I would rate my experience with their helpline rating aspects from 1 to 5? Everything got a one with a following comment that I would rate all as negative infinity if available!

I would agree but therefore what justifies the price differential between the 49Q85T and the lower priced (in Currys) 49Q80T?
Samsung say it has 2 step higher local dimming so if you believe their specs are correct it may have a few extra dimming zones. Its really not something that is going to make a huge difference though, so I wouldn't expect either TV to perform any differently.
I have given up on this after a horrendous experience of over 2 hours on the phone with Samsung Customer help line trying to resolve this contradiction whilst one guy agreed that there was an anomaly he was unable to put me through to someone who could answer the question (cut off twice after hanging on for over half an hour and then getting put through to someone who could not understand or speak English and who then cut me off again!?)
This is the problem, believe me I've been in this situation before. Its not their customer service's fault, but Samsung for not giving them correct info...well jeez, Samsung do not even give the correct info to their sales reps that come to CES each year, and they certainly don't give correct info to their sales reps on shop floors.
Its unfortunately a common drawback in modern companies as a whole, with the customer service department being devoid of any useful info.
I got a phone call the following day asking how I would rate my experience with their helpline rating aspects from 1 to 5? Everything got a one with a following comment that I would rate all as negative infinity if available!
If I were you I'd slate them for their service, but be sure to mention its not really customer services' fault directly, but that of Samsung themselves not disclosing basic info to their support agents!

Am I right in that according to currys specs for the 49Q85T and john lewis for the QE49Q80T.

Currys - 49Q85T has total 40w audio output
JL - 49QE80T has total 20w audio output

Can find no rrviews anf limited infor for QE49Q85T but this audio difference could be???

Ok just found this it has some additional audio features
20200912_164524.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200912-164319_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200912-164319_Chrome.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 140

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom