TV choice - Sony KD-49XG9005 or Samsung QE49Q80T

Ric_A

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm after some advice on choosing a TV. I can get a Samsung QE59Q80T for £799 (directly from Samsung using a corporate discount from work), or the Sony XG9005 for the same price.

Any views? I get the impression that the Sony is probably better for motion (watching sport), which it will be used for, they both have full array screens (although the QLED may be better). I've read conflicting information about whether the Sony is 10-bit or 8-bit, and I know the Samsung is 8-bit.
It will be used with Sky-Q, and a PS3, and via a Denon AVR-2200W (as it also outputs to a 1080p projector).

Depending on which reviews I read of the Q80T, it either has the best upscaling on the market, or substandard upscaling (according to Which).

The TV it will replace is a 15-year-old 32" Samsung 720p, so I'm sure either will be a significant upgrade.

Or is there anything else I should consider at that price point? I have a limitation in size of 640mm height (wall mounted), so can't go bigger than a 49/50 inch screen.

Hi,

I'm after some advice on choosing a TV. I can get a Samsung QE59Q80T for £799 (directly from Samsung using a corporate discount from work), or the Sony XG9005 for the same price.

Any views? I get the impression that the Sony is probably better for motion (watching sport), which it will be used for, they both have full array screens (although the QLED may be better). I've read conflicting information about whether the Sony is 10-bit or 8-bit, and I know the Samsung is 8-bit.
It will be used with Sky-Q, and a PS3, and via a Denon AVR-2200W (as it also outputs to a 1080p projector).

Depending on which reviews I read of the Q80T, it either has the best upscaling on the market, or substandard upscaling (according to Which).

The TV it will replace is a 15-year-old 32" Samsung 720p, so I'm sure either will be a significant upgrade.

Or is there anything else I should consider at that price point? I have a limitation in size of 640mm height (wall mounted), so can't go bigger than a 49/50 inch screen.

I think you'll be happy with either. I'm a Sony man myself as I prefer the more natural colours and image and you can't beat their motion so would go for the XG, but lots of happy Q80T owners. Both can pump out a decent HDR experience as well. Maybe try a side by side comparison at your nearest Richer Sounds before the next lockdown.

I have always bought Sony Tv's due to their motion handling, colours and generally better picture. I don't have experience with either of the above but currently have a 65 inch Sony XE9305 which has been one of the best TV's I have owned. I did test a few Samsungs over the years but couldn't put up with the motion stutter.

Hi

I've posted a similar thread in the wrong forum area (sorry mods).
I'm looking for a TV up to £800, and can get the QE49Q80T via a work scheme for that price.
However, on visiting my local Crampton & Moore, they recommended the Sony 49XG9005.

The TV is to be used in a large lounge, with big windows. There is an electric screen (106") with a ceiling mounted Optoma HD27, that is used for big screen movies.
The space I have for the TV will accommodate a 49" screen, or some 50" screens, but I'm limited to 640mm height (wall mounted).
However, since we upgraded to Sky Q from Sky+, my 15-year old Samsung 32" LCD tv no longer works with Sky Q.

All inputs to the TV will be managed through a Denon AVR-2200W, so I'm not interested in sound quality from my TV, just picture quality.

All recommendations really appreciated.

Merged the two threads in the correct forum section.

49Q80T is a cut down 60hz TV compared to the same TV at larger sizes. 49XG9005 is therefore the better overall TV with a 120hz panel at this size.

Q80T is also a higher priced 2020 model, with a 1 year warranty. Whilst the 49XG9005 is a discounted 2018 model (sold in 2019 also) with an extended warranty. No brainer for the Sony.

Has to be said there's poor value at 49" compared to 55". 55" versions of the same TV sometimes even end up selling for less money than the 49" versions. This may be useful in the future if you do prefer a Samsung.

Merged the two threads in the correct forum section.

49Q80T is a cut down 60hz TV compared to the same TV at larger sizes. 49XG9005 is therefore the better overall TV with a 120hz panel at this size.

Q80T is also a higher priced 2020 model, with a 1 year warranty. Whilst the 49XG9005 is a discounted 2018 model (sold in 2019 also) with an extended warranty. No brainer for the Sony.

Has to be said there's poor value at 49" compared to 55". 55" versions of the same TV sometimes even end up selling for less money than the 49" versions. This may be useful in the future if you do prefer a Samsung.

Many thanks - I appreciate the input. If I could fit a 55” screen in the available space for my TV I would do, but I’m stuck with 49”.
The only positive I can see for the Samsung (as I can get it for £799) is the upscaling is supposed to be best-in-class, but I think the positives for the Sony outweigh that.

Any particular use case scenarios where you'll actually use upscaling? Most people nowadays already upscale content before it reaches the TV.

Besides, Sony's upscaling is up there with Samsung's. I don't think either can be considered the best.

The only use cases I can think of will be watching some standard definition content via sky, and a few DVD’s.
I do think the motion handling of the Sony is a plus too, so am leaning towards that

Last question - is £799 for the Sony 49XG9005 a good price, or do you think the XH9505 will drop that far at Black Friday (currently available for £999)

With Sky Q you place the upscaling step with the Sky box unless you manually want to change back and forth between different resolutions depending on what you watch. Everything, bottom up is handled before it reaches the TV making upscaling redundant.

Same is true with most Blu-Ray players, they output UHD already to the display, so upscaling is redundant unless you manually set the player to output the original resolution. Even the HD only players still upscale to 1080p.

I know some people benefit from better upscaling, but its something that is really overlooked in my opinion, a lot of people buy into it when they won't even use it!

£800 is about as low as a TV like the XG9005 or XH9505 will get, you'd probably be looking at waiting until next spring when the newer XH9505 enters clearance to get it for £800 though. Prices on small TVs don't shift quite the same as the larger models.

I started a similar thread asking the same question back in May. I went for the Sony 49 XG9005 upgrade from a 2012 32inch Samsung the difference is amazing you won’t be disappointed.
Looking on price tracking websites the xg9005 hit £799 last Black Friday so the XH9505 might also but not sure and I don’t think anyone can answer that just a case of wait and see but then you might not find an XG in stock.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom