Samsung QE43Q65A (2021) QLED HDR 4K any good??

p4ddy

Standard Member
Looking at this TV but no idea if it's any good. I get told by Samsung that 2021 model TV's do not support BBC iPlayer, itv hub etc then Samsung also say they do support these services. I can get a discount on the TV but once I do the money is tied to that shop if I return the item so I need to be 500% sure it's the right TV. I also don't like the new corner location for the logo. Yea a little thing but something that annoys the crap out of me.
We can't go bigger than 43in or the screen will overhang the unit. 43 in is the max we need. Our current TV is 40in and is plenty big enough and looks nicely balanced with our unit.

archie2000

I've got a Samsung QE50Q60A which is a 2021 model and that certainly supports BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub, All4 and My5.

p4ddy

Standard Member
I've got a Samsung QE50Q60A which is a 2021 model and that certainly supports BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub, All4 and My5.
Thanks. Not sure why a Samsung rep told me otherwise?? Ah well. So is the TV any good? You happy with the 50in ?

archie2000

Thanks. Not sure why a Samsung rep told me otherwise?? Ah well. So is the TV any good? You happy with the 50in ?
I'm delighted with it, yes! I came from a 43" HD to the 50" and that alone was worth the upgrade.
Some will tell you that to get the best from any 4k TV, you need to go 55" or more, but if like me, and you, you can't go any bigger, then you have no choice. I guess it depends on your viewing distance from the screen. I'm sat at just under 2.5m from our wall mounted screen.

I've just looked this up on the John Lewis website, and it says this in the blurb
Samsung TVPlus
Experience easy access to the latest movies via your TV guide in addition to all your traditional TV channels. Whether you’re browsing for the latest Hollywood blockbuster or trying to find Ultra HD content, expand your viewing options through a wealth of additional Smart channels with Samsung TV Plus. Watch subscription free content with on-air and catch-up services including BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub, All 4 and My5. Charges apply for premium on-demand content.

p4ddy

Standard Member
12ft and 8ft but a 50in would look a bit cumbersome on our unit in the corner. I see that on JL site but it was because the rep said 2021 models don't support those as of yet. But as yours does then alls good.

archie2000

12ft and 8ft but a 50in would look a bit cumbersome on our unit in the corner. I see that on JL site but it was because the rep said 2021 models don't support those as of yet. But as yours does then alls good.
I get what you are saying about the overhang. I would be the same, my OCD would kick in 🤣

p4ddy

Standard Member
Lol, yea. Another ocd thing is the new logo position from center to bottom right corner.

archie2000

It did bother me at first, but I'm used to it now. I barely notice it as my soundbar sits just below it.

p4ddy

Standard Member
Still not got one as we're unable to view one. I won't buy one without testing one out as I've again read someone could not receive all the Freeview channels. Also people are saying the sound is extremely bad. But they said that about our current TV and I adjusted the setting and it got extremely loud. But that ones supposed to be really really tinnie. I don't want to be forced into buying a sound bar. If I pay £600 for a TV I want it to work as it should. Until I can actually view and test one I will continue to watch a smashed screen

jonjames

I've just got a Q60a and receive all freeview channels. I run mine through my avr and the sound is fine, not tested internal speakers.

Picture quality is excellent and a big step up from my KU6000.

p4ddy

Standard Member
Ok, new 65A arrived, set it up, yep has all the Freeview channels. Images online showed it having only a satellite type aerial connection so walked to b&q and bought an adaptor. Bloody thing has both connections on the back 🙄. Seems to have a reddish hue which I need to try and adjust. Did try but no real difference. Sound is absolutely horendous compared to our old Samsung which also has way more sound adjustment options. Maybe there are some hidden ones on this TV that I haven't found yet? . Feel forced into buying a sound bar 🤬. TV itself looks stylish imo. Size wise it's spot on, any larger would be taking the piss. Here's a shot of our old and new together.

p4ddy

Standard Member
Might be getting rid and getting a Sony instead? Our old Samsung knocks spots of this new 4k thing. Sound is sh*t, better picture on the old one (1080p). Was just watching love it or list it and the picture flashes when panning, flashes when changing scene. Tried another channel and it was even worse. Formula 1 looked like 240p. Dave is Shyte. Tennis on BBC looked fine though, football looks fine also. News looks ok. If our original CRT had of been this size and working I would take that over this everytime.

p4ddy

Standard Member
Picture flash example, the advert with two biddies laughing on a beach looking at a mobile phone, has horrendous flashing as the scene sloooowly pans. The wife could see it too.I mean it's REALLY bad. Whilst watching YouTube my eyes saw extreme picture flicker, ok when looking at the screen look at the control and it was strobing.

jonjames

@p4ddy

Did you swap your tv in the end? I sent my q60a back as it had terrible light bleed and the blacks were grey. The colour was fine but when watching a film with black bars it was so off putting.

I went for the Sony x89j in the end and it is a huge improvement, black is black, the detail you can see in dark scenes is so good. Contrast is about 6300:1. HDR looks really impressive too even with max nits of around 550. Some bright parts make you squint. Nice to have Dolby Vision too.

Overall the Sony is way better I think, build quality, operating system etc etc.

877A4067-06E9-4037-A772-E3C35D83592F.jpeg
D4F0CAFD-2FC2-4CCB-A693-CB964A27F4A1.jpeg

p4ddy

Standard Member
@p4ddy

Did you swap your tv in the end? I sent my q60a back as it had terrible light bleed and the blacks were grey. The colour was fine but when watching a film with black bars it was so off putting.

I went for the Sony x89j in the end and it is a huge improvement, black is black, the detail you can see in dark scenes is so good. Contrast is about 6300:1. HDR looks really impressive too even with max nits of around 550. Some bright parts make you squint. Nice to have Dolby Vision too.

Overall the Sony is way better I think, build quality, operating system etc etc.
I didn't no. I faffed around with settings and managed to stop it all happening. I haven't noticed any light bleed as of yet and my ears have gotten used to the Sound for most viewing. The only thing that put me off the Sony was it being android, getting sick everything wanting to know everything about our private lives. But at the time of my post I was well p155ed off lol

jonjames

Yeah it was awful. Even richer sounds were shocked by it. That second pic is supposed to be an evenly black screen. I tested the same on my new tv and it’s jet black all over.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805 D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom