Samsung Q9fn. Where does the Sky Q channel list come from?

Chrisgixer

Hi

Where does the tv get the info for the channel list? So select tv, and press the channel button. A menu list appears on the right hand edge of the screen and you move the channel button up and down to scroll up and down the list. Where does that info come from?

reason I ask, is I get this info when using sky. Which is so much easier, when it works. And you guessed it, it’s not working.

It was intermittent with sky plus, but now we have sky q I have only seen it 3 times in as many months. If the channel info comes via the aerial in, then I don’t see how it can work at all, as the aerial is not connected currently, and sky cables do not go to the tv they go to they sky box. So where does it get the channel list info from? Internet? Dish? Aerial? Whatever it’s not working and when it does it last 5 mins and disappears.

me no undystandy.

Chrisgixer

And neither does anyone else by the looks

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Your TV gets the TV guide list from your Sky Q box via the HDMI connection.
If you don't have an aerial connected why not just keep your set switched to whatever input the Q box is connected to and use the Sky guide via the Q remote?

Chrisgixer

Hi Thankyou for your reply and also apologies my second post reads a bit grumpy it was a quick fire from my mobile

Er yes that’s what we are having to do. Thing is it’s a pain swapping remotes and I much prefer the Samsung one. It’s so much easier just scrolling up and down and it picks out your favourite/most used channels and stops on them anyway. Bish bash bosh.

and besides, the damn thing should work! No?

try another cable maybe? Or a setting perhaps?

Chrisgixer

Although I’m not talking about the guide, the full out page epg

I mean the channel list. Numbered 1to however many one above the other etc just to be sure we are the right page...?

Chrisgixer

Does it need an arc socket ?

Chrisgixer

Hmmm just jiggled the scart socket and now getting intermittent appearances from the channel list. Will look further when seven worlds in uhd is over, on iPlayer. Wow

The sky box and the TV channel lists are completely separate the sky box has its own channel list that solely generated by the satellite connection and its internet connection and the TV has a channel list that generated via the aerial connection if you have it connected,
The sky remote is capable of controlling your TVs basic functions and the TV remote is supposed to be capable of controlling other components but not sure about sky Q.

Chrisgixer

Chrisgixer

No aerial connected so it’s got to be getting the list by hdmi

Are you talking about the sky channel list or free-view? if free-view the set will have the basic channel list already programmed it just gets populated with any changes one an aerial connection is made.

Chrisgixer

The free view channel list works when you Push (not press, to be clear) the channel button up or down

this sometimes works in the exact same way with sky Q. But rarely

Chrisgixer

When you PRESS the channel button on free view you get the free view EPG guide

this used to work in the exact same way on sky PLUS. Pressing does not work at all on SkyQ. Nothing happens

only when you push thechannel button up or down will it sometimes give the channel list menu on the right side if the screen. Rarely works actually.

Chrisgixer

B383DF11-D903-4593-BEDC-DC8D596B638A.jpeg

Chrisgixer

Pic of the menu in question right hand side. Anyone got this working with sky q?

Chrisgixer

So are we saying it needs an aerial connected? For sky q?

Chrisgixer

Just for info if anyone needs it in future. Swapped the hdmi cable over, to the one that came with sky plus I think, and the SkyQ channel guide now works. As do the favourites in the smart hub, all be it without the channel icons.
Pressing the channel button for sky q home page, still does not work though.

Chrisgixer

Working today, with update 1290
Set channel speed selection to low seems to help but might be my imagination.
Home,sources,universal remote, select sky, quick channel change, select slow. ....seems to allow the channel guide time to work before the q software kicks in.

anyway, all working. 👍

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom