Samsung Q9FN surround sound system?

DavidMichael88

Novice Member
Hi folks, I’ve been lurking for a while now but am now hoping the community may be able to help me.

I am new to home cinema and am looking to purchase a surround sound system.
I got myself a Samsung QE55Q9FN in 2019 but am now looking for a surround system.

The TV has a OneConnect box. Do I still require a receiver with this?
Am I correct in thinking that the TV doesn’t support Dolby Atmos and with that in mind am I better going for a 5.1 system?

modes the Q9FN NEED the one connect or can this be replaced by an receiver.

Any help in suggesting a system which performs well but offers good value for money would be great.

Mike

gibbsy

Welcome to the Forum.

You will not be able to connect the five speakers and subwoofer required for surround sound directly to the TV. You will need an AV amp or receiver to achieve this as well as five speakers and active subwoofer.

If the TV doesn't support Atmos then a connection to the AV amp by either ARC or digital optical will get you audio from the TV. If you have a Sky box or blu ray player then these will be connected directly to the AV amp.

The main thing though is the position of the TV relative to the seating area. Surround sound will not work effectively if you have the TV in a corner. It needs to be in the middle of a wall so that speakers can be placed correctly. A photograph or plan of room would be more than helpful here.

Then there is the tricky question of how deep are your pockets.

DavidMichael88

Novice Member
Thanks for the reply gibbsy, much appreciated.
I’ve attached two photos below, it isn’t the biggest room, my biggest problem will be where to put an AVR, I may need to think about a new unit. As you can see there are little fingers everywhere but that’s another challenge
I may be blaspheming but I’m currently using my PS5 to play movies.

Budget will be around £800-£1000.

image.jpg
image.jpg

razy60

I’ve attached two photos below, it isn’t the biggest room, my biggest problem will be where to put an AVR, I may need to think about a new unit. As you can see there are little fingers everywhere but that’s another challenge

Given your situation and the fact there are inquiring hands you could consider a soundbar and attach it to the wall below the TV, some of the decent retailers have got offers on, I saw one with a Atmos soundbar and wireless sub for under £500.
As for the PS5 your penance is to read all your owners manuals.😇

Jester1066

View attachment 1514161View attachment 1514163
Hi Firstly I also have little fingers to take into account, but have managed to implement a 5.2.4 system.... So it can be done!

A few further questions if I may:

What's the dimensions of the room?
Will the system be used mainly for movies, music or a combination of the 2?
Are you looking to buy new or happy with second hand gear?
Given your budget, second hand will most likely get you better "bang for your buck". With the trade off being you (rarely get warranties) vs new gear.

Buying a "bundle deal" from the likes of Richersounds, Peter Tyson, Sevenoaks etc, can sometimes garner a further discount. RS for example usually offer a "system discount" if you buy an AVR & speakers together.

I would definitely take the time to book an audition at one of the above stores if possible and to discuss you basic requirements. There's sooo many choices & variables at play when choosing a system. For example, speaker choice is very subjective and you should listen to any prospective choices before purchase if possible.

As a general rule of thumb. I wouldn't buy the packaged subwoofers that come in a speaker pack. This is usually the weak link and better, cheaper options for subwoofers are available from dedicated sub manufacturers such as BK Electric, SVS & Rel. You can simply ask any dealer to sell you the 5 speakers, without the matching sub.

Happy to help further if needed.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom