Samsung Q9FN QLED Owners and Discussion Thread

AVRAG

Netflix has never been supported via the native app mate, i never actually said it was, i just mentioned they use the same audio container :smashin: , but this isn't a codec compatibility issue but rather the fact Netflix made a decision to not support it. Plug say a firestick 4k into the TV and atmos from netflix will happily be passed back over ARC. As will atmos from sky Q, Virgin V6 and any other box which sends the atmos metadata within the DD+ container.

Which is kind of why it works, the TV cannot differentiate between DD+ 5.1 and DD+lossy atmos, all the relevant data is held within the container which the TV cannot see, only the AVR when it unpacks and decodes

Anyway the question was regarding atmos from amazon, which was supported via the native app, but they have appeared to have pulled the lossy atmos stream from all my devices, so in this instance I do not think it is a TV issue

cheers
Are you kidding me? So if I plug a source in like a Firestick it will pass through an Atmos signal to AVR? SUCK ME SIDEWAYS!

Would this be the same case plugging a Blu Ray player straight into TV and passing through to AVR too?

Saying that, the Xbox One X doesn't pass it's Atmos signal through TV to AVR. Or have I missed something completely?

chopples

Distinguished Member
Are you kidding me? So if I plug a source in like a Firestick it will pass through an Atmos signal to AVR? SUCK ME SIDEWAYS!

Would this be the same case plugging a Blu Ray player straight into TV and passing through to AVR too?

Saying that, the Xbox One X doesn't pass it's Atmos signal through TV to AVR. Or have I missed something completely?
Yeah it will mate :smashin:. Blu-ray Netflix app should do if it outputs DD+ and Netflix have enabled it. but obvs not disks.

Xbox does not, neither does the ATV4K but this is due to the decoding being done on the connected device and not the avr. The signal used here is multichannel PCM with metadata (Dolby MAT). ARC can only handle 2 channel PCM

Edit... Actually mate this thread suggests Netflix have not enabled Atmos on the firestick so apols for that, but the general point kind of stands, if the source supports Atmos in DD+ then the TV can pass it

Last edited:

AVRAG

Yeah it will mate :smashin:. Blu-ray Netflix app should do if it outputs DD+ and Netflix have enabled it. but obvs not disks.

Xbox does not, neither does the ATV4K but this is due to the decoding being done on the connected device and not the avr. The signal used here is multichannel PCM with metadata (Dolby MAT). ARC can only handle 2 channel PCM

Edit... Actually mate this thread suggests Netflix have not enabled Atmos on the firestick so apols for that, but the general point kind of stands, if the source supports Atmos in DD+ then the TV can pass it

Ohhhh but only if the source is being sent DD+? If it is being sent as Atmos from source it won't?

Thanks for that. Didn't know that but certainly will be playing with devices and looking to see if Disney+ send that way through other devices. Cheers.

danmc_82

Distinguished Member
@chopples Is this why I cant get my AV reciever to show Atmos when playing Disney+? It just shows as DD+ instead. I have my Sky box connected via HDMI to the Amp so not using ARC.

chopples

Distinguished Member
@chopples Is this why I cant get my AV reciever to show Atmos when playing Disney+? It just shows as DD+ instead. I have my Sky box connected via HDMI to the Amp so not using ARC.
Disney plus is a strange one, they don't carry 4k SDR streams, also they only carry Atmos within their top stream (this was why it was missing due to coronavirus restrictions) Atmos is carried via the DD+ with container with disney but like Netflix they also have an additional 5.1 DD+ stream which also adds to the confusion.

I have a theory that Disney only carry Atmos on devices which support Dolby Vision, for example it does not work on my 2015 shield but it is working on the new one.

Ignoring Disney plus for a moment, If you watch an Atmos movie on sky q 4k box connected to the TV, Atmos will engage when using ARC. If the TV is set to standard DD it will not auto switch though, you would need to go into and select DD+ whilst it is playing.

A Samsung 2019 owner questioned this and received a list of supported devices, surprise surprise they all support DV

Screenshot_20200731_081212_com.android.chrome.jpg

danmc_82

Distinguished Member
Disney plus is a strange one, they don't carry 4k SDR streams, also they only carry Atmos within their top stream (this was why it was missing due to coronavirus restrictions) Atmos is carried via the DD+ with container with disney but like Netflix they also have an additional 5.1 DD+ stream which also adds to the confusion.

I have a theory that Disney only carry Atmos on devices which support Dolby Vision, for example it does not work on my 2015 shield but it is working on the new one.

Ignoring Disney plus for a moment, If you watch an Atmos movie on sky q 4k box connected to the TV, Atmos will engage when using ARC. If the TV is set to standard DD it will not auto switch though, you would need to go into and select DD+ whilst it is playing.

A Samsung 2019 owner questioned this and received a list of supported devices, surprise surprise they all support DV

View attachment 1342868
Thanks for that, very useful.

So looks like I'll never get the full benefit of Disney+ unless the TV supports DV?

chopples

Distinguished Member
Thanks for that, very useful.

So looks like I'll never get the full benefit of Disney+ unless the TV supports DV?
That is an assumption my behalf mate, but it does seem like that's the case, never say never though and as the service expands its possible support could arrive.

Much like Netflix in the past there is nothing actually stopping them adding support. Netflix was the same and initially only supported DV devices but that changed with 2019 Samsungs. I think one of the reasons why providers where reluctant to add support though is down to Tizen and how it historically handled audio. It was not capable of auto switching, if you set it to say DD left it with that setting and then watched something with DD+ it would fall back to stereo PCM.You can switch it to DD+ manually and it works the problem with this is it would then stick with this setting,meaning if you where then watching normal DD then that would then output as stereo PCM, until you then manually went into the sound output settings and switch it back. The 2019 Samsung's added an Atmos toggle , presumably to facilitate this switching and I guess some providers could not be bothered with explaining the complexities behind Samsung's audio handling so just never bothered adding support

It can be proven though that both 2017 and 2018 Samsung's can pass Atmos within DD+. The Amazon app did support atmos and if you where to plug a firestick in to the TV all the services it supports will happily pass over ARC. Likewise both virgin V6 and sky q also pass Atmos over ARC with their own broadcast/on demand material

danmc_82

Distinguished Member
It can be proven though that both 2017 and 2018 Samsung's can pass Atmos within DD+. The Amazon app did support atmos and if you where to plug a firestick in to the TV all the services it supports will happily pass over ARC. Likewise both virgin V6 and sky q also pass Atmos over ARC with their own broadcast/on demand material
Is the way around it then to use ARC back to receiver or will that only provide me DD+ again?

rodd1000

Anyone else having problems with the YouTube app? The thumbnails to the videos never seem to load unless a reinstall the app every single time I use it. Had the TV a year now and it’s always been the same. Nothing wrong with my connection as I’m on 75mb Ethernet. Driving me around the twist. My daughter has a £200 JVC smart TV in her room and never has a problem with YT. Seems mind boggling that a 2.5k TV can’t get it right.

chopples

Distinguished Member
Is the way around it then to use ARC back to receiver or will that only provide me DD+ again?
For what mate? disney on sky q does not support atmos does it?

Best way to explain this is for you to just test it yourself. I assume you have the 4K sky box and it currently setup for atmos? Plug it into the TV and using ARC play a 4k atmos enabled movie such as baby driver, whilst playing the movie enter the sound options on the TV, DD+ should no longer be greyed out, select it. assuming Your kit is set to direct your amps atmos notification should light up

The TV handles DD+ with atmos in the exact same way as DD+ with 5.1. The TV just passes through the audio Within the container. It has no idea what’s held within

If a device is plugged into and AVR and is outputting atmos in a DD+ container then it will work over ARC if Plugged into the TV.

chopples

Distinguished Member
Anyone else having problems with the YouTube app? The thumbnails to the videos never seem to load unless a reinstall the app every single time I use it. Had the TV a year now and it’s always been the same. Nothing wrong with my connection as I’m on 75mb Ethernet. Driving me around the twist. My daughter has a £200 JVC smart TV in her room and never has a problem with YT. Seems mind boggling that a 2.5k TV can’t get it right.
Hi mate, yes this is common if YouTube gets used a lot, a workaround is to long press power on the one remote to force the TV into a reboot, this should flush the cache and YouTube will work again

rodd1000

Hi mate, yes this is common if YouTube gets used a lot, a workaround is to long press power on the one remote to force the TV into a reboot, this should flush the cache and YouTube will work again
Thanks mate, that does make sense as YT does get hammered with all the family. I’ll give the reboot a go. Cheers.

danmc_82

Distinguished Member
For what mate? disney on sky q does not support atmos does it?

Best way to explain this is for you to just test it yourself. I assume you have the 4K sky box and it currently setup for atmos? Plug it into the TV and using ARC play a 4k atmos enabled movie such as baby driver, whilst playing the movie enter the sound options on the TV, DD+ should no longer be greyed out, select it. assuming Your kit is set to direct your amps atmos notification should light up

The TV handles DD+ with atmos in the exact same way as DD+ with 5.1. The TV just passes through the audio Within the container. It has no idea what’s held within

If a device is plugged into and AVR and is outputting atmos in a DD+ container then it will work over ARC if Plugged into the TV.
Had a little play earlier and using the Disney+ app on the tv I get 4k and HDR10 which is great. :smashin:

I still can only get DD+ though. Ive connected my AMP to the ARC HDMI and activated DD+ on the tv menu when playing a film but Dolby Atmos still wont show.

pops107

How can you tell yours getting hdr10
Is there a way I can see what is been in put to the TV

dots999

Had a little play earlier and using the Disney+ app on the tv I get 4k and HDR10 which is great. :smashin:

I still can only get DD+ though. Ive connected my AMP to the ARC HDMI and activated DD+ on the tv menu when playing a film but Dolby Atmos still wont show.
Disney plus defo don't send Atmos on their Samsung app

pops107

Sorry should of explained my self better

Is there different types of HDR ie: HDR, HDR10, HDR10+ can you tell what your seeing ?

Or am I getting missed up

AVRAG

Sorry should of explained my self better

Is there different types of HDR ie: HDR, HDR10, HDR10+ can you tell what your seeing ?

Or am I getting missed up
This TV can get standard HDR10, HDR10+ and HLG (Hybrid Log Gamma). It doesn't tell you which one though, it just switches to HDR mode and is displayed as I have already shown.

pops107

Hi

Thanks I was trying to find out of you could tell if your getting what they say you do if you no what I mean

HDR10+ is that only on Amazon prime at the moment

morgin187

Standard Member
I’m in the uk I’ve been trying to get it to work. Right now changing the Extention of the file to exe to see if that helps

chopples

Distinguished Member
I’m in the uk I’ve been trying to get it to work. Right now changing the Extention of the file to exe to see if that helps
If not on Windows you can extract the exe and put the t-m(modelnumber) folder on the root of a usb stick but it will not work as ntsc region sets use a slightly different firmware compared to pal ones, you are just wasting your time mate :smashin:

morgin187

Standard Member
If not on Windows you can extract the exe and put the t-m(modelnumber) folder on the root of a usb stick but it will not work as ntsc region sets use a slightly different firmware compared to pal ones, you are just wasting your time mate :smashin:
thanks pal I’ll stop trying then. I just want Samsung to give us vrr like they said they would

chopples

Distinguished Member
thanks pal I’ll stop trying then. I just want Samsung to give us vrr like they said they would
give It a week or so and it should be available over here, usually hits one of the euro sites first such as Samsung.fr. The TV already has vrr though? What is it Specifically you need?

The latest video from AVForums

The Best Movies and TV Shows Coming to Netflix in November 2020: Tom's Thumbs.

Latest News

Tom's Thumbs: What is coming to Netflix in November 2020
  • By AVForums
  • Published
Melco anniversary edition N10 library announced
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Disney+ UK for November 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Denon, Marantz and Yamaha AV receivers hit by HDMI 2.1 bug
  • By Andy Bassett