Samsung Q9FN QLED Owners and Discussion Thread

Head on , there is nothing to be seen. Perfect.

ANY VA Panel will look 'bad' from the side, show issues that 'aren't' really there, make colours look bad, make blooming/bleed/haloing appear as if it's a 'cheap' and badly designed TV - that's JUST the way the panel is. You have to watch these in particular within their viewing angle range - which is quite narrow compared to IPS LEDs (that can't do great, HDR quality blacks) or OLEDs.

If you can't see any issue within the viewing angle, and at a 'reasonable' viewing distance, then you have a 'keeper' and DO NOT GO LOOKING FOR ISSUES as NO TV is completely 'PERFECT' if you scrutinise them too closely!

ANY VA Panel will look 'bad' from the side, show issues that 'aren't' really there, make colours look bad, make blooming/bleed/haloing appear as if it's a 'cheap' and badly designed TV - that's JUST the way the panel is. You have to watch these in particular within their viewing angle range - which is quite narrow compared to IPS LEDs (that can't do great, HDR quality blacks) or OLEDs.

If you can't see any issue within the viewing angle, and at a 'reasonable' viewing distance, then you have a 'keeper' and DO NOT GO LOOKING FOR ISSUES as NO TV is completely 'PERFECT' if you scrutinise them too closely!

I agree that I feel like I've won the panel lottery with this one. I never got a TV This good so wasn't sure what normal. Like you said , within the viewing angle the TV is perfect.

Thank you for the reassuring reply :)

Found this really helpful when it came to calibrating my TV using the source you link to. Thank you.
My brightness wanted to be at 3 to see bar76 flash - however when actually watching content it just made the whole image feel very washed, so I reduced down to 1 manually which made content appear closer to what I would expect the image should be.

My contrast is 41 too as it allowed all colours including white to flash above 1000 - my red was way off all the others and was not appearing anywhere near even 1000, so this helped bring that closer.
Im sure I will keep tinkering which will help me learn more, but I think I've got mine as close as I'm realistically going to get without technology aiding me. Interesting to see my settings turned out very similar to yours.

Glad you found it useful. Some notes:

1) To see bar 76 flash you have to be in a very dark room and up close to the TV. A luminence of 0.04 nits is v v low and depends on your eyesight.
2) I played around with 2 point white balance to remove the pink tinge on Greyscale steps (AVS) & 10% white clipping (HDR10). Red Gain at -14 did the trick and also gave Red one more bar on the HDR colour clipping test. BUT, I am pretty sure its the wrong thing to do by eye and has probably messed up the white balance (although i could see no discernible difference in Blue/Green levels. I'm going to take Red gain to -10 and stick with it.
3) Using the 2 point white balance I can get the Blue, Green & Red to match levels on the AVS Colour clipping test by reducing Red Gain & increasing Blue Gain. But then the pink on Greyscale comes back .......

Really need a meter & software for this.

Glad you found it useful. Some notes:

1) To see bar 76 flash you have to be in a very dark room and up close to the TV. A luminence of 0.04 nits is v v low and depends on your eyesight.
2) I played around with 2 point white balance to remove the pink tinge on Greyscale steps (AVS) & 10% white clipping (HDR10). Red Gain at -14 did the trick and also gave Red one more bar on the HDR colour clipping test. BUT, I am pretty sure its the wrong thing to do by eye and has probably messed up the white balance (although i could see no discernible difference in Blue/Green levels. I'm going to take Red gain to -10 and stick with it.
3) Using the 2 point white balance I can get the Blue, Green & Red to match levels on the AVS Colour clipping test by reducing Red Gain & increasing Blue Gain. But then the pink on Greyscale comes back .......

Really need a meter & software for this.
Ah. Thanks for that! It seems we are having 2 conversations at once! :laugh:

That will explain why on my white tests the flashing bars are slightly pinkish too. Too much red. As you say, I think I'll leave it for now so not to accidentally mess with other colours or settings. There were too many tests within the folders than I can wrap my head around at the moment, so I'll do some more reading and come back at a later date.

Keep us posted if you continue to tinker and find anything else out. It appears judging by what you're describing, our sets may be similar in terms of their out of box settings.

I noticed on the advanced greyscale tests the bars started to shift/dance at first and were a bit steppy, but on the brights the colour managed to stay consistent. I guess that is a reflection on how hard the local dimming is working and how well the brights do on this particular TV?

Last edited:
Can anyone help...which is the right no gap wall mount for the 2018 Q9F 55" TV. I'm seeing multiple such as

WMN-M22EA and WMN-M23EA - pretty sure these are ONLY for 75" TVs.

WMN-M13EA - seems to be tailored for 49-65" 2018 models.

However, this is circa £130 so wondering if anyone has tried a 2017 bracket on a 2018 TV? They look near identical.

Last edited:
If you can let us know how you got it for £1499 then I think I’m in to buy one!

It was Electronic Empire, they had it up at that price for a week, but it must now be sold out as its not showing on the website I've just checked.

Sorry.

It was Electronic Empire, they had it up at that price for a week, but it must now be sold out as its not showing on the website I've just checked.

Sorry.
Ok, no worries. I went to Richer Sounds yesterday and got one for £1699. So far so good.....(wife says it's too big..........)

Hi all,

Been a cpl of week now with my Q9f and seeing more and more DSE but I dont no what's bad as not really seen it before on any TV.

My old KS I would say had a slight bit but that's it never ever caused a problem.

The other thing I am Notitia odd colours in grey sky or clouds on few things especially grand tour in 4k HDR on Amazon, it's like your get purple, and green shades in what should be different shades of grey anybody had this.

Should I get a replacement with it been in my first month ??

See pics
IMG_20190227_210019.jpg
IMG_20190227_210302.jpg
IMG_20190227_210019.jpg
IMG_20190227_210302.jpg
IMG_20190227_210019.jpg
IMG_20190227_210302.jpg

Last edited:
Hi all,

Been a cpl of week now with my Q9f and seeing more and more DSE but I dont no what's bad as not really seen it before on any TV.

My old KS I would say had a slight bit but that's it never ever caused a problem.

The other thing I am Notitia odd colours in grey sky or clouds on few things especially grand tour in 4k HDR on Amazon, it's like your get purple, and green shades in what should be different shades of grey anybody had this.

Should I get a replacement with it been in my first month ??
Yes .

hi ... got my 65" Q9fn yesterday and the first thing I tried doing was connecting the TV to my 5ghz WiFi band as I have my TVs and consoles connected to this band leaving 2.4ghz for cellphones, laptops and guests.

I could not see the 5ghz ssid in the available WiFi list (my cheapie LG uj630 is able to connect to a 5ghz band .. so I'd think Samsung would cater for this) ... so whilst not a biggie I am just curious if this TV does have a 802.1ac WiFi radio or not (supporting 5ghz band)

hi ... got my 65" Q9fn yesterday and the first thing I tried doing was connecting the TV to my 5ghz WiFi band as I have my TVs and consoles connected to this band leaving 2.4ghz for cellphones, laptops and guests.

I could not see the 5ghz ssid in the available WiFi list (my cheapie LG uj630 is able to connect to a 5ghz band .. so I'd think Samsung would cater for this) ... so whilst not a biggie I am just curious if this TV does have a 802.1ac WiFi radio or not (supporting 5ghz band)

I have mine connected ok to 5ghz wifi. The router is right next to the TV though. My signal strength is not great and the 5Ghz is pretty much unusable in the kitchen. Could it be a signal strength issue?

I have mine connected ok to 5ghz wifi. The router is right next to the TV though. My signal strength is not great and the 5Ghz is pretty much unusable in the kitchen. Could it be a signal strength issue?

thanks for the reply

I have a Ubiquiti networking solution so have 100% signal on the 5ghz band going to the consoles and TV above it. I just got off the phone with the local Samsung technical support and they have confirmed all their TVs work off the 2.4ghz band ... could be a regional limitiaiton (I'm in South Africa). Why this is so I have no idea ... either way getting 58mbps on the 2.4ghz band is more than good enough for any 4k streaming needs

Got my 55" on Tuesday and so far loving it. Some DSE but trying not to let it spoil my enjoyment. And I still need to delve into the settings to play around and in particular to get the brightness/backlight dialed down a bit and more fitting for my room...PS4 (not Pro :( ) looks very good on it.

But, one annoying thing (for me at least) is that every time you "exit" something, eg. Program Guide, App, Settings etc, it always pops up the Smart Hub across bottom of the screen. I looked through settings and couldn't see an obvious setting related to this. Is it possible to have it just to exit back to, for example, the TV channel without the Smart Hub popping up...?

Got my 55" on Tuesday and so far loving it. Some DSE but trying not to let it spoil my enjoyment. And I still need to delve into the settings to play around and in particular to get the brightness/backlight dialed down a bit and more fitting for my room...PS4 (not Pro :( ) looks very good on it.

But, one annoying thing (for me at least) is that every time you "exit" something, eg. Program Guide, App, Settings etc, it always pops up the Smart Hub across bottom of the screen. I looked through settings and couldn't see an obvious setting related to this. Is it possible to have it just to exit back to, for example, the TV channel without the Smart Hub popping up...?

Hi
I am not sat in front of mine now so can not check but I think if you press the home bottom on the smart remote it goes straight of and you don't have to wait for it.

New Q9FN owner since Monday (the OLED C8 had to go back due to the macro blocking issue), and I'm struggling to understand the movie modes (or maybe I do, and they are working as designed...) but if I understand correctly HDR content will default to Movie Picture Mode with the HDR symbol displayed, and everything else defaults to regular Movie Picture Mode (SDR).

If this is correct, then it means that regardless of whether I am watching a film on UK NowTV (720p), Amazon (1080p), Bluray via PS4 or Netflix HD they will all default to SDR Movie Picture Mode. I also have Blade Runner 2049 UHD purchased through Amazon which defaults to SDR (although Solo UHD defaults to HDR).

I guess Samsung must think one size fits all, for NowTV (particularly recent episodes of The Walking Dead) I have found turning on Digital Clean View very useful to clear up some of the grainy/noisy backgrounds scenes, but I don't expect to need this switched on when I am watching HD 1080p content or 4K. Sure I can change the setting every time I use NowTV, but the wife will go crazy if I start changing settings every time we switch tv shows :-/

Am I missing something? Or is this simply working as designed and all of these contents are supposed to default to the same setting?

@21stCenturyCat Movie mode can be set 'differently' for EVERY port. You can also set 'Standard' mode differently for EVERY port and use this for having Digital Clean View on for low res content if you want.

If something is in HDR, as long as you are using Movie or Standard modes (not Natural or Dynamic), it should automatically switch to a HDR mode and the only way to 'calibrate' or adjust HDR settings is when it automatically switches on HDR with HDR content playing.

You can't have more than one Movie mode setting for each inbuilt app for example but you can change mode to Standard for example for low res content and stick with Movie mode for HD/UHD content.

Some people will use Standard for 'daytime' viewing and Movie mode for Night-time settings because you can have 'different' settings for each of these on each Port or for the in-built apps. if you wanted a different Movie mode for each HDMI Port, you can too (at least you can on a 2016 Samsung TV). Therefore you could have a setting for your PS4 and a different setting for a STB too.

@BAMozzy thanks mate, that makes sense. Apart from the PS4 all the apps I listed are inbuilt so I will follow your suggestion, and amend Standard to allow for digital processing/correction of the image (especially for NowTV which in the UK is 720p max but has a lot of good film content)

Hi

Can anyone help. Was about to purchase Q9fn 55 inch for my living room. Besides Netflix, movies etcI was going to have a PC hooked up to it and thought if it had chroma 4:4:4 then I would be fine. However I am struggling to find it on this model. I know its on the Q8 model. Can anyone shed any light on this thanks.

Hi Guys, just looking for a bit of advice

Took delivery of my 65Q9FN on Tuesday, and have just got around to having a proper look at it.

It appears there are about 3 perfectly square black (dead) pixels on the screen, with 1 stuck a shade of red, and about 3 more which aren't perfectly fully black squares, but maybe debris the size or maybe smaller than a pixel behind the screen.

Purchased from John Lewis and am thinking of returning. Is there a dead pixel policy on Samsungs, I am struggling to find anything up to date.

I just feel of the mindset that if im paying £2500 for a TV, it shouldn't really have dead pixels on delivery.

Thanks

Phill

Hi Guys, just looking for a bit of advice

Took delivery of my 65Q9FN on Tuesday, and have just got around to having a proper look at it.

It appears there are about 3 perfectly square black (dead) pixels on the screen, with 1 stuck a shade of red, and about 3 more which aren't perfectly fully black squares, but maybe debris the size or maybe smaller than a pixel behind the screen.

Purchased from John Lewis and am thinking of returning. Is there a dead pixel policy on Samsungs, I am struggling to find anything up to date.

I just feel of the mindset that if im paying £2500 for a TV, it shouldn't really have dead pixels on delivery.

Thanks

Phill
If they are dead or stuck pixels and 3 or 4 that is an immediate return.
I've returned 2 sets to RS on just one pixel being stuck.

Just give it a light massage with a microfiber cloth to make sure it's not dust after opening.

If they are dead or stuck pixels and 3 or 4 that is an immediate return.
I've returned 2 sets to RS on just one pixel being stuck.

Just give it a light massage with a microfiber cloth to make sure it's not dust after opening.
Same here... one stuck pixel was enough for a return

with an avr system in the loop do owners of the q9 or for that matter anyone with a one connect box have the TV connected to the amp (as usual on HDMI arc) and other devices like game consoles connected to the one connect box

or

have all devices connected to the avr instead of theone connect

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom