Samsung Q950TS QLED 8K TV Review

It defaults to the base static metadata HDR10 layer instead.
Good to know...also what happens with Atmos? If you access content via Apple TV into an Atmos soundbar will you still get it? (Sorry probably a stupid question).

I would be interested to see how quickly the prices drop on these; certainly has my attention as feedback on CX has been muted (same old; same old); I had an E6 65" yet experienced problems (banding/dead pixels etc) I could be tempted by the 75" Samsung though would really love the 85" yet would have to fall a lot first :(

Any indication as what the QE82Q800T might be like? Same number of zones?

Good to know...also what happens with Atmos? If you access content via Apple TV into an Atmos soundbar will you still get it? (Sorry probably a stupid question).

I would be interested to see how quickly the prices drop on these; certainly has my attention as feedback on CX has been muted (same old; same old); I had an E6 65" yet experienced problems (banding/dead pixels etc) I could be tempted by the 75" Samsung though would really love the 85" yet would have to fall a lot first :(

Zones are never the same in this series,i have Dolby Atmos over Netflix on q90r.

No Dolby Vision is a big mistake again by Samsung when Sony, LG, Panasonic all have it in their tv's.

Last edited:
I'm assuming this AI processing can't be turned off? Purists want a accurate picture of the filmmakers intention when watching a blu ray and 4K blu ray disc. :lease:

AI created formulas and filters applying noise reduction, edge restoration, texture creation and fine detail restoration. No thank you Samsung. :facepalm:

I will take a new 2020 Panasonic or LG television any day of the week. With Filmmaker mode to disable all the artificial junk. :thumbsup:

Zones are never the same in this series,i have Dolby Atmos over Netflix on q90r.

Hmmmm I guess we will have to wait for the reviews for the impact of less zones.

Will there be a 85" of the Q900T.

Be interesting to see this next to my 65GZ2000.

I will be a day one buyer of the new Xbox and PlayStation which is making look again this year.

Some question

1) How did 1080p content looked on the TV

2) Is the upscaling and processing better then Sony A9G?

I'm assuming this AI processing can't be turned off? Purists want a accurate picture of the filmmakers intention when watching a blu ray and 4K blu ray disc. :lease:

AI created formulas and filters applying noise reduction, edge restoration, texture creation and fine detail restoration. No thank you Samsung. :facepalm:

I will take a new 2020 Panasonic or LG television any day of the week. With Filmmaker mode to disable all the artificial junk. :thumbsup:

If you have a 4K tv you’re not being true to the creators intentions when viewing Blu rays...

Design looks nice and glad to hear about the new sound system.

Will this topple the OLEDs for overall picture quality? Will the FALD algorithm be relaxed to.make HDR pop and look more impactful than OLED? Will this win any shootouts this year?
Damn love the subtle toned down sarcasm .. Almost had me going!:D

Strange Business decision by Samsung consistently refusing to back Dolby Vision on their TV's. Akin to LG not backing HDR10+ which they'll never do with it being a Samsung Driven Format. But for me I would Never Buy a Samsung TV, No matter if MicroLed becomes the King of TV Tech in the future, due to their refusal to include DV. Particularly now more than ever with Dolby Vision gaining more & more traction as the No.1 defacto Dynamic HDR System. DV is growing week on week on 4k UHD Disc, Netflix and being used by the majority of Movie houses. Guess they feel it isn't impacting on Global Sales and Profit, allied with they don't want 3rd party Proprietary end to end Hardware in their TV's they can't control.

Maybe they think Dolby are in cahoots with the US Government:D

Not that Samsung give a jot about me or my opinions, but if in the next decade or so they get include DV then I'm all in.
Samsung wont even support bloody DTS audio on their onboard player! Nevermind Dolby Vision! A joke if you ask me

Samsung wont even support bloody DTS audio on their onboard player! Nevermind Dolby Vision! A joke if you ask me

Yet you have a Samsung tv... Dolby Vision or any other metadata format support is irrelevant. There’s a Panasonic lcd that technically supports all formats but it’s a lot poorer than your Samsung. Would you swap yours for a Panasonic GX800?

If you have a 4K tv you’re not being true to the creators intentions when viewing Blu rays...
:facepalm: Actually not true as directors (one's of integrity anyway) just want their film's to look as close to the mastered disc whether it's blu ray or 4k blu ray. Or viewed on a 1080p or 4K tv.

The new filmmakers mode was specifically made to ensure excessive modes like edge enhancement, noise reduction, detail enhancer etc are all automatically turned off blocked.

The upscaling of most 4K tv's of 1080p blu ray disc's is so good these days. It doesn't do anything artificial to the image as long as you turn off noise reduction, edge enhancement etc.

I took 2 things from this review. 1. Samsung wouldn't confirm the number of dimming zones. There's a surprise. Sneaky Samsung as usual. 2. No Film maker mode but Samsung say they will support it. Just like they said they would support eArc and other features on 2019 TV's and soundbars and still haven't delivered on the promise.

I just can’t bring myself to buy a TV without Dolby Vision, I own a load of movies on iTunes with DV and if a TV doesn’t support it I won’t be getting it, shame as everything else about this tv would have it at the top of my list.
Still while wait for Samsung to change my kids will hopefully grow out of trying to operate the tv like a giant iPad with their sticky fingers, so it’s probably for the best.

Yet you have a Samsung tv... Dolby Vision or any other metadata format support is irrelevant. There’s a Panasonic lcd that technically supports all formats but it’s a lot poorer than your Samsung. Would you swap yours for a Panasonic GX800?
Only found out about this the other day when I installed Emby on my TV and no sound was coming out for movies with DTS tracks which is like 95% of my library!! . I wasn't best pleased...:mad:

@Steve Withers

The One Connect box itself is really big, presumably to allow for cooling without resorting to noisy fans.

Are you sure there are no fans inside the OCB or the TV?
My returned Q900R had a noisy fan that was audible when watching regular tv.

There shouldn't be any moving parts inside a tv!

What is the numbers for contrast native and with fald?
Its nice to see they are not giving up from wide tech.....
Reflections handling is in level of last year or even better?....
In SDR with the local dimming on low (which actually turns it off) the native contrast ratio was 10,000:1, which is good for an LCD panel. The contrast ratio is infinite with the local dimming set to standard because the backlight is off.

I had a Q950R to compare the Q950TS with, and the reflections appeared to be the same as last year.

Yes, the Q950TS can pass the Atmos audio from the built-in apps back to a soundbar or AV receiver via ARC. In fact the Q950TS has eARC so it can send lossless audio back as well, which means you can also send Atmos from a Blu-ray player attached to the TV back to a soundbar or AV receiver.

Given the supply chain shocks caused by Covid19, I would expect actual numbers of new TVs to be in limited supply, which means I don't see prices falling at all. In fact you could even see the limited supplies of 2019 TVs start to rise in price to meet demand. Of course that's assuming the ecomonic impact of Covid19 doesn't cause a worldwide depression, in which case no one is going to be buying new TVs!

The Q800T will have less zones, but I don't know exactly how many.

The AI processing can't be turned off, but you need it because unless you're watching a native 8K source the Q950TS has to upscale the image to match the panel. It doesn't affect the filmmakers' intentions at all, and believe me it's incredibly effective. LG and Panasonic also use AI-enhanced processing (Alpha9 and HCX Pro), and Samsung will be adding a Filmmaker Mode to its 2020 TVs.

Some question

1) How did 1080p content looked on the TV

2) Is the upscaling and processing better then Sony A9G?
In answer to your first question, I discuss this at length in the review. As for your second, I think the upscaling and processing is better on the Q950TS.

Yes you are, there's a big difference between AI-enhanced upscaling and other features like noise reduction and contrast boosting, which do affect the content creators' original intentions. As long as the upscaling isn't also doing those other things as well, which the Q950TS isn't.

I took 2 things from this review. 1. Samsung wouldn't confirm the number of dimming zones. There's a surprise. Sneaky Samsung as usual. 2. No Film maker mode but Samsung say they will support it. Just like they said they would support eArc and other features on 2019 TV's and soundbars and still haven't delivered on the promise.
They won't publicly confirm the number of zones (neither do Sony), but I counted 488 which is the same as last year.

It was a pre-production sample I was testing, but Samsung has publicly stated that it will add Filmmaker Mode this year, and it's one of the initiative's supporting companies. It's hardly a big deal, the Filmmaker Mode will simply be a tweaked version of the Movie mode.

@Steve Withers

Are you sure there are no fans inside the OCB or the TV?
My returned Q900R had a noisy fan that was audible when watching regular tv.

There shouldn't be any moving parts inside a tv!
As far as I can tell there are no fans in the box (which is why it's so big) or the TV, I certainly couldn't hear any.

Yes, the Q950TS can pass the Atmos audio from the built-in apps back to a soundbar or AV receiver via ARC. In fact the Q950TS has eARC so it can send lossless audio back as well, which means you can also send Atmos from a Blu-ray player attached to the TV back to a soundbar or AV receiver.

Given the supply chain shocks caused by Covid19, I would expect actual numbers of new TVs to be in limited supply, which means I don't see prices falling at all. In fact you could even see the limited supplies of 2019 TVs start to rise in price to meet demand. Of course that's assuming the ecomonic impact of Covid19 doesn't cause a worldwide depression, in which case no one is going to be buying new TVs!

The Q800T will have less zones, but I don't know exactly how many.

Thanks for the replies.

Good points re:costs; i am certainly considering pushing my purchase until black Friday 2020.

I think on balance, most of my content is DV so the CX 77 or C9 77 (if a stellar deals come up) is perhaps the front runner.

In SDR with the local dimming on low (which actually turns it off) the native contrast ratio was 10,000:1, which is good for an LCD panel. The contrast ratio is infinite with the local dimming set to standard because the backlight is off.

I had a Q950R to compare the Q950TS with, and the reflections appeared to be the same as last year.
What is the best native ratio you mesured on lcd tv till now if you remember?
And i m curious if tv is handeling any better that Netflix strange aspect ratio black bars in compare to q90r?
I understand that Samsung put max efort in standard aspect black bars but would be nice that they take care about that Netflix aspect ratio.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom