Quantcast

Samsung Q950TS QLED 8K TV Review

MEGATAMA

I've often questioned the logic of 8K in the past, but I have to say that the upscaling on the Q950TS was something of a revelation. I know it can't add detail that isn't there, but watching something like Blade Runner 2049 I was amazed because I was seeing things I'd never noticed before.

Having said that the push to 8K was supposed to tie-in with showcase events like the Olympics, so under the current circumstances I can't see there being much demand. In fact with the danger of a global depression, the demand for TVs might be seriously reduced, with consumers going for cheaper 4K models instead.
Same is with games and DLSS from Nvidia,i was comparing native 4k and reconstruction from 1440p and honestly i dont see diference....
Upscaling is diferent with visible diference but this advanced AI methods are better how time is progresing.
Steve is this also in game mode or not?

Steve Withers

Reviewer
Same is with games and DLSS from Nvidia,i was comparing native 4k and reconstruction from 1440p and honestly i dont see diference....
Upscaling is diferent with visible diference but this advanced AI methods are better how time is progresing.
Steve is this also in game mode or not?
The game mode obviously turns off as much processing as possible to keep the lag as low as possible, but as far as I could tell the AI-enhanced upscaling still applies.

Rockets

This review actually got me looking last night if a 65" would be OK in our lounge. Looking at it 55" tops so fortunately I can forget about spending the crazy amount and trying to explain the purchase to my wife.

rupert81

Why can't we have nice, reasonably priced things?
We do already, the LG c9 and the Panasonic OLED to name just two. Even with their little bumps upwards they represent fantastic value. This Samsung however is the equivalent of a wallpaper OLED and will never be affordable to normal people.

MEGATAMA

HDR on this high end qleds is really in league of its own,started up last nigh GT Sports to make couple tracks and again q90r shocked me with how bright,alive and realistic HDR picture is.
Was driving this track with sun over mountins time of day before night...its insane how sunlight is strong and realistic but also entire picture is much brighter then on B7.

This game should be included for HDR testing in TV reviews by defolt ♥

rupert81

Exactly the reason i bought a q9fn and sold my b7. GAMING in HDR without any worries and a much brighter more dynamic image too. Even during the day watching normal content the extra flexibility is fantastic. No matter how bright my room get's this tv can handle it and produce a lucid image.

Spee2k

We do already, the LG c9 and the Panasonic OLED to name just two. Even with their little bumps upwards they represent fantastic value. This Samsung however is the equivalent of a wallpaper OLED and will never be affordable to normal people.
I would give it 6-9 months and it should be available for around £5-6K. Samsung TVs really don't hold on to their value unlike their LG/Sony/Pana counterparts.

MEGATAMA

Exactly the reason i bought a q9fn and sold my b7. GAMING in HDR without any worries and a much brighter more dynamic image too. Even during the day watching normal content the extra flexibility is fantastic. No matter how bright my room get's this tv can handle it and produce a lucid image.
I moved on oleds from plasma and was on oleds for 3.5 years and i had couple LCDs 1080p and 4k and picture was disaster so i had HUGE aversion toward LCD tech but man how wrong i was....q90r is better then B7 in every scenario except in case of Netflix wierd aspect ratio black bars.
I just wanted burn in free experience and didnt expect this quality of picture on LCD panel and now this 8k model is even better then q90r pq wise so that meens that Samsung can improve tech even further.

rupert81

I moved on oleds from plasma and was on oleds for 3.5 years and i had couple LCDs 1080p and 4k and picture was disaster so i had HUGE aversion toward LCD tech but man how wrong i was....q90r is better then B7 in every scenario except in case of Netflix wierd aspect ratio black bars.
I just wanted burn in free experience and didnt expect this quality of picture on LCD panel and now this 8k model is even better then q90r pq wise so that meens that Samsung can improve tech even further.
I agree right now OLED seems to have hit a brick wall and it was the same with plasma. Samsung was right with their choice of technology and it seems the consumer agrees with them. It's just a shame Sony and Panasonic won't bring high quality full array LCD to the market again. I had a dx902 that was faulty but the picture was far more satisfying with HDR and SDR than the b7 that replaced it.

Spee2k

SonOfSJ

@Spee2k Useful post, but it's saying out of stock at Currys. Available at Appliances Direct though! :)

Steve Withers

Reviewer
Just seen the Samsung 75Q900TS listing on Currys for £6999. This is apparently the same as the 75Q950TS with the only exception being the absence of the one connect box.. Might be the one to keep an eye on..
SAMSUNG QE75Q900TSTXXU 75" Smart 8K HDR QLED TV with Bixby, Alexa & Google Assistant.

Also on Appliances Direct:
Samsung 75Q900T 75" Smart 8K HDR QLED TV with Alexa Bixby and Google Assistant QE75Q900TSTXXU | Appliances Direct
It's also slightly deeper to accommodate the connections being in the TV rather than a OCB, but it's only 25mm compared to 15mm so hardly a big deal. So the Q900TS could be the QLED sweet spot.

Last edited:

Steve Withers

Reviewer
As far as I'm aware the line-up is:

Q950TS 65/75/85
Q900TS 65/75
Q800T 55/65/75/82