Samsung Q950TS QLED 8K TV Review

Shocking findings. Killer heels is screen uniformity and full peak white of only 370nits. Most scary is a water down 4k qled has better overall picture quality.

It isn't shocking at all. None of previous 8K tv's have been better than 4K ones.

It isn't shocking at all. None of previous 8K tv's have been better than 4K ones.
Not on contrast value at least. The wide angle technology needs dropping. I know someone who who's a 800t and is very impressed. Ownes Q90r as well

I think it’s shocking that there are a huge number of expert reviews out there that are giving it 5/5 and ‘best TV on planet’ etc.

While people who know this site can get owner feedback, I’ll bet many sets are bought on the back of those reviews.

Well I sent mine back, it was just not good enough for a tv that costs in excess of £7000 for the 75”. The tv looked great on the wall but the picture quality was poor !!!

Last edited:
I think it’s shocking that there are a huge number of expert reviews out there that are giving it 5/5 and ‘best TV on planet’ etc.

While people who know this site can get owner feedback, I’ll bet many sets are bought on the back of those reviews.

Many reviewers have lost their credibility as they have been paid to do a favourable review. I would never take most of these sites seriously. Samsung are going backwards every year. Only thing that's saving them is 10 years screen burn warranty plastered on their TVs.

Good evening all, I have the 65” but the manual is a little unclear on how to access the Freesat Service on the TV. Does anyone know if you need to connect a dish or you can tune in via the internet?

Thanks

From my earlier posts you may have read that I had a 75Q950TS and sent it back due to dirty screen and vignetting & poor quality control that is just not good enough for an TV costing as much as it does plus 8K is not really worth it. I have now got my LG OLED65GX installed as a replacement for my old E6 and have to say that the picture quality blows there 950TS out of the water, it is much better, I wish I had never bothered with the Samsung to be honest and eagerly await my 77” GX to arrive. Yes the Samsung may be brighter and not suffer from potential image retention albeit that the latest LG’s are much better now but if you are after a TV with an excellent picture then OLED is the way to go in my opinion. I know some of you won’t agree but I am talking from experience with these TV’s. Here is a little picture of it on the wall, looks as good as the 950TS. Reflections in the screen may look like it will be an issue but they aren’t and I can always block out light coming into the room by drawing the curtains plus I find screens that are too bright can be rather fatiguing on the eye especially at night when it is dark.

991F8030-6A3B-4055-BD0C-1E76E0E16913.jpeg

I bought this TV a month ago, I was replacing the Q9FNA 2018 model. Wanted something future proof and this TV ticked a lot of boxes plus it had killer design. The first TV they brought had some issues. After a few hours I turned it off it just wouldnt turn on. Then I noticed some backlight bleeding on some of the bezels around the frame, Lastly I noticed screen uniformity issues like the reviews suggested. The Samsung technician came over ran some diagnostics tests and told me I had a faulty motherboard. So they replaced it with a new unit. The new unit had the same backlight bleeding that looks like a hairline crack on the bottom left side of the TV. It also turned off and wouldn;t turn on again. Finally it has screen uniformity issues as well. Samsung technician came over again changed the cable and it was working, however this is a damn expensive TV and I don't want to be Samsung's guinea pig. Some general pros and cons of the TV:

Pros

Picture is really nice and vibrant. I really liked it and could notice a difference from my Q9FNA
4k upscaler is killer and really noticaeable in HD content
I liked the Intelligent mode a lot
Blacks were good enough and the TV would suppress blooming around subtitles much more effectively than Q9FNA. I tested it with Ozark on Netflix which is a benchmark to test TVs on low light as the series is quite dark and I could tell the difference
Design is absolutely stunning. TV looks amazing on a stand and on the wall
Samsung interface is snappier and had more apps
Has HDMI 2,1
Love the one remote but same as the Q9FNA
Samsng has good support and its 24/7
The TV was less bright than the Q9FNA which I consider a pro. The Q9FNA gets so bright especially at night that I thought my eyeballs were burning

Cons

TV would gt really hot in the middle of the bottom frame
The bezels are so thin which leads to a lot of imperfections around the edges. I noticed imperfections in both my 2 sets as well as the store demo unit. I believe this is because they tried to compress everything in an impossibly thin chassis
Power management issues with both my units
The antireflective fitler created a rainbow effect on my screen which was more distracting than reflection

I ended up returning the TV and changed my order to the LG GX. I was hesitant about OLEDs due to brightness, reflections and risk of burn in. I want to try the brightness and reflection as I don't think it will be a huge issue and I read the risk of burn has been minimized with the new software and hardware updates. Plus I love the design of the GX.

Receiving the new unit in 2 days wish me luck. I would stay away from the Q950TS

Attachments

• 20200909_133433.jpg
    20200909_133433.jpg
    281.9 KB · Views: 281
I bought this TV a month ago, I was replacing the Q9FNA 2018 model. Wanted something future proof and this TV ticked a lot of boxes plus it had killer design. The first TV they brought had some issues. After a few hours I turned it off it just wouldnt turn on. Then I noticed some backlight bleeding on some of the bezels around the frame, Lastly I noticed screen uniformity issues like the reviews suggested. The Samsung technician came over ran some diagnostics tests and told me I had a faulty motherboard. So they replaced it with a new unit. The new unit had the same backlight bleeding that looks like a hairline crack on the bottom left side of the TV. It also turned off and wouldn;t turn on again. Finally it has screen uniformity issues as well. Samsung technician came over again changed the cable and it was working, however this is a damn expensive TV and I don't want to be Samsung's guinea pig. Some general pros and cons of the TV:

Pros

Picture is really nice and vibrant. I really liked it and could notice a difference from my Q9FNA
4k upscaler is killer and really noticaeable in HD content
I liked the Intelligent mode a lot
Blacks were good enough and the TV would suppress blooming around subtitles much more effectively than Q9FNA. I tested it with Ozark on Netflix which is a benchmark to test TVs on low light as the series is quite dark and I could tell the difference
Design is absolutely stunning. TV looks amazing on a stand and on the wall
Samsung interface is snappier and had more apps
Has HDMI 2,1
Love the one remote but same as the Q9FNA
Samsng has good support and its 24/7
The TV was less bright than the Q9FNA which I consider a pro. The Q9FNA gets so bright especially at night that I thought my eyeballs were burning

Cons

TV would gt really hot in the middle of the bottom frame
The bezels are so thin which leads to a lot of imperfections around the edges. I noticed imperfections in both my 2 sets as well as the store demo unit. I believe this is because they tried to compress everything in an impossibly thin chassis
Power management issues with both my units
The antireflective fitler created a rainbow effect on my screen which was more distracting than reflection

I ended up returning the TV and changed my order to the LG GX. I was hesitant about OLEDs due to brightness, reflections and risk of burn in. I want to try the brightness and reflection as I don't think it will be a huge issue and I read the risk of burn has been minimized with the new software and hardware updates. Plus I love the design of the GX.

Receiving the new unit in 2 days wish me luck. I would stay away from the Q950TS

Yes, the quality of these TV’s for their cost is just not good enough, they are well avoided.

I like you should be receiving my LG OLED GX this week.

Getting this OLED killer TV in the coming weeks - can’t wait! The best is the best!

Where do you get your 8k content from? There seems some on YouTube, but I find most of the time even though it says 8k, it only plays in 4k
I was being completely sarcastic. I really don't see the point of 8k just yet. Would much rather spend that money on a big OLED

Well this thread does not look good for my upcoming decision.
I have a 75” Q95T which does everything right except for some leds failure so i have to replace it. In withing the return period.
Price was 2149 £.

Now i have the opportunity to get a brand new Q950ts 75” for 2479 £ directly from Samsung which in my opinion should be a super deal just for the dimming zones alone (480 vs 160).
The i keep reading about horrible dse and even lower brightness than q95t, 350 nits vs 700 nits in full field white.

What to do?

Well this thread does not look good for my upcoming decision.
I have a 75” Q95T which does everything right except for some leds failure so i have to replace it. In withing the return period.
Price was 2149 £.

Now i have the opportunity to get a brand new Q950ts 75” for 2479 £ directly from Samsung which in my opinion should be a super deal just for the dimming zones alone (480 vs 160).
The i keep reading about horrible dse and even lower brightness than q95t, 350 nits vs 700 nits in full field white.

What to do?
It is a great TV which goes incredibly bright and really black too nearly OLED black. The judder and stutter forced me to swap with my dad for his OLED in the end but I was really happy or almost really happy with it. That obviously is a great price there is no dse on our one and it is definitely better than the 4K models in Samsung’s range. If you don’t want an OLED I would say go for it you won’t regret it.

It is a great TV which goes incredibly bright and really black too nearly OLED black. The judder and stutter forced me to swap with my dad for his OLED in the end but I was really happy or almost really happy with it. That obviously is a great price there is no dse on our one and it is definitely better than the 4K models in Samsung’s range. If you don’t want an OLED I would say go for it you won’t regret it.
Thanks.

My only option would be the lg CX 77” which is about the same price. But i dont think its a good deals since the G1 77” looks like it will be arouns the same price in about a year considering its launch price, at least in sweden. Aldo Oled doesnt make much sense in my room since light is pooring in 12 hours a day until autumn. Se pic below. I also hava a big window next to the couch.

Attachments

• F36F9E9B-C93B-4F65-9181-DD9F6E2116B9.jpeg
    F36F9E9B-C93B-4F65-9181-DD9F6E2116B9.jpeg
    258.9 KB · Views: 132
If a TV has a colour gamut that reaches 100% of DCI-P3, a peak brightness that extends up to 1,500 nits and 400 nits on a full field pattern then it shouldn't need to tone map content graded at 1,000 nits. Of course it will still need to tone map 4,000 nits content, of which there is quite a bit on disc.
You cant get only native 4000 Nits content on disc. It comes in HDR10 format mastered to 1000 Nits. To get 4000 Nits you then have to apply a subsequent HDR10+ or Dolby Vision layer. So as we don't have 4000 Nits TVs yet we are good with the HDR10 version for a TV that can reproduce that without Tone Mapping.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom