Samsung Q90T vs LG CX

ghentlan

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, first time in this forum and spent a bit of time reading around - so thank you for the user guides already posted.

I'm looking for a 65" TV to go into a dedicated movie/snug room that we're setting up, and will be partnered with a dedicated receiver/sound setup. In other words its all about the picture quality (and usability for the kids) - sound is taken care of. Also not too worried about games, I have a PS4 but have probably used it less than 20 hours in the last 5 years... some of my games are still in original wrappers! Main use cases will be Amazon Prime, Disney+ for the kids, general TV viewing and occassional blurays / DVDs. We will be sitting pretty much straight on to the TV so viewing angle not a big concern. We have a 5 year old Samsung in the lounge already and no complaints with it at all.

I was all set to buy a 65" LG OLED CX for £1799. We rarely use Channel4 catchup or ITVHub so the lack of those wasn't a problem. However I've been put off a little by hearing a comment from a current owner who has to go into the menus to "fix" something each time he switches from SD to HD content. We watch a fair amount of regular TV so that would be a pain.

The other curve ball is I just found I get a discount on Samsung through work. So I can get the Samsung Q90T for £1,529 (or Q95T for £1,799). Price is not my biggest worry but I don't want to waste money for the sake of it - £270 could be usefully spent elsewhere like a better receiver.

The one time I tried something else (a Sony) I was frustrated by the UI so it's really between these 2.

Given I can't get to the shops and see them side by side, and I want to wrap this up sooner than later what would you pick and why in my situation? LG CX or Samsung Q90T for £270 less?

I've just noticed the other very similar thread a few down (doh!) but my question still stands if anyone has any advice for my usage :) Thanks

The LG.

It's a far better TV for movie and TV watching and overall picture quality. There are cases for the Samsung such as doing a lot of gaming or your TV is stuck on a news channel for hours on end that could lead to burn-in on an OLED but you don't fit that use.

If you really want it to shine though, as with all modern higher-end TVs it really needs 4K HDR sources
such as Prime, Netflix and the ultimate would be 4K UHD discs.

The Samsung Q90T is a little overpriced. Anyway, that aside the LG CX is simply the superior TV for your needs.

I hadven't heard about the manual switching on the CX - the TV should automatically upscale anything less than 4k. The UI on LG seems great, modern - comparable to Samsung.

Personally, I'm less of a fan of the digital looking image on LCDs. Have you looked at Dodge's threads on picking the right technology first?

Out of these two, LG CX no question. But I'm biased and I'd tell you for your needs to also look at the Sony A8 OLED too. Arguably the second best TV in 2020 (according to Vincent at HDTV Test, behind the Panasonic HZ2000, and the best living room TV). I was keen on the CX but went for the Sony in the end for it's upscaling and motion (it's just arrived today). The UI isn't as pretty as LG, but Google TV is more robust, has the widest app reach, and should get updates for longer.

Im still debating between the two myself (but for different reasons, Sport, Gaming and Movies).
Something to keep in mind is the LG CX is prone to screen burn. So if your kids are watching cartoons with the network logo static for quite a while or if they leave the TV idle it increases the burn in risk.

I think Im going to go with the Q90T myself just as I dont want to worry about screen burn appearing in a year or two...or three!

Im still debating between the two myself (but for different reasons, Sport, Gaming and Movies).
Something to keep in mind is the LG CX is prone to screen burn. So if your kids are watching cartoons with the network logo static for quite a while or if they leave the TV idle it increases the burn in risk.

I think Im going to go with the Q90T myself just as I dont want to worry about screen burn appearing in a year or two...or three!

The "quite a while" could be 5000+ hours, which could be 5 or even 10 years of that specific activity. It's a risk - whether that's negligible vs small is dependent on your usage. But it's certainly not common.

Samsung only give 12 months warranty if you buy direct.

I wasn't aware of that - thanks.

Pat, I noted about the burn in risk but for my usage its extremely unlikely to be an issue. The kids basically watch Disney+ or Amazon and neither have logos in the corner IIRC. They are of the age where the concept of a channel where they can't pick their own content, pause, rewind etc at will seems alien.

Choose the technology, put the specifics about each TV aside before you make that decision first.

If you want an OLED with less settings to change, go for the Panasonic HZ980 instead of the LG CX. It lacks Disney but you can fix that with a Roku or Firestick.

You could also consider the LG BX which should be cheaper and performs 90% as good.

Android TV isn't as bad as it used to be, the newer models have faster integrated chipsets and less bugs. So a Philips or Sony OLED may also be considered. Or if you decide on an LCD TV, the Sony XH9505 instead of the Q90T (its currently better value).

I was basically set on the LG, just wanted to double check I wasn't being rash given the good price on the Samsung.

Thanks everyone for the help... decision has been made and LG just ordered :)

I almost pulled the trigger on the LG 55CX a minute ago. And then I wobbled as I can't also afford a soundbar, so was thinking the Q90 with "free" soundbar for £1199.

And then wondered if I was better off just going for the XH9505 for £999.

Back to square one. Again.

In a moment I will just buy one of them because I am wasting too much of my life researching... I am currently doing the exact same thing with cameras too!

The Samsung is too expensive to recommend when the LG is only £100 extra.

I'd take the LG over the Sony as well, but if you need a soundbar as least it leaves you with the ability to buy the soundbar you want, rather than "that'll do" with the Samsung.

There's also the LG55BX for a bit less. It's not as bright as the CX and none of the OLEDs will be ideal in a brightly lit room.

I wouldn't touch an LG tv with a bargepole. In my experience LG as a brand are far less reliable than Samsung. I have also had issues with Sony albeit a long time ago.

It is also telling that despite the much vaunted positives of OLED that LG are releasing a range of Mini LED tv's this year - what does that say? Perhaps that they are merely cheaper to produce, but perhaps that it is superior to OLED? Who knows.

On the other hand I am getting decidedly annoyed with Samsung's idiotic pricing and confusion with regard to model names. This time last year I asked what the difference was between two models of their tvs (aside from that one cost £300 more) to be told by Samsung online chat that the only difference was the colour of the bezel. I actually prefer an unframed tv so the cheaper black bezel over the "titan silver or titan black" was preferable for me.

It is also telling that despite the much vaunted positives of OLED that LG are releasing a range of Mini LED tv's this year - what does that say?

That their current LCD lineup is very poor?

LG OLED, thanks.
LG LCD, nope.

My current dilemma was initially just one of WHO to buy from. £1699 including 15% "birthday" discount from Samsung direct or £1999 from Richer Sounds with a 6 year warranty for the 75 inch Q90T. This decision after seeing direct comparison of the Q90T with the new Neo equivalent. I was quite annoyed when I asked Samsung if I paid for installation and demo and wasn't happy could the installers just take the tv back (since most other places offer free returns these days) only to be told that if I didnt like the tv I would have to arrange and pay for my own courier return.

Since, other than it's size of 55 inches, I am still happy with my edge lit Samsung, I think it's probably best to just ..wait.

I've just noticed the other very similar thread a few down (doh!) but my question still stands if anyone has any advice for my usage :) Thanks
The Q90T has frame rate issues then your playing the panel lottery with dirty screen effect. I returned the Q90T and replaced it with the LG CX Oled

It is also telling that despite the much vaunted positives of OLED that LG are releasing a range of Mini LED tv's this year - what does that say? Perhaps that they are merely cheaper to produce, but perhaps that it is superior to OLED? Who knows.
Anything with LED in the name is just referring to the backlight system. The drawback with LG's LCD TVs comes from the panel type used, not the backlight, so even with MiniLED tech, they will still carry poor screen uniformity and worse blacks compared to competition TVs using VA panels.

QLED is also just marketing like MiniLED. It relates to how a TV can show different colours. These are really just terms that should be taken as a pinch of salt. There's two display technologies, LCD and OLED with nothing in-between.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom