Samsung Q90T thread

Got my replacement today. Everything looked fine and then i updates to firmware 1497 and it looked like this. I pulled out the power cable and then it workee. Very clean panel, better than the last one
I had the same problem after the firmware update, clears after a power reset but i will return after a few days, i got an engineer coming out to inspect, trying to talk to samsung is hard work no matter how many times you say its the software they just don't listen

Hi,
I’ve the same issue with the Inputs on the Q90R 75” and it’s been ongoing since June 2021.
I had the main board and the one connect box board replaced (which gave me a 2.1 hdmi) but still didn’t solve the issue.
Samsung admit now there is a software issue and have no confirmed date for the update.
Basically told me to wait and would give me £50.

I didn’t want that so chased Currys up and have now get to choose a replacement TV.
They have so many bugs in the software, i really don't think they tested things correctly

I had the same problem after the firmware update, clears after a power reset but i will return after a few days, i got an engineer coming out to inspect, trying to talk to samsung is hard work no matter how many times you say its the software they just don't listen
Thats not good news. What did the engineer say?

Most of the time, the updates that Samsung launches do worse than good! The rule also applies to mobile phones. We had from the Galaxi range all the models from S7. And now I'm at S21, so I know what I'm saying.
Samsung update = problems!

q90t ownwers, do you know that problem :
i use my brand new q90t mostly as pc-monitor, surfing and watching movies or torrenting. but since yesterday, i have a serious issue:
watching live tv, or movies from an hdd/usb-stick, i have 5 picture modes.
as soon as i go to pc and use the tv as monitor, i only have 2 picture modes, dynamic and standard.
did a factory reset, tried everything.
anybody else with that problem or hopefully a solution ?
(on my lg cx, everything is fine, so the issue is not the pc)
is it a firmware-update issue ?
i had all modes for the first 2 days, made the update to 1497 yesterday morning, had still all 5 modes for 1-2 hours after the update.
then suddenly, the tv lost connection to the pc, showing a note that i needed to check the picture settings on the external device. i disconnected the pc, plugged it in again, was recognized.
tried all pc settings (60hz/4.2.0 and 30hz/4.4.4 , its an old gtx780 ). no difference.
i can browse, play movies, everything, but i only have those 2 picture modes.
i can't be the only one using it as a monitor, please help me out !

i use my brand new q90t mostly as pc-monitor, surfing and watching movies or torrenting. but since yesterday, i have a serious issue:
as soon as i go to pc and use the tv as monitor, i only have 2 picture modes, dynamic and standard.
i had all modes for the first 2 days, made the update to 1497 yesterday morning, had still all 5 modes for 1-2 hours after the update.
then suddenly, the tv lost connection to the pc, showing a note that i needed to check the picture settings on the external device. i disconnected the pc, plugged it in again, was recognized.
tried all pc settings (60hz/4.2.0 and 30hz/4.4.4 , its an old gtx780 ). no difference.
Try to just change the name of the hdmi input its PC right now i guess so put it to blurey player or try the other options. This should unlock all the picture modes

Hi,
don't panic , this is normal! you are in degraded mode because your resolution and frequency settings are not right. Example 1440p.
set the PC either to 1080p 24 to 60Hz or 2160p or 24 to 60Hz and you will have all the modes back.
and yes there is also a trick for better quality on PC , is to force your HDMI source on the samsung hdmi setting to home cinema.

and if you want HDR , set the pc to 10 bits and yuv422, activate HDR in windows display panel .

Try to just change the name of the hdmi input its PC right now i guess so put it to blurey player or try the other options. This should unlock all the picture modes
Dude, you're a genius, such an easy solution, and it worked !
how did you find that trick, it's just great ?
a samsung technician called me back yesterday, couldn't help me at all, told me to wright an email, so they could collect data about update problems and send it to southkorea !
the guy didn't know how many modes are supposed to be there.
i'm testing right now an lg oled cx and the q90t.
since i use it mostly as monitor, i started getting worried about oled burn in, after watching a 4 hour cinemax movie, i run some grey test videos 2 days later and i still could see the dark stripes on the left and right, even remains of the browser window.
so i was about to bring back the lg and keep the samsung, when i ran into this 'only 2 modes issue'.
i would lose 10% whenreturning it, and how would i know, how other tv's work as monitor ?
so you saved my day, thank's a lot !
i'm gonna send these posts to samsung, just for fun, maybe they even fix this in a couple of years.

Dude, you're a genius, such an easy solution, and it worked !
It's really that simple right :D but i didnt find it out by myself, it was from other member on this forum, there are others who are facing this problem and it,s so annoying when there is problem like this with such simple solution.
I am glad i helped you :)

Hi,
don't panic , this is normal! you are in degraded mode because your resolution and frequency settings are not right. Example 1440p.
set the PC either to 1080p 24 to 60Hz or 2160p or 24 to 60Hz and you will have all the modes back.
and yes there is also a trick for better quality on PC , is to force your HDMI source on the samsung hdmi setting to home cinema.

and if you want HDR , set the pc to 10 bits and yuv422, activate HDR in windows display panel .
thank's for you're answer, i really was in a degraded mode ;-))
please read my replay to riko2020 first.
so i have an old gtx780 graphics card in an 2007 windows 7 gaming pc , yeah, i know :)
it's capable of max. 2160p/60hz/420/8bit
or 2160p/30hz/444/8bit
i managed to set it to 10bit, but i lost all yuv options.
i tried changing all those settings, since the tv told me to (although it had been working for 3 days), unplugging again and things like that, nothing helped.
i found a setting in the q90t, external devices, extended input signal (sorry, i had to translate this, my system is in german), turning off that mode automatically triggered my graphic card to switch to 30hz/444, but i tried all possible settings and still wouldn't get 5 picture modes.

since my pc is so old, it will not play all video files, the gtx780 does not support x265 for example.
so for the moment (i will by a new motherboard and cpu with onboard graphics),
i play those files on the tv via ext. hdd.
unfortunately, the samsung does not play all of them, while the lg does, mediainfo shows, that they are mkv/hevc/hdr/2160p/10 bit/high level 5/ etc., i could not find the difference, the samsung should play all of that according to the list of supported formats.
some it plays, some it doesn't.
sometimes, i would not get the subtitles, sometimes i would, (all in mkv).
is there anything i can try to improve that ?
in the future, i will play all that on the pc of course, but the lg is def. better in that regard, and it's also much faster.
i just realized right now, that you gave me the same tip as riko2020 by changing the name from pc to home cinema, i just didn't understand it right away :)
so many thanks to you as well, yesterday was the first time i ever joined any forum, because i knew there most be a solution ou there. i found something on a subreddit and you guys here, and less then 24 hours later, my problem is solved !
you made my first contact with the forum world a pleasent experience, thanks a lot for that !
live long a prosper

Thats not good news. What did the engineer say?
They are coming out next Thursday to inspect and change the board, he seems to think the firmware didn't take properly because of a dodgy board, i had a nightmare last night with the 2.1 connection to the Xbox series x, I had a loud buzzing though the soundbar that I could only get rid of by going WiFi (proving it's the hdmi) , the TV got stuck in a boot loop of game mode on and off for about 5m , had to power off at the wall. Was all working perfect before the firmware update!

What contrast setting do you guys use for SDR? While using the avs hd 709 pattern I lower contrast to about 39-40 then the bars gets a grey hue which is what it supposed to look like according to the test manual. What I dont understate is why rtings and every other reviewer except for darko the calibration always use the default value of 45? Is the avs hd 709 contrast pattern not correct? I also notice that the background gets less white while lowering the contrast.

They are coming out next Thursday to inspect and change the board, he seems to think the firmware didn't take properly because of a dodgy board, i had a nightmare last night with the 2.1 connection to the Xbox series x, I had a loud buzzing though the soundbar that I could only get rid of by going WiFi (proving it's the hdmi) , the TV got stuck in a boot loop of game mode on and off for about 5m , had to power off at the wall. Was all working perfect before the firmware update!
Sound really wierd. I have no problem so far. Hope it works out

What contrast setting do you guys use for SDR? While using the avs hd 709 pattern I lower contrast to about 39-40 then the bars gets a grey hue which is what it supposed to look like according to the test manual. What I dont understate is why rtings and every other reviewer except for darko the calibration always use the default value of 45? Is the avs hd 709 contrast pattern not correct? I also notice that the background gets less white while lowering the contrast.

Hi i studied .. "a lot" how the tv works, using a probe and calibration software. the luminosity and contrast are linked. i published a list of calibrated settings orderered by luminosity and preferred gamma curve (2.4 2.3 2.2)

in SDR , you can save 3 modes , standard, cinema and filmmaker. the other ones are not really usable.

so i use cinema mode for full dark room; choose a 2.4 gamma setting with a maxnit at 100.

then for evening , low light, i use filmmaker mode with a 2.4 setting , but some people may prefer 2.3
and for day, i use the standard mode with a 2.3 gamma. if your room is really luminous , and you picked up a setting that is too low , just take one to the right (a 2.2 gamma one).

now for your question about contrast , you can see that it varies depending on luminosity and gamma target. the gamma target is set mainly with BT1886 value. Which is a weird name, it should be named gamma. Since firmware 1497, a good overall value for contrast is 25.

here it is :

Well my 75” q95t showed this wierd behaviour again with the leds almost beeing shut off. Will return it and make a final try with samsung with a q950ts which i can get for a pretty insane price of 2450 £

Last edited:
Can someone please help? Struggling with blue blacks in game mode no matter the settings on the series x and can't access game motion plus settings either, driving me mad.

Can someone please help? Struggling with blue blacks in game mode no matter the settings on the series x and can't access game motion plus settings either, driving me mad.

if GMP is disabled and greyed it is because you are at 120Hz. I don't have an answer for your blue blacks. maybe the HMDI black level setting on the samsung .?
try to go back in yuv422 10 bits to see if the problem is still present.

if GMP is disabled and greyed it is because you are at 120Hz. I don't have an answer for your blue blacks. maybe the HMDI black level setting on the samsung .?
try to go back in yuv422 10 bits to see if the problem is still present.
Having the same issue even with 120hz off. I think I will get a different tv solely for gaming. Thanks for the response.

Does anyone know if Samsung are going to enable LPCM pass through over EARC? I want to buy the Q90T but I also want surround sound, and it seems bitstream through the TV has bad audio lag. And without LPCM pass through I can't think of any other way to get lag-free surround sound + HDMI 2.1 features.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Hi guys. Recently purchased a q90t and very happy with it...

Except....

Does the TV not passthrough HD audio correctly?

I've got an Xbone One X connected to HDMI4, an AV receiver in 3 (eArc) and while watching a Blu-ray I know is outputting TrueHD, I'm only getting DD+. When I connect directly to the AV (missing out the TV) I get TrueHD.

Checked all settings, nothing obvious there but there seems to be stories of it being broken on the interwebs.

Apologies I haven't read the whole thread, but is this a known issue?

Cheers

Last edited:
Hi guys, waiting for a 65 Q90T delivery next Tuesday, I have seen a lot of negatives regarding update 1497 therefore I am quite reluctant to apply it. My question is this, upon firing up the tv for the first time and completing the initial setup, does it go to update automatically to the latest firmware or I have enough time to disable auto updates? Your response is highly appreciated thanks!

QN85/QN90 is right choice. There's no sense in buying Q90T right now.
Right now it absolutely makes no sense to buy the QN90 really, the price difference is huge and performance is sub par especially the local dimming that black crushes like there's no tomorrow. I am basing this on real physical side by side viewing of the Q90T and Qn90 at a store not youtube videos btw. Certainly not worth it for the money they're asking for it

Same! I have the Q70T soundbar hooked up to the Q90T and the delay when trying out Atmos was pretty disappointing.
Are you playing movies from the built in apps? Do you have external devices apart from the soundbar hooked up directly to the tv?

Hi guys, waiting for a 65 Q90T delivery next Tuesday, I have seen a lot of negatives regarding update 1497 therefore I am quite reluctant to apply it. My question is this, upon firing up the tv for the first time and completing the initial setup, does it go to update automatically to the latest firmware or I have enough time to disable auto updates? Your response is highly appreciated thanks!
I can't remember if it updates automatically but I wouldn't worry about updating it, the dimming zone bug only seems to effect the 95T one connect box, if you play games the game mode on 1497 is much improved 👍

I can't remember if it updates automatically but I wouldn't worry about updating it, the dimming zone bug only seems to effect the 95T one connect box, if you play games the game mode on 1497 is much improved 👍
Thanks for the response, In fact I do not wish to update at all for the time being 🙂 , the set will be running the previous version firmware as confirmed by the retailer. Some guys reported 1497 update lowered brightness in all modes, as apparently it updates the power rating to be EU compliant, that scared me cause I need all the brightness I can get. At a particular retailer in fact I noticed they had a Q90T on display stating that 'this particular model employs a better power rating' so probably it was a set with the 1497 update. I could notice the lower brightness output on the set since they also had another Q90T that was much brighter. Did you notice a brightness difference on other modes too?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom