Samsung Q90T thread

white balance may change from 1 to 5 points from panel to panel , but not more , so my hypothesis for his problem is that he is not in HDR , but in SDR. in that case a 50/38 with colour at 26-30 will produce this kind of oversaturation. Starting with default white balance , will give you a colder rendering but will not change saturation so much like his description.
Set it to 30 like in your first post. A few post later I read about 25 in color. Colors are now fine, but I go for the xbox series x settings that Vincent showed on his HDTV YouTube channel.
But I have to say it again: your TV settings are awesome! I liked my new TV but with your settings it is like another upgrade ☺

Can you pls provide HDR Full RGB Calibration settings that would be very much helpful for new console users.

i cannot display RGB HDR here, i suppose the first thing to check is the black hdmi level in the general menu. then change the colour setting so that you don t see oversaturation , but check that your signal is really HDR (using remote button 123 ok ok ) or checking that ST2084 is selected automatically in the expert settings.

Following these replies closely and with extreme interest.

I've got the Q90T with the Series X and have been using your preferred settings for Movies Anthemized.

What would I need to do for Game Mode and HDR?

Which column of settings should I use and which colour space settings. Sorry I'm new to this!

i added advices on HDR game mode settings under the list of HDR settings.

Game mode PS4 HDR:

• setting on the PS4
    • yuv 420
    • HDR auto
    • extended colors auto
  • on the TV engage game mode ,
    • check with the info that you are receiving HDR signal (button 123 ok ok on the remote)
  • apply my HDR film MaxNits:
    • brightness/contrast: 50/38
    • color 26 (should be 30 ,but it seems i desaturated a bit , just try 26-30)
    • local dimming : standard
    • enhanced contrast : low
    • ST2084 -1
    • shadow details -1
    • custom colour space : HDR day Max one.
  • then calibrate HDR in PS4 setting , this set the max nit emission.
  • HGIG off , but try with or without to see if it improves (here not)
  • on samsung TV : dynamic egalizer, game mode parameter : 5 , game motion flow on

Set it to 30 like in your first post. A few post later I read about 25 in color. Colors are now fine, but I go for the xbox series x settings that Vincent showed on his HDTV YouTube channel.
But I have to say it again: your TV settings are awesome! I liked my new TV but with your settings it is like another upgrade ☺

you are welcome ! enjoy your new tv.

Am I right in thinking the Q90T and Q95T are the exact same TV apart from the one connect box and the remote?

i cannot display RGB HDR here, i suppose the first thing to check is the black hdmi level in the general menu. then change the colour setting so that you don t see oversaturation , but check that your signal is really HDR (using remote button 123 ok ok ) or checking that ST2084 is selected automatically in the expert settings.
Hello bro your updated game-mode settings are excellent. Are you sure about -1 shadow level? Is there any way to make little brighter?

Hi guys, I need your help to understand something:

Like written a few pages earlier, I got an audio delay when activating dolby atmos on my xbox series x.
My setup is xbox series x into samsung q90t hdmi 4 (hdmi 2.1 gaming Port). Soundbar hw-q70t into hdmi 3 eArc Port on my tv.

With this setup, I got a heavy audio delay when activating dolby atmos but can use all features of hdmi 2.1 (4k 120hz HDR with VRR and ALLM).

(the problem exist for almost every TV manufacturer atm and Xbox forum is full of this problem)

Yesterday I read on samsung forum a solution:

My soundbar hw-q70t got 2x hdmi 2.1 ports. I plugged the Xbox series x directly into my soundbar and goes from my soundbar to hdmi 3 eArc port on my TV. I manually activated game motion plus and can use my Xbox with full hdmi 2.1 support. Xbox testing screen and my TV says 4k 120hz hdr with VRR and ALLM.

So everything is fine. But I want to understand WHY?!?
I thought only hdmi 4 Port on samsung q90t is 2.1? Can someone explain that to me?

Thanks for your help

Like written a few pages earlier, I got an audio delay when activating dolby atmos on my xbox series x.
My setup is xbox series x into samsung q90t hdmi 4 (hdmi 2.1 gaming Port). Soundbar hw-q70t into hdmi 3 eArc Port on my tv.

With this setup, I got a heavy audio delay when activating dolby atmos but can use all features of hdmi 2.1 (4k 120hz HDR with VRR and ALLM).

(the problem exist for almost every TV manufacturer atm and Xbox forum is full of this problem)

My soundbar hw-q70t got 2x hdmi 2.1 ports. I plugged the Xbox series x directly into my soundbar and goes from my soundbar to hdmi 3 eArc port on my TV. I manually activated game motion plus and can use my Xbox with full hdmi 2.1 support. Xbox testing screen and my TV says 4k 120hz hdr with VRR and ALLM.

I thought only hdmi 4 Port on samsung q90t is 2.1? Can someone explain that to me?

Thanks for your help
Are you SURE it says 120hz HDR?? It should work with 4k120 but only SDR... Everything else will also work (ALLM / VRR) but only port 4 will do HDR @ 120 due to the bandwidth it needs.

Yes, I am absolutely sure. There are some other postings on samsung forum where I find that solution.

Xbox TV check says 4k 120hz HDR+ with VRR and ALLM. TV says the same when playing games.

Yes, I am absolutely sure. There are some other postings on samsung forum where I find that solution.

Xbox TV check says 4k 120hz HDR+ with VRR and ALLM. TV says the same when playing games.
Well that's really weird! Great for you of course, but I can't explain it... Can you post a pic of the info bar from the TV taken while playing a game in HDR?

Thanks for your help
It is because the soundbar is sending only video signal which is sufficient for HDMI 2.0 eARC port. Without audio data the bandwidth has some less data to carry. From xbox to q70t receiver it's transmitting full hdmi2.1 data then the receiver is sending out only video data.

It is because the soundbar is sending only video signal which is sufficient for HDMI 2.0 eARC port. Without audio data the bandwidth has some less data to carry. From xbox to q70t receiver it's transmitting full hdmi2.1 data then the receiver is sending out only video data.
Thank you. That was also my idea. Receiver /Soundbar gets full hdmi 2.1 bandwidth. Submitting only video data and the bandwidth for hdmi 2.0b eArc is enough.

Do you think that this setup could be a problem in the future? Could it be that future games uses more video data? Or is 4k 120hz hdr always the same data value?

Again, thanks for your help

Even without the audio data the video data for 4k/120 10bit HDR is still above the 18GBs bandwidth available over hdmi 2.0b

However it's possible that both answers are correct

Port 3 might not be hdmi 2.1 but might be the same as hdmi port 4 on last year's q85r/q90r. These had a 24Gbs port which whilst not officially hdmi 2.1, did support 4k/120 10bit HDR but only using chroma 4:2:0 subsampling. Whereas hdmi port 4 on the q90t is 40Gbs and supports 4k/120 10bit HDR RGB.

Even without the audio data the video data for 4k/120 10bit HDR is still above the 18GBs bandwidth available over hdmi 2.0b

However it's possible that both answers are correct

Port 3 might not be hdmi 2.1 but might be the same as hdmi port 4 on last year's q85r/q90r. These had a 24Gbs port which whilst not officially hdmi 2.1, did support 4k/120 10bit HDR but only using chroma 4:2:0 subsampling. Whereas hdmi port 4 on the q90t is 40Gbs and supports 4k/120 10bit HDR RGB.

So, just for curiosity, for the Q90R/Q80R does it mean that 1440p@120hz would actually work @ 10bit RGB 4:4:4??
Thanks

So, just for curiosity, for the Q90R/Q80R does it mean that 1440p@120hz would actually work @ 10bit RGB 4:4:4??
Thanks
I set my xbox to use chroma 4:4:4 10 bit.
Can someone tell me how to check if the tv does this chroma output?

Next question : could I plug my soundbar into my hdmi 2.1 gaming Port? Is eArc working on that port too? (if no one answer, I will try at home later)

You can easily check from your PC NVIDIA/amd panel, if it does give the option you are done. Please let us know if it does and if you are talking about the R series? Thanks

You can easily check from your PC NVIDIA/amd panel, if it does give the option you are done. Please let us know if it does and if you are talking about the R series? Thanks
Like written above. I got an samsung q90t. And I don't own a pc to check that. Sorry

Go into the TV settings and check if you can alter hdmi black level. Thus is only available when the TV is receiving an RGB/YUV4:4:4 input.

At work at the moment but I will try on my q85r later. I do know that 4k/60 10bit RGB is supported by the q85r hdmi port 4 but frustratingly the Xbox series x doesn't output this as having tried hdmi black level is disabled. If I switch back to 8bit it does output 4k/60 8bit RGB.

So whilst I am here could a Q90T Xbox series X owner try the following and report back on if hdmi black level is available.

Auto HDR turned off in all cases
XsX 24bit (8bits per channel) colour 4k/60 playing SDR game.
XsX 24bit (8bits per channel) colour 4k/60 playing HDR game (XsX will auto switch to 10bit)
XsX 30bit (10bits per channel) colour 4k/60 playing SDR game
XsX 30bit (10bits per channel) colour 4k/60 playing HDR game

The only one on a q85r that has hdmi black level available is the first one suggesting chroma subsampling is used for the others despite the TV supporting 4k/60 10bit RGB/YUV4:4:4

Thanks

I've done some testing with an Xbox series X and a q85r and I suspect the results will be the same with the q90t

If you set the Xbox to 1440p and are connected to a 4k TV, it will automatically run the games at 4k regardless if you have the allow 4K setting ticked. Ok, just untick it. Yes but Microsoft only enable HDR if you have allow 4k set so whilst you can set the Xbox to 30bits per pixel (10bit) 1440p/120 it's only outputting SDR content. I proved it by loading destiny 2 which is HDR enabled and going into D2 adjust brightness option which displayed the SDR calibration not the HDR calibration.

So yes it does allow me to adjust hdmi black level indicating the TV is receiving an RGB input when Xbox set to 1440/120 10bit I suspect the Xbox is only actually outputting an 8bit signal.

Hi there: quick update:

4k 120hz with hdr is selected but you only get 4k 120hz WITHOUT hdr when going xbox series x into hw-q70t soundbar into hdmi 3 port (the eArc port).

You can force 4k 60hz hdr but then I got no sound. Don't know why this is happening. I then have to switch out of my hdmi 3 and back in. Then I lose hdr but got my sound back.

/edit: deactivated allow yuv 4:2:2 and now I can use 4k 60hz with hdr.

😔 Realy annoying with that dolby atmos delay problem from the xbox 😔

I habe to choose between annoying audio delay in my games or no atmos on 4k 120hz
OR
atmos and 4k 60 hz...

I'm Realy frustrated 😤

/edit: jay was a little bit faster. Same for me 😔

Last edited:
I made another test yesterday. I put my xbox series x into my samsung hw-q70t soundbar and then into my hdmi 4 slot which is the gaming Port with full hdmi 2.1 support.
I got the same results like going into hdmi 3 port.

So maybe my test was limited by the cable from my soundbar to the tv. I ordered an hdmi 2.1 cable yesterday and will try again.

Because with that setup it should output 4k 120hz hdr 10 bit

I have now had my Q90T for several weeks and absolutely love it and I am so glad that I wasn't put off buying it by all the negative comments on this forum (I nearly went for the LG CX but couldn't live with the stress of potential burn-in/image retention). One thing that does puzzle me is why nearly everyone says that "Movie" picture mode is the best as I hate it, the picture is dull, washed out and there is no sharpness whereas "Standard" mode gives a fantastic bright, clear sharp picture without changing any settings.
One YouTube video showing "best" settings for the different picture modes and gives different settings for non HDR and HDR but I can only find one page of settings and there is no reference to HDR, am I missing something somewhere ?

I have now had my Q90T for several weeks and absolutely love it and I am so glad that I wasn't put off buying it by all the negative comments on this forum (I nearly went for the LG CX but couldn't live with the stress of potential burn-in/image retention). One thing that does puzzle me is why nearly everyone says that "Movie" picture mode is the best as I hate it, the picture is dull, washed out and there is no sharpness whereas "Standard" mode gives a fantastic bright, clear sharp picture without changing any settings.
One YouTube video showing "best" settings for the different picture modes and gives different settings for non HDR and HDR but I can only find one page of settings and there is no reference to HDR, am I missing something somewhere ?

Well, configure the TV to your likings. A lot of people (inlcuding me) prefer movie mode or filmmaker mode as they show the pictures how they were intended by the movie producers. For me standard mode is very disturbing and unnatural.

You can change the settings for each mode once you selected it. The TV will remember them. You also have different settings for HDR and SDR. But the TV has to play content in these formats for you to configure the settings.
If you play a movie in HDR you can change the settings for HDR and vice versa.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom