Samsung Q90T thread

I've connected my PC to my 55" 95T. I want to have 1:1 pixelmapping, but I can only chose the standard 16:9 mode. The rest of the options are greyed out. The source is already named "PC", so what are my options?

hi
for 1:1 pixel mapping , you keep 16:9 ratio but you set your pc resolution to 3840x2160 , which is tagged as native resolution.

Hi all, as we received the 1402 firmware in Europe too , i verified my calibration settings, and there is some changes, so people who paid for pro calibration may have to ask for an update :).
my observations are :
- better default calibrated settings
- better color accuracy in dim settings, now default 25 colour saturation can be kept.
- slightly more blue in dark tones... strange.
-10% nits max gain for HDR max calibrated setting, 1016->1150.

unfortunatly still ghosting if you disable game motion flow.

tested HGIG with gran turismo, no gain since we have already a calibrated HDR setting. but to keep in mind if you forgot to tune the PS4 HDR setting.

so i updated all my settings (quite tedious long task.. ) and i added some customized color space calibration for HDR , this enhances mainly the accuracy of the red gradient. Now you can enjoy fully the reddish Shelby porsche 356 in Le mans 66. yes it is full red , and not "bordeaux red kind". just flip between my colour space and the auto one to see the difference.

to follow strictly the curves , i discovered that contrast must be around 25, so to reach specific nit, better first set the luminosity and then tune a bit the contrast. otherwise midtones are darkened and high luminosity overshoot the curve (well that s contrast augmentation lol )

enjoy for firmware 1402 only:

and for people that are still using older firmware:

i don't know if you can try an older firmware via usb , to test.
Neither do I. I have install the latest update that I found and a factory reset after that but without any result. I’ve sent a support request to Samsung and waiting response from them.

hi
for 1:1 pixel mapping , you keep 16:9 ratio but you set your pc resolution to 3840x2160 , which is tagged as native resolution.
that's already my resolution. I think messing with the sharpness is what made it better now. Thanks anyway.

They posted a firmware changelog on the german Samsung community site:

• improved WLAN functions
  • fixed a compatibility issue with one connect box
  • support for wireless DeX functions
  • improved multi-view usability
  • disabled volume adjustment for smartphones while screen-mirroring

I haven't yet read through this thread, but as I posted in the Q80T section, the great thing about the Q90T is that it reatains its picture quality even at quite acute viewing angles. Brightness and contrast on the Q80T are shockingly diminished at even as little as about 25 degrees from fully facing. I didn't have my protractor with me at the time, but the leeway really is very poor.

For game mode

i can give you the one i use in game HDR with latest firmware.
lum 50
contrast 38 , not above or you overshoot the 50% white value
saturation 30
sharpness 0 or 1
localdimming High
dynamic contrast low.
ST2084 -1 (for the same reason above , to keep 50% white correct)
shadow +1
Game Motion plus on , game contrast enhancer 5.

HGIG off , why ? because unless you find a game that uses it correctly, it simply dimmer the max nit to a category2 , so 1000nits max. and i saw burned white while i have no problem when off.

on the PS4 you have also to tune the HDR in PS4 setting in order to tell the PS4 what max nit you have, with the help of their checkerboard. but you must do it AFTER entering the TV settings. moreover , thanks to "clever" samsung gui , the HDR setting on the PS4 is only available if you are already in a HDR game / film.

For SDR, it is easier , it depends on you light env , in dim env you keep saturation to 25. and if you go high in luminosity , you must couterbalance saturation to 18 to 16.
cf my published settings above.

and to remember the contrast in HDR game mode will be always worse that the HDR cinema/filmmaker . so you have to choose either latency or max quality HDR rendering.

Last edited:
i can give you the one i use in game HDR with latest firmware.
lum 50
contrast 38 , not above or you overshoot the 50% white value
saturation 30
sharpness 0 or 1
localdimming High
dynamic contrast low.

Game Motion plus on , game contrast enhancer 5.

HGIG off , why ? because unless you find a game that uses it correctly, it simply dimmer the max nit to a category2 , so 1000nits max. and i saw burned white while i have no problem when off.

For SDR, it is easier , it depends on you light env , in dim env you keep saturation to 25. and if you go high in luminosity , you must couterbalance saturation to 18 to 16.
cf my published settings above.

How would I get the new update or have you got a link? Cheers

How would I get the new update or have you got a link? Cheers
by usb

in fr/be
in USA
Samsung Download Center: Owner's Manuals, Firmware Updates & Drivers | Samsung US and enter the right model.
or choose your country here and find the downloads page of the Q90T/Q95T

by usb

in europe
in USA
Samsung Download Center: Owner's Manuals, Firmware Updates & Drivers | Samsung US and enter the right model.
or choose your country here and find the downloads page of the Q90T/Q95T
Somewhere I read, someone said these updates usually become available to download via the tv itself around 7 days after update is available on usb. Is that correct?

some people prefer to wait for the auto update to prevent manipulation error, i don't know the delay. But if you have an electrical outage, both methods may brick the tv . i have the PC/TV on a backup power UPS to protect them.

some people prefer to wait for the auto update to prevent manipulation error, i don't know the delay. But if you have an electrical outage, both methods may brick the tv . i have the PC/TV on a backup power UPS to protect them.
Yes I usually wait for updates to be available over air as always worried that a corruption to usb stick etc could cause bricked tv. Yes I get there is still a chance even over the air but this is same for every device owned I would assume and never had any issues so far but completely agree that if a power outage did occur at time of update then may suffer an irreversible problem.

the risk of corrupted data should be null ,because you have CRC checks on the usb , and if samsung works correctly , i think in the firmware also. so if your usb stick is working correctly , no risk. i formatted mine to exFAT 8Go, follow their notice to put the files on the stick , then shut off the tv , put the stick and start the tv , the update is automatic , then it restarts the tv automatically, and you wait that the final message pops up that the new firmware is installed. and that's it.

Anyone was able to get dolby atmos through runing a TrueHD blueray movies from usb external hard drive? my soundbar only shows "dolby sourround", but if i run a "regualr" 4k atmos movie its ok. Does the Q95t has a problem with passing TrueHD/Blueray?

I’m looking at buying the Q90T but I won’t be doing ANY gaming on it - just movies/TV/sport

So in my case any plus or minus points associated with gaming or game mode in general can be discounted.

Does this make the Q90T a better or worse fit for me?

I’m looking at buying the Q90T but I won’t be doing ANY gaming on it - just movies/TV/sport

So in my case any plus or minus points associated with gaming or game mode in general can be discounted.

It is a good tv. However, please see the thread on here regarding the current stuttering issues as this is unfortunately a big issue for some at the moment with the 2020 TVs.

if you are a high tv user, you like to let the tv on all day and if you are watching mostly in the day , go for the Q90T , otherwise if you are more a movie watcher in dim environnement , oled will be better for you. another consideration , if you want to keep the tv 10 years, Oled will not last so long, because of linear wear of the pixels. i got both techno, i made some pro/con above in the thread so you can make your mind !

If sport is a priority, you should be aware that the Q90T/Q95T seems to suffer more from dirty screen effect (DSE) than Sony LCD TVs like the XH95. Also you may want to consider a Sony TV for its motion handling, although Samsung's motion is supposedly improved this year compared to last year. For movies and series the Sony XH95 delivers better shadow detail and in general a more accurate image, at the cost of more blooming. The Samsung Q90T/Q95T will quite aggressively dim down small bright objects (and the edges of larger bright objects) to prevent blooming.

i agree also , if sport is priority , sony !
about local dimming , samsung has "corrected" the problem with the firmware. now you can choose between blooming and image pumping, given the local dimming setting. local dimming to low will not trigger dimming, but you have to accept more blooming.

Thanks guys. Appreciate the feedback. I currently have a 2017 Samsung 55” Q7F and like what QLED offers but now I want to take the next step to a larger (65”), higher end screen.

This will be our main TV and will be on a wall in a light lounge and on most of the day so I’m thinking QLED/LCD over OLED. Sports & movies will feature in weekly viewing but in the main it will be normal TV.

The father in law has a Panasonic GZ950 and I actually find OLED too dark! ... although appreciate he hasn’t calibrated it at all ... but it’s enough to keep me away from OLED for the moment.

I’ll also have a look at Sony LCD’s now - thanks for the pointers.

Does the Q95T have a hdmi 2.1 port ? I am reading up on this and cannot seem to find out. I am planning on buying the new xbox and ps5 so having only 1 hdmi 2.1 ports will be a bit of a bummer..

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom