Samsung Q90T thread

Olmaz

well i ve done some times with gran turismo , no extra work :)
so i was in game mode , and applied the SDR bright day settings on it 35/41, BT1886+1, shadow 0 or +1 and enhanced contrast 5, GMP on . it works well , and for saturation , i believe 16 is still the right one , since i found some places oversaturated in the game if i keep 25.
in SDR with the latest firmware, you cannot really go wrong , since it tries to compensate, to follow the curve you define in the BT1886 field. here in bright day config , gamma 2.2 (BT1886+1) is working well. but i feel for night playing it would be too much.
Thanks a lot! I'll see what it gives me, the lack of contrast in SDR Game Mode is really maddening in dark games (GMP seems to help a bit on that count but it is a no go too because of the purple ghosting!).

Just a clarification : when you say "enhanced contrast 5", what setting are you talking about? I guess it's "shadow detail" (the one just below the gamma), right? But it seems it would give a lot of greyish blacks that way...

yuvalsap

Novice Member
So..i updated the sofware to the new one, and now when i watch HDR content, after about ~6 minutes the tv dims it self. What the hell...what can i do? my dimming is always on normal mode.

Olmaz

So..i updated the sofware to the new one, and now when i watch HDR content, after about ~6 minutes the tv dims it self. What the hell...what can i do? my dimming is always on normal mode.
Is your firmware version 1402.x? It seems that update fixed the dimming bug (it certainly did it for me).

yuvalsap

Novice Member
Is your firmware version 1402.x? It seems that update fixed the dimming bug (it certainly did it for me).
yes i have the latest firmware. I knew it was happening on game mode..but for me it happened while watching an HDR movie from the usb drive..

Thanks a lot! I'll see what it gives me, the lack of contrast in SDR Game Mode is really maddening in dark games (GMP seems to help a bit on that count but it is a no go too because of the purple ghosting!).

Just a clarification : when you say "enhanced contrast 5", what setting are you talking about? I guess it's "shadow detail" (the one just below the gamma), right? But it seems it would give a lot of greyish blacks that way...
no i talk about the one in the game settings , under general-extern devices-game settings-dynamic equalizer = 5

yes i have the latest firmware. I knew it was happening on game mode..but for me it happened while watching an HDR movie from the usb drive..
i think there is still a dimming thing when a static scene is on screen. but i did not notice any global dimming issue when watching a film in HDR.

yuvalsap

Novice Member
i think there is still a dimming thing when a static scene is on screen. but i did not notice any global dimming issue when watching a film in HDR.
Just watched 2 Mandalorian episodes (4K HDR) , like a clock - every 6 minutes the HDR is dimming so i dont think it has anything to do with static scenes etc.

Olmaz

no i talk about the one in the game settings , under general-extern devices-game settings-dynamic equalizer = 5
Oh, ok, i see what you mean.

But doesn't that do approximately the same as the Shadow Detail setting? And isn't the result more greyish blacks (especially at 5)?

Con Ti

Novice Member
I was just about to leave my apartment today when I glimpsed at my TV and realized there are some weird spots on it. I think it might be mold since fingerprints look different and usually leave a blue tint on the anti glare screen. I do live in a humid country (Taiwan) but we have a de humidifier at home and I’ve never had any such issue with other electronics or my other TVs.
After gently cleaning it, the anti glare went off on one of the spots and I’m afraid this might happen again.

Anyone here ever encountered a similar thing with their Q90/Q95T?

DBCB904E-F88B-4D30-9ECE-B1C74E8FBC77.jpegFFB32A6F-C9C0-4615-99E2-C105C6A98A15.jpeg

Oh, ok, i see what you mean.

But doesn't that do approximately the same as the Shadow Detail setting? And isn't the result more greyish blacks (especially at 5)?
no, shadow detail enhances or darken near blacks values, while the game dynamic equalizer enhances global contrast.

I was just about to leave my apartment today when I glimpsed at my TV and realized there are some weird spots on it. I think it might be mold since fingerprints look different and usually leave a blue tint on the anti glare screen. I do live in a humid country (Taiwan) but we have a de humidifier at home and I’ve never had any such issue with other electronics or my other TVs.
After gently cleaning it, the anti glare went off on one of the spots and I’m afraid this might happen again.

Anyone here ever encountered a similar thing with their Q90/Q95T?

View attachment 1384244View attachment 1384245
never eat strange things in front of the TV🤣
to clean up only use water and with a drop of neutral soap , gently in circle like a supercar!

tspill

Standard Member
Hi,
I had pretty much decided on the 65Q90T. I have a very bright room so this seemed more suitable than and OLED TV.
Then I started to read about HDR10+ and Dolby Vision.
Id the lack of DV support a big deal? How much of a difference would I notice between the standard HDR10 and DV displaying of content (I understand that all TVs can display static HDR content if broadcast).
Will HDR10+ lose out to DV over time? Seems that DV is starting to win out - though I may be mistaken.

Daveyboy1985

Hi,
I had pretty much decided on the 65Q90T. I have a very bright room so this seemed more suitable than and OLED TV.
Id the lack of DV support a big deal? How much of a difference would I notice between the standard HDR10 and DV displaying of content (I understand that all TVs can display static HDR content if broadcast).
Will HDR10+ lose out to DV over time? Seems that DV is starting to win out - though I may be mistaken.
I honestly don’t think it’s a big deal on these TVs. Certainly wasn’t a deal breaker for me anyway. They handle HDR content really well. There’s a few videos on YouTube about it. One from Stop the FOMO who explains it really well. Basically the main thing regarding HDR is to have a tv that is fully able to produce the standard HDR 10 at a good level, which in my opinion this tv does.

yes, maybe side by side with HDR 10 and DV you may notice a difference in picture but don’t think watching normally you’d have too many complaints.

What do others think?

cuke2u

Hi,
Different formats explained HDR Formats Compared: HDR10, Dolby Vision, HLG, and Technicolor Personally I don't think there, to many owners eyes, much in it..

Does anyone know the best settings to watch
4k content in and on which picture mode?
i published calibrated settings 2 pages ago, with all information you need:

I honestly don’t think it’s a big deal on these TVs. Certainly wasn’t a deal breaker for me anyway. They handle HDR content really well. There’s a few videos on YouTube about it. One from Stop the FOMO who explains it really well. Basically the main thing regarding HDR is to have a tv that is fully able to produce the standard HDR 10 at a good level, which in my opinion this tv does.

yes, maybe side by side with HDR 10 and DV you may notice a difference in picture but don’t think watching normally you’d have too many complaints.

What do others think?
dolby vision seems to win on the long term , but for now , there is no hurry . netflix for example , is doing HDR10 , i tried a BR disc in HDR10+ , if was fine . dolby vision is 12 bits but the tv is 8bits frc , so , even if they added the dolby vision , i don't think that there is a gain. and for dynamic contrast HDR10+ is doing the job.

so if you buy a lot of BR disc in Dolby vision , this may be not the right choice , otherwise , we don't care .. for the moment.

anantind

How do you mean? They just treat it as dead and replaced it?
Yeah, I complained to the store, and they contacted a service center that repairs Samsung TVs. They came and picked it up to be examined in a "controlled environment". A few days later the store e-mailed me and said Samsung had taken the TV back as "dead on arrival" and credited the store. So the store ordered a new one for me, which I am still waiting for almost a month later.

But hearing about how many others are suffering from DSE on these TVs, I am really considering getting a Sony instead, or waiting another year. This year's TV lineup is a bit underwhelming. Seeing as Samsung's top 4K TVs next year are supposedly getting Mini-LED backlights, we should expect a considerable leap in panel uniformity, much better constrast and far less blooming.

Clearandcolour

Yeah, I complained to the store, and they contacted a service center that repairs Samsung TVs. They came and picked it up to be examined in a "controlled environment". A few days later the store e-mailed me and said Samsung had taken the TV back as "dead on arrival" and credited the store. So the store ordered a new one for me, which I am still waiting for almost a month later.

But hearing about how many others are suffering from DSE on these TVs, I am really considering getting a Sony instead, or waiting another year. This year's TV lineup is a bit underwhelming. Seeing as Samsung's top 4K TVs next year are supposedly getting Mini-LED backlights, we should expect a considerable leap in panel uniformity, much better constrast and far less blooming.
You should not expect so much from miniled.. As I see at the youtube from fomo he classified the hisense H9G better than the tcl miniled... And the hisense is the same as the samsung Q90t/Q95T..
As you mention maybe more uniformity.. But contrast will not be a real big difference. As that will be more depending on dimmingzones and panel/screen..

anantind

What do others think?
These videos are a good primer to understand what dynamic metadata formats like Dolby Vision or HDR10+ can do for your TV:

Essentially, dynamic metadata is particularly helpful on TVs with limited dynamic range (especially low peak brightness TVs). A TV capable of peak brightness above 1000 nits will not require any tonemapping to correctly render HDR10 content graded at 1000 nits, and thus the presence or absense of dynamic metadata (whether Dolby Vision or HDR10+) should make no difference, from my understanding. For 4000 nit graded content, all current TVs must apply tone mapping. But if your TV has a high peak brightness accompanied by deep blacks, I think it will generally be able to deliver a great HDR experience with or without dynamic metadata. Dolby Vision content watched on a Samsung Q90T (falls back to HDR10) which is capable of ~1500 nits will be far more impactful than the same content watched on a cheaper TV capable of ~500 nits, even if the latter supports Dolby Vision. Now if you compare two TVs with roughly equal dynamic range capabilites, where one supports Dolby Vision and the other does not, then the one supporting Dolby Vision should have an advantage with Dolby Vision content graded at 4000 nits, at least in theory.

Clearandcolour

These videos are a good primer to understand what dynamic metadata formats like Dolby Vision or HDR10+ can do for your TV:

Essentially, dynamic metadata is particularly helpful on TVs with limited dynamic range (especially low peak brightness TVs). A TV capable of peak brightness above 1000 nits will not require any tonemapping to correctly render HDR10 content graded at 1000 nits, and thus the presence or absense of dynamic metadata (whether Dolby Vision or HDR10+) should make no difference, from my understanding. For 4000 nit graded content, all current TVs must apply tone mapping. But if your TV has a high peak brightness accompanied by deep blacks, I think it will generally be able to deliver a great HDR experience with or without dynamic metadata. Dolby Vision content watched on a Samsung Q90T (falls back to HDR10) which is capable of ~1500 nits will be far more impactful than the same content watched on a cheaper TV capable of ~500 nits, even if the latter supports Dolby Vision. Now if you compare two TVs with roughly equal dynamic range capabilites, where one supports Dolby Vision and the other does not, then the one supporting Dolby Vision should have an advantage with Dolby Vision content graded at 4000 nits, at least in theory.
Okay, then the brand "Oppo" will release a "" S1"" tv with 1.500 nits Quantum Dots, 210 zones (65") and 18 speakers with 85 Watts 5.1.2 Dolby Atmos Oppo kondigt TV-lijn aan met 65 inch QLED vlaggenschip

anantind

You should not expect so much from miniled.. As I see at the youtube from fomo he classified the hisense H9G better than the tcl miniled... And the hisense is the same as the samsung Q90t/Q95T..
As you mention maybe more uniformity.. But contrast will not be a real big difference. As that will be more depending on dimmingzones and panel/screen..
Are you referring to this comparison? The TCL 6 series does use mini-LED, but as far as I know only 240 dimming zones on the 65" and 75". So yes, mini-LED alone will not be enough to improve contrast and blooming. We also need more dimming zones. But using mini-LED at least allows for far more dimming zones to be applied than what is possible with conventional LED backlight. Hopefully Samsung will take the opportunity to make a huge leap in this area. Samsung managed 480 dimming zones on the 65" Q90R. If they use less than 1000 dimming zones on their mini-LED TVs next year, I will be disappointed.

The latest video from AVForums

The Best Movies and TV Shows Coming to Netflix in November 2020: Tom's Thumbs.

Latest News

Tom's Thumbs: What is coming to Netflix in November 2020
  • By AVForums
  • Published
Melco anniversary edition N10 library announced
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Disney+ UK for November 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Denon, Marantz and Yamaha AV receivers hit by HDMI 2.1 bug
  • By Andy Bassett