Samsung Q90T or Q95T

Peteypops123

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm an A/V rookie.

I've currently got an old Samsung tv. It's sat on a tv cabinet with a mess of wires hanging out the back of it. Most content (Disney/Netflix/Youtube etc.) is watched via Chromecast or an Amazon dongles plugged into the back via usb, and also stuff on the Sky Atlantic channel.

I want to go minimal.

I want a new good quality 55" tv to be placed on a Forest Easel Stand. I don't want any unnecessary wires trailing from the back.

Initially I thought the Q95T and it's One Connect box was the solution. But, if all of the Apps I watch are already loaded onto the TV, then I won't need the dongles to be plugged in any more, so do I really need a One Connect Box?

If I get a Q90T (£200 less than the Q95T), and just connect it via Wifi and watch my content via the pre-loaded Netflix/Youtube/Disney Apps, then I can't see the need for any other wires or dongles to be plugged in.

Hi,

I'm an A/V rookie.

I've currently got an old Samsung tv. It's sat on a tv cabinet with a mess of wires hanging out the back of it. Most content (Disney/Netflix/Youtube etc.) is watched via Chromecast or an Amazon dongles plugged into the back via usb, and also stuff on the Sky Atlantic channel.

I want to go minimal.

I want a new good quality 55" tv to be placed on a Forest Easel Stand. I don't want any unnecessary wires trailing from the back.

Initially I thought the Q95T and it's One Connect box was the solution. But, if all of the Apps I watch are already loaded onto the TV, then I won't need the dongles to be plugged in any more, so do I really need a One Connect Box?

If I get a Q90T (£200 less than the Q95T), and just connect it via Wifi and watch my content via the pre-loaded Netflix/Youtube/Disney Apps, then I can't see the need for any other wires or dongles to be plugged in.

Keep in mind that Samsung don't tend to keep their TV's software up to date for very long. And if Samsung's current Tizen offering goes out of fashion a few years down the line, the apps you use may no longer receive updates, and new apps likely won't appear. Not to mention that the TV will not receive security updates for long, so it might be considered dangerous to keep using the built in smart features in a few years. Then you're back to dongle land.

I would also argue that a wired ethernet connection is preferable. I have had my Q95T for not even 2 days now, and it has already lost Internet connectivity once, requiring a restart of the TV to fix it. The Wifi router sits right next to the TV. Granted, it was still connected to the Wifi, but claimed that there was no Internet connectivity. No other devices I was using simultaneously had any such problems. (It is possible that the same issue could have arisen with a wired connection, I guess. I dont know what caused it.)

Keep in mind that Samsung don't tend to keep their TV's software up to date for very long. And if Samsung's current Tizen offering goes out of fashion a few years down the line, the apps you use may no longer receive updates, and new apps likely won't appear. Not to mention that the TV will not receive security updates for long, so it might be considered dangerous to keep using the built in smart features in a few years. Then you're back to dongle land.

I would also argue that a wired ethernet connection is preferable. I have had my Q95T for not even 2 days now, and it has already lost Internet connectivity once, requiring a restart of the TV to fix it. The Wifi router sits right next to the TV. Granted, it was still connected to the Wifi, but claimed that there was no Internet connectivity. No other devices I was using simultaneously had any such problems. (It is possible that the same issue could have arisen with a wired connection, I guess. I dont know what caused it.)
When I had a 2015 Samsung smart tv, the apps continued to be updated as far as I am aware. How long do Samsung usually update tv for then?

About 2 years, I believe. App vendors may of course keep their apps updated for longer. Anyhow, this is the kind of experience you may risk running into: How long does Samsung offer updates for their smart TVs? - Quora

Personally I will use the smart features of the TV as long as they work (and there are no glaring unfixed security holes in the OS), and then I am prepared to shell out for an Nvidia Shield (or similar) in a few years.

Edit: Quoted from this page: Update the software on your Samsung smart TV

Most TVs will get updates with new features for about two years. Updates may still come, but will generally be for fixing issues. You can still add new features to your TV with an evolution kit.

Last edited:

Thanks anantind,

I can definitely see the advantage of the One Connect box in terms if future-proofing my connection options. I definitely don't want to be adding wires to the back of the tv as it'll completely spoil the uncluttered look I'm going for.

Please could you tell me how long the One Connect wire is that comes with the Q95T? I've seen that it's 5m, but also seen that it's 10m? 5m won't be long enough for me. What's putting me off the 95T is that it's an extra £200 from the Q90T, and then I may have to spend an additional £200 on a 10m cable.

Unfortunately my TV was just picked up by two guys from a service center, due to this issue: Samsung Q90T thread

So I can't measure the cable for you, but I am almost certain it was 5 meters and not 10. Also keep in mind you need to be very careful with the One Connect cable. It is an optical cable, so it cannot withstand much bending. The guys who picked up my TV just now told me they have seen many instances of broken One Connect cables. One person they knew of apparently had gone through 4 of them. Makes me a bit nervous, to be honest.

If you plan carefully, you could get a pretty clean look with the Q90T as well. You could get 4 long HDMI cables, plug them all into the TV and run them through a cable concealer to your media unit. But of course quality HDMI cables of such length are expensive too. And you would have to take the power cord into account as well.

Don't buy either. I'm sending my 95T back tomorrow, i'm appalled by the lack of quality.

Don't buy either. I'm sending my 95T back tomorrow, i'm appalled by the lack of quality.
Lack of quality? How do you mean? I noticed I have a few dead pixels on mine but reading the Samsung manual they actually state it’s normal to have a ‘few’ dead pixels. To be honest you can’t notice them in normal viewing so doesn’t affect the viewing at all but annoying as it’s first tv I’ve had where it’s not perfect.
The only other issue I’ve had is the stuttering on 50hz (U.K. content). However, this to me seems more software based so hoping a future update may cure this as apparently the q90r doesn’t suffer with this issue.

Lack of quality? How do you mean? I noticed I have a few dead pixels on mine but reading the Samsung manual they actually state it’s normal to have a ‘few’ dead pixels. To be honest you can’t notice them in normal viewing so doesn’t affect the viewing at all but annoying as it’s first tv I’ve had where it’s not perfect.
The only other issue I’ve had is the stuttering on 50hz (U.K. content). However, this to me seems more software based so hoping a future update may cure this as apparently the q90r doesn’t suffer with this issue.

I made a post yesterday, I get really bad vertical Banding DSE and yesterday also noticed how terrible the anti reflective panel works in my living room compared to a 3 year old mid level oled.

Cracking deal from curry’s finishing tomorrow enter 200TVSAVE at the checkout of the 65 inch model and get it for £1800, really good deal why wait till Black Friday

Attachments

• 0DFD61A2-B129-48F8-B505-5DA6ADFB9089.png
    0DFD61A2-B129-48F8-B505-5DA6ADFB9089.png
    647.4 KB · Views: 68
  • 20A0D083-C24C-452B-B4C2-8A2AFF4190F2.jpeg
    20A0D083-C24C-452B-B4C2-8A2AFF4190F2.jpeg
    147.7 KB · Views: 50
I'd hedge my bet it'll be cheaper for Black Friday and wait.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom