Samsung Q90T - Mr Sheen

ahmed_uk

Standard Member
Hi, hoping someone can advise whether my recent new TV is b*ggered. I bought a Samsung Q90T back in January and really like it. But recently I can see these streak marks on the screen. After mentioning this to the Mrs she confessed she used Mr Sheen to clean the screen :devil:!! I'm absolutely gutted as it looks to me like whatever coating is on the screen has come away.

Are the streaks actually damage to the coating? If so, can anything be done with it to repair it?

Attachments

• IMG_20210512_102137.jpg
    IMG_20210512_102137.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_20210512_102130.jpg
    IMG_20210512_102130.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_20210512_102126.jpg
    IMG_20210512_102126.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_20210512_091506.jpg
    IMG_20210512_091506.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 102

Boostrail

Distinguished Member
Hi, hoping someone can advise whether my recent new TV is b*ggered. I bought a Samsung Q90T back in January and really like it. But recently I can see these streak marks on the screen. After mentioning this to the Mrs she confessed she used Mr Sheen to clean the screen :devil:!! I'm absolutely gutted as it looks to me like whatever coating is on the screen has come away.

Are the streaks actually damage to the coating? If so, can anything be done with it to repair it?
Oh dear! I would buy a good screen cleaner with microfiber cloth and carefully clean screen with this following instructions. What do Samsung say in their instructions about screen cleaning? AFAIK Mr Sheen does not contain an abrasive but is a silicone polish. Any damage is more likely IMHO due to the cloth your Mrs used.
In your pictures it is hard to discern what is actual display, reflections and the "damage". Perhaps photos of a single colour dark blue/dark green/ deep red display in a dark room would clarify. Hopefully what you are seeing is just polish swirls/streaks that can be removed with proper cleaning.
Has prompted me to check out screen cleaning procedure for my recently bought similar spec Sony and to "discuss" with Mrs Boostrail!
Best of luck - let us know how you get on!

Last edited:

ahmed_uk

Standard Member
I think Samsung say just a dry microfiber towel which she actually used but she also decided to spray Mr Sheen on the TV. I'm hoping that it's just the polish like you say and I've read a few things on the forum where some have tried isopropanol to get it cleaned. I might try a normal screen cleaner first before I try isopropanol.

ahmed_uk

Standard Member
So I've managed to get it looking much better by using a dry microfiber cloth to get off some contaminants. I then used a damp one too and that made it look even better. There are still marks but not as noticeable. I've also ordered some isopropanol and will be trying that too.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
I definitely would not use Isopropanol as that could lift the screen coating off.
Stick to microfibre cloths and water only.

Agent Noble

'Gyeon Glass' and a 420gsm microfibre will remove those marks with no diverse affects to the anti-glare coating. I use it regularly on my 2019 & 2020 QLED's having used it for years on BMW instrument clusters / iDrive screens which have a similar anti-glare coating and never had an issue.

ahmed_uk

Standard Member
The good news is I managed to get it all cleaned and the marks have gone away. I don't think the anti reflective coating has come away either so I'm happy. In the end I used isopropanol 99% but mixed it at a 50:50 ratio with water and all the embedded streaks are now gone and the screen is crystal clear.

ahmed_uk

Standard Member
I should have added that I don't think I'll use the isopropanol again as I was quite nervous attempting it but glad it worked out.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom