Samsung Q90R QLED Owners and Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Torn between getting the 55" Q90r or the LG C9

Torn between getting the 55" Q90r or the LG C9

As much as I like the C9, and I do. Those blacks are amazing. The brightness of the Q90 and the peace of mind from burn in drew me to the QLED. Both amazing TV's don't think you can go wrong with either.

As much as I like the C9, and I do. Those blacks are amazing. The brightness of the Q90 and the peace of mind from burn in drew me to the QLED. Both amazing TV's don't think you can go wrong with either.
That's whats pulling me towards the Q90, The brightness and the viewing angles as it will be a living room TV , Does the lack of dolby vision really make a difference from hdr10+ ?

That's whats pulling me towards the Q90, The brightness and the viewing angles as it will be a living room TV , Does the lack of dolby vision really make a difference from hdr10+ ?

No not at all, put it this way, my old TV, Hisense U8B had Dolby Vision, and all content on the Q90R looks a lot better. Don't let that put you off.

A TV with these specs, side by side maybe.

Let's imagine two Q90's and they both support Dolby Vision

One on the left HDR10 vs one on the right Dolby Vision.

And the content was mastered in Dolby, then yes you might see a slight difference, but even then it's close, you'd have to see them side by side.

Specs are the most important aspect. Don't be fooled into it.

Slightly off topic, but has anyone used the latest nvidia shield, if so what's your verdict on the ai upscaling?

Slightly off topic, but has anyone used the latest nvidia shield, if so what's your verdict on the ai upscaling?
Snap..... tossing up (reeeeeeee) between a Sheild TV Pro or a fire TV Cube... I need that Alexa integration.

No not at all, put it this way, my old TV, Hisense U8B had Dolby Vision, and all content on the Q90R looks a lot better. Don't let that put you off.

A TV with these specs, side by side maybe.

Let's imagine two Q90's and they both support Dolby Vision

One on the left HDR10 vs one on the right Dolby Vision.

And the content was mastered in Dolby, then yes you might see a slight difference, but even then it's close, you'd have to see them side by side.

Specs are the most important aspect. Don't be fooled into it.
Thanks mate, thats what i was thinking, i'll pull the trigger tomorrow :)

I have the latest shield, 2019 Pro. The picture always looks good, no matter what source I throw at it. The TV itself is an excellent upscaler anyway though. I mostly watch 4k stuff on my shield so it's difficult to I know.

I'm certainly never disappointed with it and it gives me all the video and audio formats I need as well as running my IPTV sub without any problems. I currently have mine plugged in directly to my Q80 soundbar as the TV doesn't have as eARC yet.

Which mount would you recommend for Samsung Q80 55"? I would like TV to be recessed in the chimney wall.

Ideally, a slim mount would be good.

Hey John Lewis have just got another load of stock in for the 90r. Just to let ppl know. Is this a good TV for the next gen consoles?. Hdmi 2.1?. 4k 120fps Etc?. Don't want to pull the trigger and find out no.

Hey John Lewis have just got another load of stock in for the 90r. Just to let ppl know. Is this a good TV for the next gen consoles?. Hdmi 2.1?. 4k 120fps Etc?. Don't want to pull the trigger and find out no.
No 2.1

I was just eyeing up the B9 on the John Lewis website just with the cover for burn in seems like a great deal and you essentially don't have to worry about burn in as they will just fix or repair it for free, but I had a LG B7 at one point and it got sent back because it had burn in after 6 months and having to nanny them 24/7 and change content it becomes laborious i don't know if i can be bothered with all that again

When i ended up back with my Ambilight after sending the B7 back it was such a relief and felt an absolute luxury to just be able to leave it on and not worry, there would be times where i'd fall asleep with YouTube on or something when i had the B7 and I would wake up thinking sh*t and then check the screen for any damage, it's all just a big headache for me, as sweet as they are and the features they have for gaming I wouldn't feel comfortable with using one for long sessions even if it was covered and the banding is an irritant as well not sure how they fare these days but my panel had bad vertical banding on things like skies and big areas of colour

Always wanted a high end Samsung and the Q90R really appeals to me, plus it has basically every gaming feature needed for the PS5 so, could be tempted to go down the John Lewis route and get something like a Q950R when the price drops using the voucher off the insurance when the OLED eventually/inevitably breaks, or just skip all that faffing and just get a Q90R as it's a beautiful set

I'd go for a Q950R now but they're far too expensive for me at the mo and the Q90R for a grand is almost irresistible

Cheapest i can find is £1199 for the Q90 , Richer sounds will do it a bit cheaper with 6yr warranty £1150, any better deals?

Cheapest i can find is £1199 for the Q90 , Richer sounds will do it a bit cheaper with 6yr warranty £1150, any better deals?
I'm not sure about the warranty but people are getting Q90R's 55 inch versions price matched to an offer on at PRC Direct where you can get it for £1049

I'm not sure about the warranty but people are getting Q90R's 55 inch versions price matched to an offer on at PRC Direct where you can get it for £1049
Thanks mate, i can see the £100 off bringing it to £1099 , :smashin:

Thanks mate, thats what i was thinking, i'll pull the trigger tomorrow :)
Hi mate, I spent a month or two deliberating between the TVs you mentioned. With similar decisions! Including the lack of earc (hopefully resolved with an update) as I’d purchased a Sonos Arc which needs it for full functionality. The sway to a Q90 was the brightness and zero risk of screen burn. I’ve had LG for the last 10 years too. The q90r Is great in my bright room, the kids can leave Sofia the first on pause for 2 days without risk! Also the soundbar fits perfectly on the stand, whereas the LG wouldn’t. It’s the little reasons that matter to me.
Needless to say. I love the tv.

I bought from Currys because my options ran out with John Lewis. They matched the PRC price. Fingers crossed it stays good for the next 5 years!

Sorry I was thinking if the £49 extra you pay if you want the studio stand lol, £1099 it is yeah

Everyone seems to steer clear of PRC but that bundle they have on is superb I may try and get mine from them (or price match)

Took me awhile to figure out on my KS8000 (with help from here) that on video games, the general HDR settings (in game) were 1200 peak brightness and 400 Paperwhite, what are people using "in game" on the Q90R? Say on AC Origins for example.
Ac origins and Odyssey hdr setting explanation is not clear enough, i prefer the 10% window setup (battlefield v or battlefront 2) where you match both sides to match, even the last of us 2's setup for hdr is the similat to the assassins games, a huge number of people struggle setting it correctly (me being one)

I was just eyeing up the B9 on the John Lewis website just with the cover for burn in seems like a great deal and you essentially don't have to worry about burn in as they will just fix or repair it for free, but I had a LG B7 at one point and it got sent back because it had burn in after 6 months and having to nanny them 24/7 and change content it becomes laborious i don't know if i can be bothered with all that again

When i ended up back with my Ambilight after sending the B7 back it was such a relief and felt an absolute luxury to just be able to leave it on and not worry, there would be times where i'd fall asleep with YouTube on or something when i had the B7 and I would wake up thinking sh*t and then check the screen for any damage, it's all just a big headache for me, as sweet as they are and the features they have for gaming I wouldn't feel comfortable with using one for long sessions even if it was covered and the banding is an irritant as well not sure how they fare these days but my panel had bad vertical banding on things like skies and big areas of colour

Always wanted a high end Samsung and the Q90R really appeals to me, plus it has basically every gaming feature needed for the PS5 so, could be tempted to go down the John Lewis route and get something like a Q950R when the price drops using the voucher off the insurance when the OLED eventually/inevitably breaks, or just skip all that faffing and just get a Q90R as it's a beautiful set

I'd go for a Q950R now but they're far too expensive for me at the mo and the Q90R for a grand is almost irresistible

I'm still having this debate in my head. I've s seen the John Lewis extended warranty. It's great. But o game alot and looking at getting the new xbox at some point. I keep going between r the 90r, 80t, B9 and C9. :(.

90r. I'm not completely sure 90r can go up to 4k@ 120fps. Espically at 10 bit.

(even tho tho I don't expect the new games to do that)

80t has HDMI 2.1 officially. But is a worse TV.

B9/C9. R both great tv's but burn in. But the warrenty covers that. But still don't want to babysit the TV and call out the extended warranty ppl every 6/8 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom